First real camping trip. Advice needed. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: First real camping trip. Advice needed.

As mentioned before, having sufficient space is going to be difficult, especially with the roll-up mattresses for 4 people. You'll probably want a cooler box, and camping chairs x 4. Travel bags for clothing etc for 4 people. Storage boxes for your food and stuff like charcoal unless you intend to always eat at the facilities or in town.

The only potential difficulty with the tent (or without a tent at all) that I can foresee is that the wind may be significant (desert and coast), you will possibly get fog at the coast as well. Not show stoppers for the tent, just irritating with all the flapping and buffeting. A canvas dome tent with steel frame would be nicer, but double the price and double the folded size. It will be better in the wind and warmer on the coast if the cold Atlantic wind is blowing.

I personally prefer the mattress to a stretcher. Blow up mattress, I've had many, not a single one hasn't started leaking after a few days.

The campsite we had at Sesriem had no braai facility but there is a restaurant and bar onsite.

Sounds doable at a squeeze, but I reckon a roof rack or trailer would make your life easier. Note that dirt roads in Namibia can be heavily corrugated so trailer may bounce around and get dusty inside.

Nice camp in Windhoek city is Urban Camp. It has restaurant, bar, pool, wifi, etc. and good security and is also close to Joe's Beerhouse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJZu-IdGcs4

10 days is pretty short for a 4000+ km trip including sight-seeing and border crossings, but I'm sure you've considered that. Personally I would not spend so much time at Ai-Ais and rather put that extra time in at Seriem.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!!
    Last edited by Absie; 2019/08/24 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    The Aussies call it a swag.
    Conceptually maybe but not strictly true. This is what a Swag generally refers to, however......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

If you do go for a stretcher, make sure you have an insulation pad as the air circulating underneath will sap the heat from you. I mainly hammock with a tarp when camping, trees or other structure permitting and without an insulating layer between your sleeping bag and the hammock, you will wake up in the middle of summer, cold.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

I will speak to my friends about a trailer or the roof rack perhaps. The "OZtrail Ultimate All Weather Queen Stretcher" looks awesome for future use perhaps.

Sadly we have already booked all the places we're going to stay, but thanks for the recommendations. The 10 days 4000km is rather short, but due to leave limitations that's what we had to work with.

With that schedule and those destinations, you can get away with minimalist packing. Ditch the cold box, it takes up too much space. The First Ascent Dream Deluxe mattresses are compact and don't take up too much space. Pack a chair each, a light, basic kitchen kit, lightweight quick drying clothing, and shop as you go for fresh stuff and meat, if you eat meat. Eat in restaurants when you can, you're on holiday after all. Don't bother about a trailer.
    And make sure nobody packs a suitcase - they are horrible to pack, use soft duffel bags that can squash into spaces. One per person, no more. The nylon tent will be fine, and takes up less space that a canvas one. Take extra guy ropes in case of big winds on the coast and decent tent pegs (long and sturdy), and a roll of duct tape to repair any poles that crack. Don't forget a compressor and a tyre gauge, you'll need it if you want to drive the last bit into the dunes at Sossus.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    With that schedule and those destinations, you can get away with minimalist packing. Ditch the cold box, it takes up too much space. The First Ascent Dream Deluxe mattresses are compact and don't take up too much space. Pack a chair each, a light, basic kitchen kit, lightweight quick drying clothing, and shop as you go for fresh stuff and meat, if you eat meat. Eat in restaurants when you can, you're on holiday after all. Don't bother about a trailer.
    And make sure nobody packs a suitcase - they are horrible to pack, use soft duffel bags that can squash into spaces. One per person, no more. The nylon tent will be fine, and takes up less space that a canvas one. Take extra guy ropes in case of big winds on the coast and decent tent pegs (long and sturdy), and a roll of duct tape to repair any poles that crack. Don't forget a compressor and a tyre gauge, you'll need it if you want to drive the last bit into the dunes at Sossus.
    Thanks, this is a good reply. I feel we will go with minimalist packing and eat out/braai etc as much as possible to try and stay away from the cooler box.

Karmaquip the best longer term "investment" But hurry, there may be a long waiting period! Tentco self inflatables not bad either.
    Obaro/local co-op stocks Romer coolerboxes at a good price.

Try find a roof rack (also good "investment" for the longer term) . All the light, bulky stuff on top. (Check the bolts often on the corrugated roads)

Those distances are far too long to travel cramped!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingervitus View Post
    Thanks, this is a good reply. I feel we will go with minimalist packing and eat out/braai etc as much as possible to try and stay away from the cooler box.
    I would take a smaller cool box but not totally ditch it, it may be sweltering hot and there's nothing like cool drinks in the evening or milk for coffee in the morning's, probably also be a few food stuffs that people would like to bring that need to be chilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    I would take a smaller cool box but not totally ditch it, it may be sweltering hot and there's nothing like cool drinks in the evening or milk for coffee in the morning's, probably also be a few food stuffs that people would like to bring that need to be chilled.
    I agree with you - you get very good compact coolboxes that do the job and can fit in middle of the footwell in the back-seat feet area. I have one, will post pic - pricey for what it is (R700-R800) but a long term investment. You then just buy ice as you go along and fill up.

If you don't want to incur the expense of First Ascent mattress just take a good inflatable mattress - you check underneath every night that there are no sharp objects etc. (I have the carmaquip but it packs too big for your available space).

As Tony Weaver said - don't over plan, pack light & enjoy. One learns as you go along.
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

What I spoke about - I see its sells for R790 on the site. Obviously you also get other makes that are good.

https://www.evakool.co.za/collection...ter-cooler-box
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    What I spoke about - I see its sells for R790 on the site. Obviously you also get other makes that are good.

https://www.evakool.co.za/collection...ter-cooler-box
    Thanks for this, will take a look

Got two First Ascent Dream Deluxe mattresses yesterday. I have to say they are rather comfortable.
    Last edited by Gingervitus; 2019/09/01 at 04:35 PM.

Regarding the trailer... what Peter1949 said earlier.

If you buy a second hand one for say 8k.... and even sell it for 6k when you get back... that is R500 per person for the trip and much less hassle.

Anyway, that is what I would do.

Goodluck and enjoy.

Grumbles
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!

Hi everyone.

Its almost time for our trip so I wanted to give an update.

We went out and got the following:
    * First Ascent Dream Deluxe mattress. These are so comfy. We wanted to go with CarmaQuip but there is an Outdoor Warehouse near us and we could try out the Dream Deluxe there.
    * Some of those K-way luggage bags for easy packing.
    * Lots of mozzie sprays and soaps.
    * Hats.
    * Good quality sleeping bags.
    * Small camping chairs.
    * Flasks.
    * Coleman Steel Belted Cooler (It this good?)
    * Some old tekkies for walking/quick hikes.
    * A small fridge.

For clothes we are going to wear mostly shorts and t-shirts, but it seems to get cold at night? so we will pack a warm jacket and maybe some long pants each.

We have planned out food for every day. Mostly braai and easy to make meals. We will eat out where we can. We will buy food from Karasburg, get some braai pakkies at Mount D'Urban and then some more food at Sesriem.

Is there anything obvious we are missing? How cold does it get at night?

Thanks for all the tips. You guys have made the planning so much easier.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gingervitus For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2