Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013





Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    48
    Posts
    30
    Thanked: 4

    Default Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Good morning all

    I am looking at buying a second hand Audi A6 3.0 TDI Auto 2013 model. After driving an A4 2.0T for 10 years, I think its time for an upgrade.

    Are there any problems or issues that I should look our for? I am looking at mileage between 80 000 and 120 000 km's.

    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by dieandereen; 2019/08/23 at 09:18 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,389
    Thanked: 705

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Nope, if anything you are moving to a more reliable car.

    Just check for normal wear and tear, there really are no big ticket common problems on this.

    Something expensive that will wear down is the front suspension bushes / arms / links. That will be pricey, but are normally only replaced every 150k to 200k km.

    Also check for the auto box to shift smoothly, and if it was my purchase, I will have the oil drained and have the filters changed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    60
    Posts
    569
    Thanked: 183

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Multitronic or Auto?
    Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town - RSA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,628
    Thanked: 314

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    When I was looking around a while back you could get A8's for more or less the same money. Just a thought.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    48
    Posts
    30
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by zx14 View Post
    Multitronic or Auto?
    Definitely auto of some form. I have hears that multi is safer than s-tronic? Not sure if there is a choice though. I had the multi on my a4 and loved it

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    48
    Posts
    30
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    When I was looking around a while back you could get A8's for more or less the same money. Just a thought.
    I am actually open to an A6, A7 or A8.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    48
    Posts
    30
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by clubbie View Post
    Nope, if anything you are moving to a more reliable car.

    Just check for normal wear and tear, there really are no big ticket common problems on this.

    Something expensive that will wear down is the front suspension bushes / arms / links. That will be pricey, but are normally only replaced every 150k to 200k km.

    Also check for the auto box to shift smoothly, and if it was my purchase, I will have the oil drained and have the filters changed.
    Thanks clubbie

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    44
    Posts
    918
    Thanked: 640

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by zx14 View Post
    Multitronic or Auto?
    3.0TDI did not come with the multitrouble gearbox, it has a proper autobox
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,389
    Thanked: 705

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    3.0TDI did not come with the multitrouble gearbox, it has a proper autobox
    Most accurate description ever.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    42
    Posts
    364
    Thanked: 53

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    The 3.0TDI quattro's have S-Tronic
    front wheel drives (although some are 2.7TDI) are Multitronic
    Current:

    2019 Tiguan Allspace 2.0TDI 4Motion DSG R-Line
    2019 Cross Up!
    2016 Metalian Maxi

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    60
    Posts
    569
    Thanked: 183

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoCampers View Post
    The 3.0TDI quattro's have S-Tronic
    front wheel drives (although some are 2.7TDI) are Multitronic
    Yip. only Quattro with S-Tronic.
    Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    35
    Posts
    588
    Thanked: 227

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    3.0TDI did not come with the multitrouble gearbox, it has a proper autobox
    Nope. That vintage A6 3.0 TDI non-quattro had Multitronic. Quattro had either Tip or S-tronic. Can't be bothered to Google now.

    That said, wife's uncle ran a 2013 model with the multitronic gearbox to ~170k km without issues.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

    SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    44
    Posts
    918
    Thanked: 640

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    Nope. That vintage A6 3.0 TDI non-quattro had Multitronic. Quattro had either Tip or S-tronic. Can't be bothered to Google now.

    That said, wife's uncle ran a 2013 model with the multitronic gearbox to ~170k km without issues.
    consider me educated, I did not think the multitronic would cope with the torque of the V6 diesel
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,903
    Thanked: 2560

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    My son sold his B5 Audi 3.0 petrol with multitronic box earlier this year on 158000km without a days trouble. But the oil was changed religiously every 60 000km. Still one of the most amazing drives ever for me. That engine and gearbox is an unbelievable combination.
    But yeah I've heard of plenty problems but guess its service related.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,084
    Thanked: 438

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    My son sold his B5 Audi 3.0 petrol with multitronic box earlier this year on 158000km without a days trouble. But the oil was changed religiously every 60 000km. Still one of the most amazing drives ever for me. That engine and gearbox is an unbelievable combination.
    But yeah I've heard of plenty problems but guess its service related.

    Also owned a Multitronic Audi and its a really amazing gearbox. But yes, servicing does play a big role and not many garages back then were able to work on them either
    Some car, some bike and two legs

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    60
    Posts
    569
    Thanked: 183

    Talking Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Luckily, we have a Stephan
    Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Kalahari (Occasional visitor to Morningside)
    Age
    39
    Posts
    37
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: Buying advice Audi A6 3.0Tdi 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by dieandereen View Post
    I am actually open to an A6, A7 or A8.
    Test drive an A8, night and day difference between the 6,7.

    The V8 is EXTREMELY thirsty though. I use mine as a daily and fuel is about 2k a month and this is on less than 1000 km/month. But that is the only really expense I have had on this car over 4 years. Insurance will be steeper compared to the 6 as well.
    Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
    Occasional: 2014 Audi A8L V8 - The Boat
    Towing van: 2008 Touareg V10
    Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
    Farm car: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
    Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
    Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •