Merc ML modifications





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    984
    Thanked: 88

    Default Merc ML modifications

    I found the best guys to do the modifications on my ML. Want to see the results? Check out the photos attached. Thank you Charles and co @ For Fours!! (0825740228)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6574.JPG 
Views:	2281 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	53992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ML 011.jpg 
Views:	6383 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	53993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ML 012.jpg 
Views:	7546 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	53994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ML 013.jpg 
Views:	2405 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	53995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ML 015.jpg 
Views:	5510 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	53996  
    Last edited by Chris B; 2010/03/06 at 09:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    51
    Posts
    27,153
    Thanked: 568

    Default

    This is the first time that I have seen a ML with after-market bumpers, so well done . Do you do any serious offroad stuff? If so, how does your independent suspension cope? Have you had any issues with it?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle US, Mosselbay SA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    395
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    That is a very nice job
    2011 M Benz GL450
    2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8 CrewMax
    2004 Range Rover V8 HSE

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Daar by die gat,in die NK
    Posts
    4,901
    Thanked: 57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    This is the first time that I have seen a ML with after-market bumpers, so well done . Do you do any serious offroad stuff? If so, how does your independent suspension cope? Have you had any issues with it?
    Wat van die een? het jy nooit vir "Jurassic Park" gekyk nie?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jurasic park ml.jpg 
Views:	986 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	54053

    Toemaar moet nie sleg voel nie, ek het ook nie die gemors gekyk nie, ek het op die foto afgekom op Wiki
    No one ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the BRIGHT side!!
    Ford Ranger 4l 4x4
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan King Cab (aka Navara )
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    Albert Einstein

    Whoooopa 3 The Goat strike back


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqw5...ature=youtu.be

    Another teazer.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51KljMSXOnI




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    984
    Thanked: 88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    This is the first time that I have seen a ML with after-market bumpers, so well done . Do you do any serious offroad stuff? If so, how does your independent suspension cope? Have you had any issues with it?
    The independent suspension does give you less wheel travel but the traction control system compensates by distributes by the torque to the wheels on the ground.

    The electronic traction control system needs movement/momentum to be efective. This is a disadvantage in rocky steep offroading where you want to go as slowly as possible to prevent damage to your vehicle. Difflocks would help in this situation as you get it in the newer ML{W164}

    Ground clearance is a major problem. To improve this heavy duty coil springs at the rear has been fitted as well as larger tyres.


    It works well in sand {With the ESP off} We did the tour of the Forbidden land in the Namib desert and the vehicle did well.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mareetsane
    Age
    38
    Posts
    591
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    It looks like "for Fours" are making name for themself. Did they design all items from scratch?
    2008 Jimny (SOLD)2011 3.2 Pajero SWB

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Parow
    Age
    41
    Posts
    126
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Looks great! I have done some san driving with my dads ML350 (W163) and was really impressed, but as you say ground clearance is a big problem. What size tyres did you fit?


    2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    51
    Posts
    27,153
    Thanked: 568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frans Reichert View Post
    Wat van die een? het jy nooit vir "Jurassic Park" gekyk nie?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jurasic park ml.jpg 
Views:	986 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	54053
    Toemaar moet nie sleg voel nie, ek het ook nie die gemors gekyk nie, ek het op die foto afgekom op Wiki
    Ek het die flik baie lank gelede gekyk, maar daai ML is nie baie mooi nie Frans

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    51
    Posts
    27,153
    Thanked: 568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    The independent suspension does give you less wheel travel but the traction control system compensates by distributes by the torque to the wheels on the ground.
    The electronic traction control system needs movement/momentum to be efective. This is a disadvantage in rocky steep offroading where you want to go as slowly as possible to prevent damage to your vehicle. Difflocks would help in this situation as you get it in the newer ML{W164}
    Ground clearance is a major problem. To improve this heavy duty coil springs at the rear has been fitted as well as larger tyres.
    It works well in sand {With the ESP off} We did the tour of the Forbidden land in the Namib desert and the vehicle did well.
    We know a German guy who occasionally comes to AD Dunes, with a ML 430, who we have nicknamed Messerschmitt Michael. This is due to the fact that he has no fear & spends most of the time with all 4 wheels off the ground On Friday he was completely airborne at the crest of the largest dune.

    That vehicle has massive power & sounds amazing He doesnt seem to bothered about all the tupperware that gradually falls off .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec 09 ADM 040.JPG 
Views:	795 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	54102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec 09 ADM 060.JPG 
Views:	940 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	54103  

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    984
    Thanked: 88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oubaas1 View Post
    It looks like "for Fours" are making name for themself. Did they design all items from scratch?
    I gave my input, then Charles and his team design front bumper, rear bumper and bashplates from scratch. Addisional feul tank(60lt)(Gerbers4wd) and winch was also done.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    56
    Posts
    194
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Thank you Chris and family for your support. I was only a pleasure doing something like this for you.

    It has not been an easy year as we all know and we trust that this type of work together with the on going support from guys like you will help us to become even better in what we do.

    Thanks again

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    984
    Thanked: 88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormboy_sa View Post
    Looks great! I have done some san driving with my dads ML350 (W163) and was really impressed, but as you say ground clearance is a big problem. What size tyres did you fit?
    I fitted 245/70R17 BFG KM2, this give 20mm more clearance. My brother fitted on his ML 265/70R16 without any problems. 265/65R17 will also work well as all these sizes have the same diameter and the benefit of sharing tyre size with Fortuner and Pajero.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,823
    Thanked: 74

    Default

    Dit is 'n kwaai ML daai Chris!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    cape town
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Really nice mod, you mind me asking what the mods set you back?

    What mods did you do to your suspension?

    I have been searching for a bumper for my ML for a pretty long time. I would however of just colour coded it to match the body colour, looks much nicer imho

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    984
    Thanked: 88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverman View Post
    Really nice mod, you mind me asking what the mods set you back?

    What mods did you do to your suspension?

    I have been searching for a bumper for my ML for a pretty long time. I would however of just colour coded it to match the body colour, looks much nicer imho
    Front bumper R 7500
    Rear bumper R 8500
    Bash plates R 2350
    Feul tank R 3900
    Heavy duty rear springs/shocks R 14000

    Colour coding can be done- speak to Charles at For Fours.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    46
    Posts
    95
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Chris B

    Its the 1st time I see a kitted ML.
    Cool .
    (M25)
    LandCruiser 200 V8td,ARB winchbar,Warn 12000lb winch,IPF spots,180W LED bar,180L Longranger aux tank,ARB rear bumper+dual wheel carriers(had-Kaymar carriers),OME suspension,TJM snorkel,raised axle breathers,roofrack,2 way comms,285/70/17 MT tyres,additional fuel filter system, upgraded brakes.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    puebla
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    im loving your ml i have one to its impresive how captable is could you post more pictures or sendme some i live in mexico and i want to make a bumper like that sorry abaut my english

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    34
    Posts
    460
    Thanked: 15

    Default

    Hulle loop lekker in die sand, ons het Henties se strande plat gery met 320 vir 2 weke.

    Attached Images Attached Images  

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    984
    Thanked: 88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaba17 View Post
    im loving your ml i have one to its impresive how captable is could you post more pictures or sendme some i live in mexico and i want to make a bumper like that sorry abaut my english
    Hi, jaba17

    On this forum look under- Commercial Member Adverts ~ 4x4 accessories by For Fours aka Charlie Brown ~ page 3 #43.

    Charlie Brown(Charles) made these mods and might help you.

    Please post pictures of your mods.

    Regards
    Ps 16:5

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    984
    Thanked: 88

    Default

    [QUOTE=dumbluck;478781]Hulle loop lekker in die sand, ons het Henties se strande plat gery met 320 vir 2 weke.[QUOTE]

    My broer het netso ML320 met 16" 8J rims. AT bande 265/70R16 op gesit, gee 20mm lift en werk uitstekkend op ander terreinne ook.
    Ps 16:5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How likely is your vehicle to be stolen?
    By mvcoller in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 2010/12/18, 03:10 PM
  2. Worthy Modifications
    By frontier320 in forum Isuzu
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2009/08/18, 03:23 PM
  3. Jeep Rubicon modifications – where to start?
    By pieter_fourie in forum Jeep
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2008/08/16, 10:16 AM
  4. Pajero Electric Window Modifications
    By benhur in forum Mitsubishi
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2007/04/30, 09:30 PM
  5. Giant Merc 4x4 now in SA
    By dcsmax in forum Vehicle & Technical Chat - General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2006/11/16, 05:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •