Ford & Mazda Pedal booster?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pedal booster?

Default Pedal booster?

What is the best product option available?

With various options available what has been your installation of choice? And why?

If vehicle specific, mine is a 2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Ltd.
    Andre

2013 Toyota Fortuner D-4D 3.0 Raised Body A/T
    2015 Specialized Epic Elite MTB

Default Re: Pedal booster?

Quote Originally Posted by andrek View Post
    What is the best product option available?

With various options available what has been your installation of choice? And why?

If vehicle specific, mine is a 2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Ltd.
    I bought an Idrive unit, worked really well until it got a mind of its own. It was only installed for 3 hours...
    I was cruising along at 70km/h, when all of a sudden the vehicle dropped two gears and went flat out. I jumped on the brakes and kicked down again. I eventually came to a stop and turn the ignition off.
    I removed the unit right there next to the road. What happened if my other half was driving? No doubt that it would have ended in an accident.
    I will never use a throttle modulator again.

My 2c
    Current: Toyota FJ Sport Cruiser

Previous: VW Amarok ULTIMATE 4motion (auto)
    Previous: Amarok 4motion (MT) with a few goodies
    Previous: Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 not that many goodies
    Prevous: Isuzu KB360 4x4 with a few goodies

Quote Originally Posted by jonoB View Post
    I bought an Idrive unit, worked really well until it got a mind of its own. It was only installed for 3 hours...
    I was cruising along at 70km/h, when all of a sudden the vehicle dropped two gears and went flat out. I jumped on the brakes and kicked down again. I eventually came to a stop and turn the ignition off.
    I removed the unit right there next to the road. What happened if my other half was driving? No doubt that it would have ended in an accident.

My 2c
    That sounds terrible Jono, thanks for the feedback. Will definitely avoid that unit. A friend of mine has had his unit in for few thousand kms and just fitted his new Ranger as well. Makes a great difference
    Andre

Quote Originally Posted by jonoB View Post

My 2c
    Wow, thatís scary!

Iíve been using idrive for 3 years now, no issues with mine.

I have a 2014 Bt50 3.2
    Heike Pinto,

- 2014 Mazda BT-50 3.2TD 4x4 AT
    3" Exhaust | iDrive | HDi Intercooler Upgrade | Forefront Industries Alloy Boost pipes | Hybrid Turbo | 30% Nozzles | K&N Air Filter
    Fuel Injection Technology ECU Tune

-2009 Isuzu Dmax 3.0 TD 4x4 MT

Maputo, Mozambique

5. The Following User Says Thank You to heikeedwin For This Useful Post:

If you want better performance and power delivery beyond what the factory intended, then please go about it the right way! Donít just slot in an aftermarket device that tricks the engine control systems into delivering more diesel!

step 1. Fit some sort of accurate EGT gauge (this is becoming less critical as modern vehicles do monitor this, and have coolant alarms etc as standard, but still.... especially if whatever you are going to fit is going to override the built in safety systems on your motor)

step 2. Fit an aftermarket exhaust, get as much of the restriction out of the pipe.

step 3. Fit an unrated intercooler, that allows the car to breath better, and improved your low down torque (so you donít need a pedal booster)

step 4. Have the car remapped on a Dyno by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

If if thatís still not enough for you, then start fiddling with hybrid turbos, overboost mechanisms, etc etc, or sell the 3 ton off-road SUV and buy yourself a sports car (or a Range Rover)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    If you want better performance and power delivery beyond what the factory intended, then please go about it the right way! Donít just slot in an aftermarket device that tricks the engine control systems into delivering more diesel!

step 1. Fit some sort of accurate EGT gauge (this is becoming less critical as modern vehicles do monitor this, and have coolant alarms etc as standard, but still.... especially if whatever you are going to fit is going to override the built in safety systems on your motor)

step 2. Fit an aftermarket exhaust, get as much of the restriction out of the pipe.

step 3. Fit an unrated intercooler, that allows the car to breath better, and improved your low down torque (so you donít need a pedal booster)

step 4. Have the car remapped on a Dyno by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

If if thatís still not enough for you, then start fiddling with hybrid turbos, overboost mechanisms, etc etc, or sell the 3 ton off-road SUV and buy yourself a sports car (or a Range Rover)
    +1

Exhaust
    Air filter
    Remap
    Intercooler
    Hybrid turbo
    30% nozzles

In that order .. hybrid turbo and/or nozzles will require a retune
    Heike Pinto,

3" Exhaust | iDrive | HDi Intercooler Upgrade | Forefront Industries Alloy Boost pipes | Hybrid Turbo | 30% Nozzles | K&N Air Filter

Maputo, Mozambique

What does a pedal booster actually do?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Increases the throttle's response mainly, thereby removing some lag. I have had the iDrive on my Wrangler since April. For R2000 this has to be the best "mod" for the money. Makes a huge difference in driveability.
    Last edited by Alwyn777; 2019/08/25 at 08:11 PM.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alwyn777 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heikeedwin View Post
    +1

Exhaust
    Air filter
    Remap
    Intercooler
    Hybrid turbo
    30% nozzles

In that order .. hybrid turbo and/or nozzles will require a retune
    Which is best air filter to replace with without warranty issues and if you remap do they ajust the throttle response as well?
    Andre

Quote Originally Posted by andrek View Post
    Which is best air filter to replace with without warranty issues and if you remap do they ajust the throttle response as well?
    Iím using k&n inbox air filter, no issues with warranty in Mozambique.. better check with your dealer first

Yes remap will adjust throttle response as well, and will definitely void warranty, if they know about it
    Heike Pinto,

Maputo, Mozambique

14. The Following User Says Thank You to heikeedwin For This Useful Post:

Interupts the signal between the ECU and the fuel pump/injector rail, tricking the car into overfueling to spool the turbo faster and improve throttle response, and then burns a hole in your piston....

pedal boosters Ed are dangerous because they override the vehicle systems and work by feeding false data into sensors. A proper remap achieves the same result, whiteout compromising the engine management

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post:

Interupts the signal between the ECU and the fuel pump/injector rail, tricking the car into overfueling to spool the turbo faster and improve throttle response, and then burns a hole in your piston....

pedal boosters Ed are dangerous because they override the vehicle systems and work by feeding false data into sensors. A proper remap achieves the same result, whiteout compromising the engine management
    Is the pedal booster some kind of sophisticated inline voltage or current booster, with a response curve map loaded, to force the pump into giving a momentary extra squirt of fuel at low throttle openings?

Fitted pedal box from DTE nearly 2 years back. I love it and no problems.
    2009 WK 5.7, OME 2" suspension, free flow no cats with harmonic chamber

19. The Following User Says Thank You to skala For This Useful Post:

Nonsense

All the idrive and pedal boosters does is increase/decrease throttle sensitivity. It has zero affect on fueling/boost etc.

Basically what it does, you press the throttle 50%,it tells the ecu you have it planted at 60%, you press the throttle 75%, it tells the ecu you have it at 90%, the 100% is still 100% but with the pedal boosters you only have to plant the pedal half way or so to get there, this makes the vehicle feel like its faster but actually you just have a sensitive throttle.

What RPier described above is what majority of the off the shelf piggy back's does that connects to the ecu.
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec
    ex 1998 Toyota Conquest RSi

Is the pedal booster some kind of sophisticated inline voltage or current booster, with a response curve map loaded, to force the pump into giving a momentary extra squirt of fuel at low throttle openings?
    Almost, lets say for this example the factory drive by wire system is a 5v linear system, that means that taking your foot off the accelerator will gives 0v to ecu and flooring it gives 5v to the ecu, for this example when you have the pedal 50% pressed it gives 2.5v, but instead the pedal booster changes this to 3v which means the ecu thinks the pedal is pressed 60%, the pedal booster just changes this curve away from linear to a more logarithmic scale which increases sensitivity, at max it still only sends what your drive by wire is capped at and system allows which is the 5v in our specific example. the ecu still receives a voltage of between 0-5v from the pedal (even if the pedal booster is plugged in and active) and use that 0-5v to reference the various tables in the ecu
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec

Quote Originally Posted by rambo7 View Post
    Nonsense

All the idrive and pedal boosters does is increase/decrease throttle sensitivity. It has zero affect on fueling/boost etc.

Basically what it does, you press the throttle 50%,it tells the ecu you have it planted at 60%, you press the throttle 75%, it tells the ecu you have it at 90%, the 100% is still 100% but with the pedal boosters you only have to plant the pedal half way or so to get there, this makes the vehicle feel like its faster but actually you just have a sensitive throttle.

What RPier described above is what majority of the off the shelf piggy back's does that connects to the ecu.
    Agree....it basically does what most vehicles do with "sport" mode.
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

ry die kar soos hy is, hel jy betaal R600/700k plus en dan neuk jy hom op met 'n peddle gedoente..
    TDI
    Boskriek 814
    Dries de Kock

Quote Originally Posted by JuanB View Post
    Agree....it basically does what most vehicles do with "sport" mode.
    Actually, sport mode has a lot more to do with the gearbox algorithms than with the throttle response itself.... essentially making the box shift down sooner when overtaking/inclines etc, and holding gears longer while accelerating. in more sophisticated cars, the sport mode actually changes a whole lot more than that (changes mapping, gearbox settings, suspension settings, LSD sensitive etc etc)

if a pedal booster really does work the way you guys say it does, than itís an even more stupid thing to fit! If all it does is trick the ECU into thinking you have pressed the peddle further than you actually have, but the max stays the same, then why not just press the peddle a little deeper down when you want to go faster?

seriously.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post:

Actually, sport mode has a lot more to do with the gearbox algorithms than with the throttle response itself.... essentially making the box shift down sooner when overtaking/inclines etc, and holding gears longer while accelerating. in more sophisticated cars, the sport mode actually changes a whole lot more than that (changes mapping, gearbox settings, suspension settings, LSD sensitive etc etc)

if a pedal booster really does work the way you guys say it does, than itís an even more stupid thing to fit! If all it does is trick the ECU into thinking you have pressed the peddle further than you actually have, but the max stays the same, then why not just press the peddle a little deeper down when you want to go faster?

seriously.
    LOL...ok genius...please go improve your google knowledge some further...its clear you have NO idea what you are talking about and have heard some terms thrown around and made your own conclusions
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    ex 2012 VW Polo GTi
    ex 2008 Audi A4 TDi
    ex 1998 Honda Civic Vtec

Quote Originally Posted by rambo7 View Post
    LOL...ok genius...please go improve your google knowledge some further...its clear you have NO idea what you are talking about and have heard some terms thrown around and made your own conclusions
    Really?

If you are going to shoot someone down, you need to, at least, say why.

A pedal booster just reads your throttle input and tells the ecu something else as a throttle input. Its that simple.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast