Freelander II PCV valve service life

Default PCV valve service life

My service schedule for the FL2 TD4 doesnít mention anything about the service interval for the PCV valve.

At what interval should this be serviced/replaced? Is there an upgrade or improved version to look out for?

It it is clear mine needs some attention, starting to get some oil into the intake pipes and itís definately coming from the PCV/ crankcase breather set up.

Can you vent the crankase pressure to atmosphere on the TD4 (through a filter/catch can setup obviously), instead of pushing it into the intake manifold.

Default Re: PCV valve service life

PVC valve should last a long time you could go through a catch tank, the reason why they divert it back to the intake is so the harmful gases that get released by the oil in crank can be burnt up in the combustion chamber, if you are getting excessive crank pressure then rings could be on way out
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

Doubt the rings are on the way out, the car starts as easily as ever, and does not smoke or lack performance at all. I would also say crankcase pressure is not excessive, but it has become noticable, when it wasnít before.

Surely there must be a filter in the PCV that needs to be replaced at some point. I have been googling but not finding anything conclusive.

You can just clean out the pcv with some carb cleaner. Just remove it and spray carb cleaner in it until it is clear fluid coming out. Then just spray some wd40 in it to lubricate it. It would also be good to check your intake system for unwanted amounts of oil and clean it out.
    Last edited by Splint; 2019/08/26 at 08:03 PM.

Where is this valve located in the engin bay

Quote Originally Posted by Chris raptor View Post
    Where is this valve located in the engin bay
    I do not have a pic of the bay as I do not own one. Send me a pic and I will show it to you.