Overlanding.. Do you really need a 4x4?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Overlanding.. Do you really need a 4x4?

Guys I was wondering. On a normal overlanding trip to Bots, Moz or Nam. Do you really need a 4x4?
    Will a normal 4x2 with difflock do the trick.
    I know its a how long is a piece of string type question and a lot of factors come into play, but how often do you use 4wd on a 2500 km overlanding trip?
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2016 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI SE S-Tronic 3Dr

Default Overlanding.. Do you really need a 4x4?

I would say itís dependent on what your type of overland trip is, especially if youíd like to explore the lesser known regions of Africa.

You could do most of any overland trip with a 4x2 but being stuck in extremely isolated areas can become highly dangerous and if nothing else it might force you to abandon your trip because you canít make it through a tough section.

Just my 2c
    Last edited by pjf110; 2019/08/26 at 09:35 AM.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

FWM

Default Re: Overlanding.. Do you really need a 4x4?

Overlanding= 4x4. Road trip to Bots or Nam = 4x2 in my book. Needing it once on a trip is enough.
    Pieter

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bones For This Useful Post:

It all depends on where you go. A lot of overlanding trips can easily be done in a 4x2. But some tracks and weather conditions just make a trip easier with a 4x4. Planning is the key to any trip

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mplester For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Guys I was wondering. On a normal overlanding trip to Bots, Moz or Nam. Do you really need a 4x4?
    You can do parts of Namibia and Botswana with a 4x2 high clearance vehicle.

There are however parts, like Nxai pan, Linyanti, Savuti, Moremi, CKGR (especially the access up to Deception pan), Mabua where you will need 4 x 4 end of story. These areas are in Botswana, we have not ventured into riverbeds in Namibia as yet, but there you will also need a 4x4.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

With preparation and planning, maybe not.......

https://www.africa-overland.net/Bio-...irit-Adventure
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    With preparation and planning, maybe not.......

https://www.africa-overland.net/Bio-...irit-Adventure
    Exactly, in the old days very few travelers overlanded with 4x4s they used beetles normal cars and a 4x2 bakkies with canopy and not even a diff lock, but I guess times have changed, so i guess the answer is rather have it and don't need it instead of not having it and then needing it.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2016 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI SE S-Tronic 3Dr

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

..........and Citroen 2 CV's.

What a trip that must have been..............8)
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

On a lighter note..When do you lock those free wheel hubs.....just before you need them.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) old and wise at 844 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD reaching puberty at 103 000 km

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    On a lighter note..When do you lock those free wheel hubs.....just before you need them.
    On our NP300, we just lock them when we get to the dirt and engage 4x4 as and when needed. Unlock again at the end of the day

I know its a how long is a piece of string type question and a lot of factors come into play, but how often do you use 4wd on a 2500 km overlanding trip?
    It depends what your definition of overlanding is.... and where you intend on going.

A big thing as well, is taking into consideration the requests received by many people managing tracks - "please engage 4x4 because it has less of a damaging effect on our tracks".
    For me I would definitely feel more at ease with a 4x4 given the ability to get unstuck a little easier compared to a 4x2 (yes, experience aside)...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mtber For This Useful Post:

Lxv

These days a lot of people call a road trip "overlanding" as soon as they hit a gravel road.
    The definition of overlanding by the Overland Journal, which is in it's essence shared by many "real" overlanders is:

Overlanding describes self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal. Typically, but not exclusively, accommodated by mechanized off-highway capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping; often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and often spanning international boundaries. While expedition is defined as a journey with a purpose, overlanding sees the journey as the purpose.Overlanding is about exploration, rather than conquering obstacles. While the roads and trails we travel might be rough or technically challenging, they are the means to an end, not the goal itself. The goal is to see and learn about our world, whether on a weekend trip 100 miles from home or a 10,000-mile expedition across another continent. The vehicle and equipment can be simple or extravagant - they, too, are simply means to an end. History, wildlife, culture, scenery, self-sufficiency - these are the rewards of overlanding.

https://overlandjournal.com/what-is-overlanding/

A 4x2 bakkie with enough ground clearance certainly can be regarded as "off highway capable transport". However, as mentioned before, a lot of places might be out of reach. You could certainly travel to Botswana and get to certain lodges or camp sites and book game drives and other activities. Same in the more remote places of Namibia, like Damaraland, Kaokoveld, southern Namib, Kalahari etc. But doing these game or nature drives on your own (=self reliant) might in most cases not be an option.
    In the end it very much depends on your expectations, planning and how long your piece of string is.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Let me tell you from the mouth of real world experience - been there done that.

No you don't need it. You will be able to get where you need to to go, mostly easily, as you stick to well used roads. (Notice the bold need)
    However, you will not always be able to go where you want to go, once in an area.
    Sitting at home base when the neighbor's 4x4 is going out to do something will be creating an itch that will demand to be scratched at some point.

If you are planning a few of these trips, have the money, then just get a 4x4 version of the vehicle you planned to get.
    Once you buy that 4x2 and ends up in a no-go zone, things becomes real.
    You will thank me later.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

For me, having 4x4 is peace of mind.
    90% of the time it might not be needed but it is there when the situation arises.
    I do however engage 4x4 on most dirt roads as it helps with ride quality and stability

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Frog For This Useful Post:

I'm with frog above on this.
    I always use 4x4 on dirt tracks, and once off the 'main road to get to somewhere' thats almost all the driving I do on an 'overlanding' trip.
    In many parts of Bots and Namibia, you could plan a trip and stay on reasonable quality gravel roads, and see lots of interesting places. 2WD fine, and a diff lock for sure helpful if eg a bit muddy etc.
    However, it would not take very long at all to find yourself very close to somewhere you really wish to be, and 4x4 is the only option.
    I would be very concerned about ending up unable to proceed, and to turn around and go back hugely problematic.
    I would personally never consider a 2x4 trip. Too much to worry about. Too many opportunities missed.

D

Exactly, in the old days very few travelers overlanded with 4x4s they used beetles normal cars and a 4x2 bakkies with canopy and not even a diff lock, but I guess times have changed, so i guess the answer is rather have it and don't need it instead of not having it and then needing it.
    Yeah, thats kind of what I normally tell people when they ask me which is the best survival knife, my answer being the knife you happen to have on you. Like most things, you dont need it till you need it but the lack of a 4x4 should not stop you from getting out there and doing stuff
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

FWM

There was a young couple in a Nissan 1400 bakkie with a homemade tent on it that went very far into Africa, they only fitted wider wheels on it for the deep sandy bits. I can't really recall all the details tho, but I remember being impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    For me, having 4x4 is peace of mind.
    90% of the time it might not be needed but it is there when the situation arises.
    I do however engage 4x4 on most dirt roads as it helps with ride quality and stability
    Quote Originally Posted by IanK View Post
    I'm with frog above on this.
    I always use 4x4 on dirt tracks, and once off the 'main road to get to somewhere' thats almost all the driving I do on an 'overlanding' trip.
    In many parts of Bots and Namibia, you could plan a trip and stay on reasonable quality gravel roads, and see lots of interesting places. 2WD fine, and a diff lock for sure helpful if eg a bit muddy etc.
    However, it would not take very long at all to find yourself very close to somewhere you really wish to be, and 4x4 is the only option.
    I would be very concerned about ending up unable to proceed, and to turn around and go back hugely problematic.
    I would personally never consider a 2x4 trip. Too much to worry about. Too many opportunities missed.

D
    Having or not having 4x4 can be likened to having or not having a condom.

I bought a 4x4 because of that very issue. Its there when I need it.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

Along the Mozambique coast there are a few nice beaches that are hard to reach in 4x2 because of thick sandy tracks.

In the rainy season northern Moz is very muddy and boggy, hard to negotiate in 4x4 , let alone 4x2.

I think your destination (within the country) and the time of the year are very important.

Always interesting to see comments on this question, not the first time it has come up.

How I see it is this,
    when we were younger, we did not have 4x4 and therefore we made do with what we had,
    we did not have high clearance vehicles, so we had a spade and we pushed. We did not tow the latest camp trailer, so if we got stuck, we pitched our tent on the driest bit of ground, sat around a fire burnt some meat and then came up with a solution. We used a Litre of water for a body wash and we smelt au naturel.

Of course now times have changed and soap now has added perfumes, the meat is feedstock raised and the latest trailers are affordable, as are 4x4 equipped vehicles.

Do we need one to go on a good trip, NO we do not. Is it better if we do have one, well... YEAH .....

but, if you do not have the adventure gene, it matters not a jot what you drive
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

32. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast