National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

Default National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

Good Day All,

I am at the point of buying an off-road trailer with a battery system in.
    I already have a National Luna solenoid connected in my bakkie to a second battery in the canopy.
    Is there a way and or is it possible to use this very same solenoid to charge both batteries, the one in my canopy and the one in the trailer? If it is possible, how does it work and what can I do?

Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

Absolutely.
    On my vehicles the same.
    Install a BH plug near the tow bar and connect to your bakkie aux battery.
    When hooking the trailer then plug the two together.
    The solenoid will see both batteries as one.
    Would be good if both batteries are similar and from same batch for better efficiency.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Absolutely.
    On my vehicles the same.
    Install a BH plug near the tow bar and connect to your bakkie aux battery.
    When hooking the trailer then plug the two together.
    The solenoid will see both batteries as one.
    Would be good if both batteries are similar and from same batch for better efficiency.
    Quite so.

Just one small thing. There is no benefit nor requirement for similar batteries in this application. Whilst the batteries may be in parallel during charging they will be driving different loads while discharging and thus at very different states of charge. Even if the trailer is left connected to the car while stationary they are sufficiently decoupled due to cable lengths so as to make it a futile quest.

Think on this in a common installation. The car has a 80AH Exide starter batter and a 105AH Deep Cycle in the back, yet they are in parallel when the solenoid operates.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Quite so.

Just one small thing. There is no benefit nor requirement for similar batteries in this application. Whilst the batteries may be in parallel during charging they will be driving different loads while discharging and thus at very different states of charge. Even if the trailer is left connected to the car while stationary they are sufficiently decoupled due to cable lengths so as to make it a futile quest.

Think on this in a common installation. The car has a 80AH Exide starter batter and a 105AH Deep Cycle in the back, yet they are in parallel when the solenoid operates.
    What if the batteries in the trailer are LiFePO4?

Your idea will work fine.

While I had the same setup with the NL selenoid and aux battery in the back, I opted not to use the selenoid to charge the batteries in the caravan while travelling. My biggest concern was voltage drop because of the distance from the main battery to the caravan batteries. Too much voltage drop will result in the batteries in the caravan never being fully charged while driving. In reality not that big a thing since when you connect to 220V, they will be fully charged again.

There was also the consideration of using solar panels, which I wanted to do. The result was that I totally bypassed the NL selenoid, running a direct line from the main battery to the connector at the back of my vehicle. From there it runs to a WRND controller which protects the main battery, is a DC to DC controller resolving the voltage drop issue and allows for charging with solar panels.

Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

I just have a feeling to save on cable thickness and then use dc to dc to help out is penny wise pound foolish?

Although I do measure voltage drop going to the caravan it was never enough to justify more Rands spending on fancy stuff.

In my cased 1x aux battery in the tow vehicle and 2x in the caravan.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Pic from NL DIY manual.

Name:  Screenshot from 2019-08-25 18-24-02.png
Views: 100
Size:  147.6 KB

Seems wiring size here is important.

https://www.nationalluna.com/wp-cont...t-DIY-2018.pdf
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    I just have a feeling to save on cable thickness and then use dc to dc to help out is penny wise pound foolish?

Although I do measure voltage drop going to the caravan it was never enough to justify more Rands spending on fancy stuff.

In my cased 1x aux battery in the tow vehicle and 2x in the caravan.
    Agree that DC to DC simply to save on cable thickness alone, does not make sense. As I said, even if your batteries do not fully charge while driving, this is typically a temporary situation. Of course, if you do do trips where you will not be close to 220V power for days, then this situation changes. Then you will most probably be looking at solar charging and suddenly a DC to DC controller like the WRND becomes very attractive.

Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods