My first MB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first MB

Default My first MB

Hi guys

I have had this hunger for a while, to own a E class MB, specifically the E280 or E320. I finally have the chance to own my first ever MB, and its a 1998 e280, with, a few niggels of course. Well for what Im paying for it, a few niggels are to be expected. Body seems in fair condition, with no visible rust around windows and tailgate area. The drive, just as smooth as I imagined, like a boat. No smoking, water or oil leaks visible from underneath the car. Gear changes are not even noticeable. Had diagnostics done on it, and clean as a whistle. Seats, dash and the rest of the interior are in good condition, the silver paint along the edges of the rear bumper seem to be fading a bit, rear passenger window does not work, passenger side mirror is loose, some major curb rash, and a small dent rear right corner. There are a few thing I would like to ask. This would be spark plug type, Google seems to give me several possible plug types. The more populer type costs about R220 easch, and this engine takes 12. Alot of money for spark plugs. So any other alternative would be appreciated. Then transmission oil type. I would like to drain whatever is left in there, and fill up to proper level with the proper oil. This is where Im gob smacked. So much, and Im not sure which one and where to start looking for it. I believe it has the 722.6 gearbox, which, according to Google, is one hell of a gbox. Initially didnt need topping up, but that has since change. And lastly, where do I get new and secondhand parts for the W210 mb, in the Cpae Town area.

I would appreciate any info or advice

Cheers

Default Re: My first MB

Ballistic I really don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but that range of E class was probably the worst MB ever built. They really had a reputation for inferior quality as far as Mercs go. My advice would be to look for something else.

But that's just my opinion
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Enjoy it I remember my first Benz a 23oE W124 I think it was. 4 speed manual, huge boot 4 cylinder 2 cams. I was so bucked.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Ballistic I really don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but that range of E class was probably the worst MB ever built. They really had a reputation for inferior quality as far as Mercs go. My advice would be to look for something else.

But that's just my opinion
    I disagree completely. Those 280 E were awesome. Cheap to maintain built like a tank and smooth as silk!

Mine unfortunately met a Kudu by accident and was written off.

The 240 was a dodgy engine but 280 wow.

Won't swop that for a new one. Don't like the new flimsy Mercs at all.
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Hi guys

I have had this hunger for a while, to own a E class MB, specifically the E280 or E320. I finally have the chance to own my first ever MB, and its a 1998 e280, with, a few niggels of course. Well for what Im paying for it, a few niggels are to be expected. Body seems in fair condition, with no visible rust around windows and tailgate area. The drive, just as smooth as I imagined, like a boat. No smoking, water or oil leaks visible from underneath the car. Gear changes are not even noticeable. Had diagnostics done on it, and clean as a whistle. Seats, dash and the rest of the interior are in good condition, the silver paint along the edges of the rear bumper seem to be fading a bit, rear passenger window does not work, passenger side mirror is loose, some major curb rash, and a small dent rear right corner. There are a few thing I would like to ask. This would be spark plug type, Google seems to give me several possible plug types. The more populer type costs about R220 easch, and this engine takes 12. Alot of money for spark plugs. So any other alternative would be appreciated. Then transmission oil type. I would like to drain whatever is left in there, and fill up to proper level with the proper oil. This is where Im gob smacked. So much, and Im not sure which one and where to start looking for it. I believe it has the 722.6 gearbox, which, according to Google, is one hell of a gbox. Initially didnt need topping up, but that has since change. And lastly, where do I get new and secondhand parts for the W210 mb, in the Cpae Town area.

Cheers
    Neil Sauls

Hi
    You can try Disa Auto Services in the Helderberg area. Speak to Pieter Oosthuisen on 021 854 4893.
    Pieter specializes in MB ex MB trained.
    Neil Sauls

Neighbour down the street has one, its a '99 E320. It has now done around 400,000 kilos on original everything, but front suspension is a bit warn and clanking yet still it runs smooth and quiet.

You can use Shell 134 transmission fluid, but not sure about what sparkplugs on that V6.

I had a 1997 C230 with the 4 cylinder engine, and mercs are very finicky when it comes to the correct plugs - I used the bosch one that was recommended by the dealers, cant remember the numbers on it but it was the most expensive one, although I only needed 4 It didnt idle correctly and would sometimes stall when its in drive and the AC on, and after the new spark plugs it ran perfectly. My brother bought it from me and he still uses it daily. He recently did a northern cape round trip of more than 2000 kilos and it returned an average of 12.5 kilos on a litre, and thats for an automatic. When I drove it I got a lot less than that but I drive like a maniac apparently

These older Mercs tend to suffer a bit of electrical gremlins but youtube and google is your friend - there is a lot of info on there about how to fix common electrical issues.

Now we need some pics please
    NEW Project: Daihatsu ROCKY (Balboa) 4x4 2.8

Platkar Haaihoendaai i20 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Neighbour down the street has one, its a '99 E320. It has now done around 400,000 kilos on original everything, but front suspension is a bit warn and clanking yet still it runs smooth and quiet.

You can use Shell 134 transmission fluid, but not sure about what sparkplugs on that V6.

I had a 1997 C230 with the 4 cylinder engine, and mercs are very finicky when it comes to the correct plugs - I used the bosch one that was recommended by the dealers, cant remember the numbers on it but it was the most expensive one, although I only needed 4 It didnt idle correctly and would sometimes stall when its in drive and the AC on, and after the new spark plugs it ran perfectly. My brother bought it from me and he still uses it daily. He recently did a northern cape round trip of more than 2000 kilos and it returned an average of 12.5 kilos on a litre, and thats for an automatic. When I drove it I got a lot less than that but I drive like a maniac apparently

These older Mercs tend to suffer a bit of electrical gremlins but youtube and google is your friend - there is a lot of info on there about how to fix common electrical issues.

Now we need some pics please
    I havent purchased the vehicle as yet. Hopefully, if all goes well, it will be in my possession by tomorrow afternoon. Thanx to all for the advice, and warnings. I like the E class shape, and agree with the above. Its built like a tank and drives really smooth. I took it for a drive in the week, and fell in love with it from the get go. Pics will be uploaded once it has had a bit of a clean as the vehicle has been standing under a tree that has this red berry things growing on it. So you can just imagine what it looks like.

Plugs Im sorted with, getting the Bosch fr8dpp33, which is OE spec for the 112 engine. The problem I have is with all the merc no's regarding gear oil. Been on a few mb forums, and on one end the guys are saying 263.10, and on the other end it is 263.14, and the list goes on and on. The oil marked 263.10 seems to be the most praised oil, but before I even buy that, Im going to do a bit more research. This is a quote taken from another forum

Actually you are both correct.

OE spec fluid is 236.10.

Current MB spec sheets say 236.14 (as they say it is backwards-compatible). (Among other things this means dealers don't have to stock older specs.)

There are several anecdotes about people using the newer fluid in the 5-speed and having poor results, though.

IMHO, therefore, the best practice is to ignore the current spec sheet and use OE 236.10 fluid.
    another forum with a slightly different view

To both of you. The 236.14 fluid is superior to the old fluid in ALL respects. I was involved in it's development for my company. Better anti oxidation due to far better synthetic base fluid, better viscosity maintenance, longer life in service, far longer maintenance of shift shock quality, lower wear rates. There is only one approved additive system so whether you buy Fuchs, Benz OE, Febi or Shell it makes no difference. Shell sells their fluid at the most reasonable price via Ryderfleetproducts in the US. The fluid is identified in all cases on the pack as approved against MB 236.14. Ignore any fluid that says "meets the requirements of"

Remember that the 722.9 is a development of the 722.6 with a Ravigneaux gearset to achieve the extra ratios.

There has never been a fluid issue in all the generational changes from 236.1 to 236.14. Early 722.9 transmissions had some TCU issues, speed sensor/conductor plate issues, fluid level issues hence the new spill tube height & pan redesign etc. None related to fluid. It has been a steady progression as Benz has strived for longer fluid life without transmission performance change.

The old & new fluids are designed to be miscible & fungible. However the new fluid uses better friction modifiers so to enjoy the full benefit a complete change is sensible.

There is a HUGE amount of crap spoken on the internet & forums about this issue from - changing your fluid could lead to transmission failure, leave the old fluid in it, to the old fluid is better than the new. What utter bollocks. Time & development moves on and the oil industry has better components available to it than when the earlier generation fluids were developed. What disgusts me is how often ignorant MB Techs that are nothing more than parts changers in many cases pass this misinformation around. Choose carefully who you listen to.

If you run low mileage as I tend to then change fluid every 5 years if you want to adopt a belt & bracers approach. I changed mine at 7 years on my last car & all was absolutely fine.

Please note that Benz changed the 722.6 recommendation in 2008. This is not new! The 722.6 transmission is still used in some diesel models although being phased out. It is filled with 236.14 fluid ex factory.

Approved fluids as of now.

Found a Cape Town dealer

http://ravenol.co.za/product/atf-dexron-iii/

https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-atf-m-9-serie.html

Will keep you guys posted
    Last edited by ballistic; 2019/08/23 at 10:52 PM.

Also worth chatting to Keyan at Old Merc Guy. Check out his FB. I follow him - itís amazing what he does with old Mercs.

https://www.facebook.com/172968432824250/

https://oldmercguy.co.za/
    2014 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 Auto 4x4
    2015 Jurgens XT140 Ext... maar ek soek 'n Bush Lapa
    Who needs a diff lock if you have 500Nm's

the dud E series was the E350 petrol could not give it away

I'd go with Ravenol but first price the oe oil at MB, sometimes on consumables they have good prices.

Merc car oil very cheap at dealers. Around R280/ 5l. Using 11l on my 2.2 diesel Sprinter on oil changes so was relieved buying from them. Gearbox oil might be cheaper as well?

Hey thanx guys. Will be sure to check with MB for the oil. I will also check out that Old Merc Guy

Anybody know any spare parts places open on a Sunday? Wanna get filters and plugs etc.

Anybody know any spare parts places open on a Sunday? Wanna get filters and plugs etc.
    Midas

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    Midas
    Just came back from them now, they only had the cheap NGK plugs in stock. Wasnt sure how good a plug it was, and said I would rather wait for the Bosch. NGK they had was the BKR5E-11

Just came back from them now, they only had the cheap NGK plugs in stock. Wasnt sure how good a plug it was, and said I would rather wait for the Bosch. NGK they had was the BKR5E-11
    Try Amazon.com you might be surprised as it may be cheaper than buying locally.
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Hi guys

Cheers

I had two of the W210 range, one sedan and one station wagon.
    These cars were built at a time when Mercedes Benz was playing exercises with water based paints.
    You could virtually look at it while rusting away.
    It starts at the top frame of the doors, then passing on to all parts below plastic skirtings, doors, wheel runs, rear bumper bracket.
    On the station wagon Mercedes at one stage renewed all outer body parts from rear doors to the back. After 8 years.

Worst was when leaving the garage one morning, there was a loud burst and the nose was flat to the ground.
    The takeup of one of the front axle springs corroded away. At a later stage MB even had a repair kit for this.

Apart from the corrosion nightmare, this is hell of a nice vehicle with phantastic running, roadholding and safety properties.
    The engines are top, it is the best automatic transmission MB ever had if you change oil every 30-50 k km.
    If you can get a totally rust-free car with low km, intend driving it 5 years and then get rid of it, buy it.

The majority of these cars, if used, have very high mileages. And there are many crooks in Southern Africa manipulating speedos.
    See that you get a full service report. If not available, be careful. I have seen cars in Namibia where the speedo was turned 500 K km
    down. Have km verified by MB.

Note that the 98 model had one specific problem the majority of MB dealers are not aware of:
    The acceleration sensor (gas sensor) can occasionally give problems when accelerating suddenly. The engine stalls and dies off.
    The diagnosis system does not show it. We found it by chance in a non-MB workshop. I had this problem at 300 k km.

For avoiding the rust problem, you should avoid the E-Classes between 1998 and 2006. As from 2007 /W211) they are OK. I am driving MB
    on long distances since 1973 with short gaps of time inbetween.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Hajo; 2019/08/26 at 09:40 AM.
    Hajo

Landcruiser Prado 3.0 TD Automatic

Also got a '99 ML320 with about 200.000 km on the clock. Great car, my wife loves to drive it because it is safe like a tank. Have it for 12 years now. Had to replace the suspension, brakes and some of the electronic parts. Only serious problem I had when the keys got lost - had to order from Germany and as the car was manufactured in the USA only got one key - no further replacement available any longer. Heavy on gasoline. Bottom line is - would buy it again. You will have a lot of fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    Hi
    You can try Disa Auto Services in the Helderberg area. Speak to Pieter Oosthuisen on 021 854 4893.
    Pieter specializes in MB ex MB trained.
    I wouldnt touch DISA with your bargepole!!!!!!

They load the price of spares WAY above MB prices and they charge labour at about the same as MB. His excuse "to keep the doors open"

as examples -

He charged me (on a R22000 bill) R100 to fit the radiator cap , when confronted with this he said the system automatically does this (so who programs the system?)
    He replaced the plugs without authorisation or consulting me (my car takes 16 of them) when told to put the old ones back the mechanic came back with 8 plugs supposedly from my car.
    I wouldnt trust him with your grannies false teeth!

I currently use Rian Niemand of RN Motors in strand (ex ROLA motors man) - good honest service at realistic prices

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast