National Luna Intelligent Solenoid





Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Burgersfort
    Age
    26
    Posts
    28
    Thanked: 1

    Default National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Good Day All,


    I am at the point of buying an off-road trailer with a battery system in.
    I already have a National Luna solenoid connected in my bakkie to a second battery in the canopy.
    Is there a way and or is it possible to use this very same solenoid to charge both batteries, the one in my canopy and the one in the trailer? If it is possible, how does it work and what can I do?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillrise, Kempton Park
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,926
    Thanked: 1313

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Absolutely.
    On my vehicles the same.
    Install a BH plug near the tow bar and connect to your bakkie aux battery.
    When hooking the trailer then plug the two together.
    The solenoid will see both batteries as one.
    Would be good if both batteries are similar and from same batch for better efficiency.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    18,856
    Thanked: 6464

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Absolutely.
    On my vehicles the same.
    Install a BH plug near the tow bar and connect to your bakkie aux battery.
    When hooking the trailer then plug the two together.
    The solenoid will see both batteries as one.
    Would be good if both batteries are similar and from same batch for better efficiency.
    Quite so.

    Just one small thing. There is no benefit nor requirement for similar batteries in this application. Whilst the batteries may be in parallel during charging they will be driving different loads while discharging and thus at very different states of charge. Even if the trailer is left connected to the car while stationary they are sufficiently decoupled due to cable lengths so as to make it a futile quest.

    Think on this in a common installation. The car has a 80AH Exide starter batter and a 105AH Deep Cycle in the back, yet they are in parallel when the solenoid operates.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

    The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,716
    Thanked: 644

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Quite so.

    Just one small thing. There is no benefit nor requirement for similar batteries in this application. Whilst the batteries may be in parallel during charging they will be driving different loads while discharging and thus at very different states of charge. Even if the trailer is left connected to the car while stationary they are sufficiently decoupled due to cable lengths so as to make it a futile quest.

    Think on this in a common installation. The car has a 80AH Exide starter batter and a 105AH Deep Cycle in the back, yet they are in parallel when the solenoid operates.
    What if the batteries in the trailer are LiFePO4?

  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Beyerspark
    Age
    51
    Posts
    438
    Thanked: 291

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Your idea will work fine.

    While I had the same setup with the NL selenoid and aux battery in the back, I opted not to use the selenoid to charge the batteries in the caravan while travelling. My biggest concern was voltage drop because of the distance from the main battery to the caravan batteries. Too much voltage drop will result in the batteries in the caravan never being fully charged while driving. In reality not that big a thing since when you connect to 220V, they will be fully charged again.

    There was also the consideration of using solar panels, which I wanted to do. The result was that I totally bypassed the NL selenoid, running a direct line from the main battery to the connector at the back of my vehicle. From there it runs to a WRND controller which protects the main battery, is a DC to DC controller resolving the voltage drop issue and allows for charging with solar panels.

    Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillrise, Kempton Park
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,926
    Thanked: 1313

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    I just have a feeling to save on cable thickness and then use dc to dc to help out is penny wise pound foolish?

    Although I do measure voltage drop going to the caravan it was never enough to justify more Rands spending on fancy stuff.

    In my cased 1x aux battery in the tow vehicle and 2x in the caravan.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Friemersheim, Southern Cape
    Posts
    4,286
    Thanked: 3110

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Pic from NL DIY manual.

    Name:  Screenshot from 2019-08-25 18-24-02.png
Views: 464
Size:  147.6 KB

    Seems wiring size here is important.

    https://www.nationalluna.com/wp-cont...t-DIY-2018.pdf
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

    "Socialism only works in two places: Heaven where they don't need it and hell where they already have it." -Ronald Reagan.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Beyerspark
    Age
    51
    Posts
    438
    Thanked: 291

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    I just have a feeling to save on cable thickness and then use dc to dc to help out is penny wise pound foolish?

    Although I do measure voltage drop going to the caravan it was never enough to justify more Rands spending on fancy stuff.

    In my cased 1x aux battery in the tow vehicle and 2x in the caravan.
    Agree that DC to DC simply to save on cable thickness alone, does not make sense. As I said, even if your batteries do not fully charge while driving, this is typically a temporary situation. Of course, if you do do trips where you will not be close to 220V power for days, then this situation changes. Then you will most probably be looking at solar charging and suddenly a DC to DC controller like the WRND becomes very attractive.

    Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

  12. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Welgelegen, Cape Town
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,946
    Thanked: 167

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Reviving an old post here...

    If using the Nat Luna Solenoid system, and, you have a 80amp main battery, and a 102 amp batt as you auxilliary, how does the system avoid that the 80 amp main battery is not overcharged??

    Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

  13. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Beyerspark
    Age
    51
    Posts
    438
    Thanked: 291

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein Jack View Post
    Reviving an old post here...

    If using the Nat Luna Solenoid system, and, you have a 80amp main battery, and a 102 amp batt as you auxilliary, how does the system avoid that the 80 amp main battery is not overcharged??
    I see no one has made the effort to answer you yet. I was hoping that someone a heck of a lot more knowledgeable than me would take a stab at this by now.

    As far as my understanding goes, the selenoid is a fairly simple system and does not have the capability to monitor the voltage of the battery. It simply manages when the aux battery is charged by first allowing time for the alternator to charge the main battery before opening the circuit to the aux battery. It also protects the main battery from being discharged by the aux battery by cutting the circuit between the two when the alternator is not running.

    Anyway, if you did not have the selenoid in place, what would have protected the main battery from being overcharged? Adding the selenoid into the mix doesn't change the charging of the main battery in any way. It simply manages the charging of the aux battery.

    Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillrise, Kempton Park
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,926
    Thanked: 1313

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    ń Goeie artikel oor Solenoid vs DC-DC in die nuutste Wegry & Sleep.

    Kom basies neer op die vlg
    - As jou alternator 13.9V laai is ń solenoid beter.
    - As jou alternator 13.5V laai is DC-DC beter.

    Short en sweet.

    My kar getoets en hy laai 13.9. Die huidige solenoid bly net waar hy is.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    55
    Posts
    269
    Thanked: 133

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    My Hilux se alternator output ook gemeet. "Under load" en terwyl ek ry laai hy teen 14.2V.

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillrise, Kempton Park
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,926
    Thanked: 1313

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Quote Originally Posted by Viertrek View Post
    My Hilux se alternator output ook gemeet. "Under load" en terwyl ek ry laai hy teen 14.2V.
    Jy moet hom meet wanneer die 2e battery papperig is, sÍ maar so vanaf 11.8V. Dan werk jou alternator optimum.
    14.2V is wanneer die batterye soortvan volgelaai is.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:


  19. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,733
    Thanked: 258

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    ń Goeie artikel oor Solenoid vs DC-DC in die nuutste Wegry & Sleep.

    Kom basies neer op die vlg
    - As jou alternator 13.9V laai is ń solenoid beter.
    - As jou alternator 13.5V laai is DC-DC beter.

    Short en sweet.

    My kar getoets en hy laai 13.9. Die huidige solenoid bly net waar hy is.
    Sak jou laai voltage nie sodra die hitte in die engine bay meer raak nie?

    Ek stem saam met jou beginsel van "eenvoudige"/tried and tested solenoid. Daar is plek vir dc2dc, maar meederheid van ons hier op hierdie forum sal dit vir voldoen(solenoid)

    Ek self gebruik die nuuter weergawe cyrix ct120 combiner.

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillrise, Kempton Park
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,926
    Thanked: 1313

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Soos ek sien sak die V soos die batterye vol word.
    Werk ook so met my Ctek-10 laaier.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

  21. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    319
    Thanked: 1045

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    How does it cope with an intelligent alternator?

  22. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,733
    Thanked: 258

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    How does it cope with an intelligent alternator?
    unfortunately the intelligent solenoid does not.

    my FIL had his existing from hardbody installed into D40 Navara grey NL box. We only noticed after the first time using it, that is is not charging when driving.

    Luckily the Nissan Navara has a little plug on the earth terminal that make it a normal charging alternator once unplugged.


    Smart alternators, you would need to look into DC2DC, if a simple solution like mine is not possible.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:


  24. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    319
    Thanked: 1045

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    unfortunately the intelligent solenoid does not.

    my FIL had his existing from hardbody installed into D40 Navara grey NL box. We only noticed after the first time using it, that is is not charging when driving.

    Luckily the Nissan Navara has a little plug on the earth terminal that make it a normal charging alternator once unplugged.


    Smart alternators, you would need to look into DC2DC, if a simple solution like mine is not possible.
    Thanks I suspected that might be the case.

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,443
    Thanked: 854

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    All I like about the NL solenoid is the SOC leds, the intelligent thing I bypass and connect the solenoid activation wire to the wiper motor wiring where it has power while the ignition is on.
    Johan Kriel

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,733
    Thanked: 258

    Default Re: National Luna Intelligent Solenoid

    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    All I like about the NL solenoid is the SOC leds, the intelligent thing I bypass and connect the solenoid activation wire to the wiper motor wiring where it has power while the ignition is on.
    must say the delay/timer was a bit of a ball ache when fault finding. 5min before the solenoid kicks in

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •