The uncontrolled price of diesel at filling stations - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: The uncontrolled price of diesel at filling stations

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    please elucidate

the fuel price is published in the public domain on every forecourt
    once again a statement without substantiation or content
    What’s wrong with you. Why are you attacking me.

I actually supported your statement.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by StevensJF View Post
    If you on Discovery Insure you get up to 25% back (limits and stuff apply), either cash or to fund your excess. This also softens the price of diesel a bit.

I guess the other question is the quality of diesel in South Africa. Some might be cheaper but not necessarily better...

This is true but as mentioned lower down there is a cap. The current R4,50 per litre in ebucks is higher than 25% aswell.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ooba For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    The discovery rebate is really useless. Been there done that. The rebate applies to something like the first 2000 Rand per month spent, I use that up in a week.....

Well it depends. For some people, specifically retired or work from home people, R2000 may be more than their monthly fuel bill.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

Drama queen alert, head still hurting from last night??

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by StevensJF View Post
    If you on Discovery Insure you get up to 25% back (limits and stuff apply), either cash or to fund your excess. This also softens the price of diesel a bit.

I guess the other question is the quality of diesel in South Africa. Some might be cheaper but not necessarily better...
    The 2 garage / fuel suppliers that are part of the Discovery rebate system are the most expensive in my area. It is cheaper / more cost effective for me to fill up at the places that charge less per litre. Each person's circumstances will dictate what is the best for them, that is why I'm for the system as it is now for Diesel.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thys Willemse View Post
    Maybe there is a simple answer that I don't know, but today again I noted that within a radius of 10 km, all Shell filling stations, the price of 50 ppm diesel varies from R 15.79 to R 16.23 per liter

Why can't they do the same as they do with the price of petrol?
    What do you really prefer? Free market or communist system with fixed prices..........?
    Regards,
    Hans

http://www.wildpicture.com/

Overland trips with rented 4x4's in South Africa, Botswana, Nambia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
    (Toyota Hilux DC, Landrover Defender 110)
    1999-2005 Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4
    2016- Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4

self deleted
    Last edited by jelo; 2019/09/11 at 06:37 AM.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Are you sure you want that.

Virtually everybody else is punting for uncontrolled fuel price so it can be discounted and you can shop around for best price.
    One must consider very carefully -especially in our climate of dire need of development -the control of primary input costs -such as fuel, electricity,water,transport,communications... -these are currently best regulated by state regulators ( consider NERSA on Eskom demands? -where might we be be without such body?) -once we have reached market and population sophistication, we can consider a shift to full free-market system if this is best. In this instance market control is still necessary to prevent collusion/price-fixing/profiteering by the members of the producer oligopolies that control 99% of market share

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Price controls may have been good long time ago but not now. As a result of them diesel drivers suffer due to poor quality diesel, refineries are outdated as the pricing mechanism doesn't allow proper cost for upgrades....

In several countries where there are no price controls you get an app giving price of fuel. It is called competition.
    I would think that realistic and unbiased price-regulation would lead to a better market/product in our current scenario.Regulators would build in the correct portion required for upgrades etc.

And fuel stations with cheap fuel will happily co-operate.

I see legal problems however.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    please elucidate

the fuel price is published in the public domain on every forecourt
    once again a statement without substantiation or content
    Thanks -details are always good!

? -Fluffy -you have this tendency to get all fluffed up very quickly! Also often to respond in manner to simply refute/ declare a point, without expanding on your reasoning.

Well it depends. For some people, specifically retired or work from home people, R2000 may be more than their monthly fuel bill.
    I am puzzled -sometimes you write people off as 'cheap' for wanting to attempt a personal project ( even if they make it clear they are interested in the process) rather than spend to buy a 'new/better' one, now you are every retiree's penny-counter?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildpicture View Post
    What do you really prefer? Free market or communist system with fixed prices..........?
    Regulation to some degree is necessary -especially in developing countries -or those with poor record of compliance and oversight.
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

Thumbs up Re: The uncontrolled price of diesel at filling stations

I use a place called "Diesel Drive" in Honeydew, R14.63 for 50ppm. I'm sure there are other bulk suppliers out there with similar pricing. No fancy forcourts and excessive staff, just a yard, tanks and a couple of pumps.
    The next best I can do in my area is Total in Weltevreden Park for R14.90.
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

Tanker drivers replace diesel with paraffin and at least in case of 93 octane SASOL petrol with water.

One big problem especially in the case of diesel are dirty tanks.

Diesel produced by our old refineries is not what it should be.
    Diesel from the SA refineries are up to spec and subject to rigorous testing before being certified. The problem is that after that, control is very difficult. Most of the reputable fuel transporters also take great care these days. Cases of drivers adding paraffin is rare. Dirty tanks and dishonest backyard depots are the real problem - cannot say what happens there.
    ZS6VL

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An3s For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by An3s View Post
    Diesel from the SA refineries are up to spec and subject to rigorous testing before being certified. The problem is that after that, control is very difficult. Most of the reputable fuel transporters also take great care these days. Cases of drivers adding paraffin is rare. Dirty tanks and dishonest backyard depots are the real problem - cannot say what happens there.
    It might be to a spec but to which spec. The one old local or the latest European?
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Kalahari (Occasional visitor to Morningside)

I have actually never paid attention to this, I suppose the only way to know is to drive to the actually garage. Is there a place in the sandton vicinity that charges less than the others?
    Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
    Occasional: 2014 Audi A8L V8 - The Boat
    Towing van: 2008 Touareg V10
    Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
    Farm car: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
    Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
    Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC

In and around Cpt, more and more filling stations are advertising even more reduced diesel on Weekend / Sundays and cash only.

Oh yes, OP's original post is
    Last edited by Howie-WP; 2019/08/25 at 04:56 PM.
    HOWIE-WP,
    RoadCar: 2008 VW Golf5 .:R32
    OffRoad Car: 2006 VW Touareg 4.2 v8
    "Settle for nothing less than the object of your desire"-Bjork

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie-WP For This Useful Post:

It might be to a spec but to which spec. The one old local or the latest European?
    Jouko

Jy gorrel net sonder enige feite of detail.

SA rafineerders is 100% op standaard. Hulle kan nie bekostig om kortpaaie te vat nie.

Ek koop my diesel by net een verskaffer wat sy voorraad net by Sasol kry. Niemand anders nie. Ek kan nie bekostig om goedkoper aan te skaf nie al kry ek ten minste 2 aanbiedings per week. Een kliënt se enjin daarmee heen en ek kan my besigheid sluit.

Die groothandelprys per liter vir al die dieseltipes is elke dag in die dagblaaie te lees. Die verkoper moet darem ook ń winsfaktor inbou en dit word bepaal deur sy ligging, unievereistes en oorhoofse kostes. Daarom kan klein depots (soos myne) maklik R1/L goedkoper as die "brand" om die hoek vir dieselfde produk wees.
    Wees versigtig vir pryse minder as die groothandelprys of begroot vir enjinherstelwerk.

Pasop vir produk wat via Mosambiek inkom. Dit is nie op standaard nie en ouens voeg bymiddels by om dit aanvaarbaar te maak, tot een dag. Daar is heelwat haaie in hierdie bedryf...

Hoe sal jy tog weet?
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thys Willemse View Post
    Maybe there is a simple answer that I don't know, but today again I noted that within a radius of 10 km, all Shell filling stations, the price of 50 ppm diesel varies from R 15.79 to R 16.23 per liter

Why can't they do the same as they do with the price of petrol?
    Why on earth would you want any price to be regulated?

Let the market decide what anything should cost, not the government.

It is actually the unions keeping the regulated process in place. And the government listens to the unions.

Their fear is that many attendants will loose their jobs once the control is lost.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Fuelio app gives prices around your location .. not all but pretty much most.
    Price controls may have been good long time ago but not now. As a result of them diesel drivers suffer due to poor quality diesel, refineries are outdated as the pricing mechanism doesn't allow proper cost for upgrades....

In several countries where there are no price controls you get an app giving price of fuel. It is called competition.
    VW Amarok V6 4Motion Highline Plus
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Jouko

Jy gorrel net sonder enige feite of detail.

SA rafineerders is 100% op standaard. Hulle kan nie bekostig om kortpaaie te vat nie.

Ek koop my diesel by net een verskaffer wat sy voorraad net by Sasol kry. Niemand anders nie. Ek kan nie bekostig om goedkoper aan te skaf nie al kry ek ten minste 2 aanbiedings per week. Een kliënt se enjin daarmee heen en ek kan my besigheid sluit.

Die groothandelprys per liter vir al die dieseltipes is elke dag in die dagblaaie te lees. Die verkoper moet darem ook ń winsfaktor inbou en dit word bepaal deur sy ligging, unievereistes en oorhoofse kostes. Daarom kan klein depots (soos myne) maklik R1/L goedkoper as die "brand" om die hoek vir dieselfde produk wees.
    Wees versigtig vir pryse minder as die groothandelprys of begroot vir enjinherstelwerk.

Pasop vir produk wat via Mosambiek inkom. Dit is nie op standaard nie en ouens voeg bymiddels by om dit aanvaarbaar te maak, tot een dag. Daar is heelwat haaie in hierdie bedryf...

Hoe sal jy tog weet?
    Thanks to Google I did managed to read it. Few years back refineries asked additional money into the price to be able to upgrade the refineries. Government declined and the upgrades were cancelled according to personnel working on two different refineries. I go to them from time to time. During the last year or so I have been only to SASOL and I have never asked there what they do. Government had actually a deadline for the refineries to do the upgrades. That deadline was not kept due to money issue.

One of the big mines gets diesel directly from a refinery. They changed the refinery and problems with the trucks started. When I was finishing a diesel related contract there they were waiting for the contract to run out to be able to switch back.

There are problems with our supplied diesel. Dirt in the tanks is definitely one but also the quality. Some car makes have not brought in specific diesel engines because of this.

One small area in UK had diesel engine failures couple years back. Suspected reason was poor quality Russian diesel - never proven. Other than that I have not seen issues in Europe. I just need to read a bit on this forum to find threads on failed diesels.

I attach one study paper. It is several years old but is still valid. Reading it might prevent some engine failures.

Here is one short article:
    https://www.iol.co.za/business-repor...ations-2063696

It is not only sulfur content. There are many other issues to the diesel quality. Petrol has its own issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    It is actually the unions keeping the regulated process in place. And the government listens to the unions.

Their fear is that many attendants will loose their jobs once the control is lost.
    I am not sure is the price regulation and attendants in the same law but we have a law, which was made during the old times. When the law was revised by the current management they retained in the law section, which bans self serving stations. It was a policy to give employment for less educated people.

P&P tried for years to be allowed to discount petrol. Failed. You can see still what they did. Outside every big P&P there is a petrol station ready to go when they can start discounting.

There were strict rules against all kind of discounting the petrol and they were enforced. I remember a case where one brand was giving small stickers to children if you filled up. That was considered discounting and was banned. I do not know how these e bugs etc. are possible today. Either the law is changed or not enforced.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Drama queen alert, head still hurting from last night??
    Odd way to ask a question though, what was the other interpretation that would have been “non-drama-queen”

once again a statement without substantiation or content”

Love your neighbour. That’s about it, it’ll be the world we want.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast