TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,135
    Thanked: 1289

    Default TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    My Disco 2 TD5 has what I can describe as a "drone" noise which occurs in a narrow band between about 2000 and 2250rpm.

    Above and below that, it is smooth, but it happens in all the gears and while revving freely.


    Googling the problem, is it clear that this is a common problem experienced by many (if not eventually almost all) owners and yet there is not a single reference to where a solutions was found.

    It also seems that there is no evident ill-effects that propagates beyond this vibration and that the irritation of it is the biggest problem.

    To get around it, is as easy as simply driving over or under it, but it is irritating if the speed you are forced to cruise at happens to be in that range.


    I cannot yet figure out if the problem is more noticeable in the Auto than the manual, but it seems to happen in both, and regardless of ancillaries like ACE bolted tot he motor.

    Further more, it seems that here and there engines other than the TD5 has the same problem and that it gets to the point that "this is how they are".


    From my quick assessment then, it can only be on the engine side and since it was on most of them not there since new and only later in life, sure are hell there must be something that cause it that can be repaired.

    Some people reckons it being a 5-cylinder has something to do with it. Perhaps it could be, but on the other hand 5-cylinders have been running for decades in many applications and this is not a default 5-cylinder engine-type problem.


    Does anyone know if a cure has been found yet?


    My idea for now it to at least connect a knock sensor on various parts of the motor and at least put in on an oscilloscope so that one can determine if it happens in cycles at the same RPM, or half RPM or whatever.
    Last edited by biltong; 2019/08/23 at 06:52 AM.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    34,942
    Thanked: 10058

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Harmonics are a sod.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    B-gowrie Randburg
    Age
    64
    Posts
    500
    Thanked: 194

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    The turbo typically comes in between 1800 and 2200 revs but its a welcome upstaging ‘event’ and not
    something Ive in anyway thought to be problematic ... no conspicuous or discrete sound or vibration pick-up just feel more capability coming from the motor.
    Possibility that the turbo coming in on your motor/s emphasises/highlights some other problem/s ?
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2019/08/23 at 07:07 AM.
    * The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251
    Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...
    2002 130 DC HCPU //81 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8.
    75 Series3 88 PUP.//17 Metalian Mini (Home from Home)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,135
    Thanked: 1289

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    Possibility that the turbo coming in on your motor/s emphasises/highlights some other problem/s ?
    No.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    320
    Thanked: 69

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Hi Biltong

    Yes the Td5 vibrations. A bugger to diagnose. If you say it happens when you rev it freely you can narrow it down to the engine other than when the vehicle is moving because that brings all sorts of moving parts into the mix.
    I also have a vibration and got it narrowed down to the engine mounts or the harmonic pulley.

    Mine not so continous but noticable.
    ONE LIFE!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildkyker For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,135
    Thanked: 1289

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildkyker View Post
    Hi Biltong

    Yes the Td5 vibrations. A bugger to diagnose. If you say it happens when you rev it freely you can narrow it down to the engine other than when the vehicle is moving because that brings all sorts of moving parts into the mix.
    I also have a vibration and got it narrowed down to the engine mounts or the harmonic pulley.

    Mine not so continous but noticable.
    Engine mounts are brand new on mine. Thew other were really buggered. Off course that alone made one helluva difference. But it aint good enough.

    Have not checked the pulley yet, but that is definitely on the list.
    Last edited by biltong; 2019/08/23 at 08:41 AM.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    52
    Posts
    661
    Thanked: 58

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Would be interesting to find out what it is. Have the same on mine, but I suspect it could be engine mountings, as she has 300K kms already.

    Another irritating drone noise I have is around 1500 RPM, which sounds as if it is from the exhaust system. Here I suspect the expansion thingy on the exhaust just below the turbo could be the culprit as it is just a noise and not a vibration.
    .................................................. ......
    Gary W


    Discovery 2 (Td5) Best 4x4xfar
    BMW GS 1200 Adventure. For when the road ends...
    Jurgens XT120..home away from home.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,135
    Thanked: 1289

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    They do say the flexplate also develops cracks around the bolts.

    The reality is that it may not be one part, but a combination of parts that goes which cause it.

    So it may be the pulley AND the flex plate.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,135
    Thanked: 1289

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    I decided to replace that pulley in any case.

    It can result in a fairly catastrophic failure due to age, and I certainly would not want that to happen in the middle of nowhere.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tesselaarsdal (dis inni Kaap!)
    Age
    59
    Posts
    967
    Thanked: 559

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Biltong, you're busy overloading my "subscribed" threads...
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    34,942
    Thanked: 10058

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Harmonic balancer is my first guess. If it is manual, then the dual mass flywheel is the second suspect.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,135
    Thanked: 1289

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Harmonic balancer is my first guess. If it is manual, then the dual mass flywheel is the second suspect.
    That would be my guess as well.

    Anything that has to dampen vibration, has to go first. No point in any evaluation before that.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,135
    Thanked: 1289

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    Biltong, you're busy overloading my "subscribed" threads...
    Jong, jy sal versigting moet wees.

    My hartjie is pikswart en ek vertroetel hom om so te bly.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:


  18. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chintsa East
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,304
    Thanked: 408

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Flywheel.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,135
    Thanked: 1289

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    Flywheel.
    Auto...
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,897
    Thanked: 2551

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    It may be totally unrelated, but I have picked on some engines where the intake system causes a drone at certain revs. Maybe disconnect at the intake manifold and take it for a run. Just an idea.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,135
    Thanked: 1289

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    It may be totally unrelated, but I have picked on some engines where the intake system causes a drone at certain revs. Maybe disconnect at the intake manifold and take it for a run. Just an idea.

    Francois,


    For the moment, I doubt it is that. The drone is not only sound, it gets transmitted along the exhaust system as well and with the middle box on my one that was an abortive installation, I initially though it was that.

    I had that rectified yesterday, and there is a good improvement, but only because the new system are now equally suspended on the brackets where as the previous one was straining against them.


    It seems that the general way things are going is that at it was not there when new, and sort of develops within a short period of time somewhere in future.

    I am inclined to think that the crank pulley - or as Land Rover calls it - the harmonic balancer is the most likely culprit and a good candidate to replace not only for possibly solving this problem, but because it can fail catastrophically.

    For now, I am going to make that my first point of call.


    Koos
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

    "Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

    "A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

    "...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

  22. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,431
    Thanked: 710

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    If you're going to change the flex plate get this one, more expensive but will last longer.

    https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.c...c-4713-hd.html

  23. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,897
    Thanked: 2551

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    I would imagine that on a 5 cylinder diesel a harmonic balancer will get a bit of a workout, so not a bad idea to replace irrespective.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:


  25. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Richards Bay
    Age
    32
    Posts
    200
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: TD5 Engine Vibration at 2250 rpm: Anyone found the cure yet?

    Mine did this, TD5 D90, not even Land Rover Empangeni could tell me what it was, I took a chance on the flywheel.

    Turned out I was 100% on the money, replaced it and all was fine.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacoviss For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •