So much Dust in my RSI Canopy :(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default So much Dust in my RSI Canopy :(

HI All

I've got the RSI Canopy for my Bakkie, and the extra sealing between the bakkie-flap to close that little bit off when opening.

However, when doing dirt, which I do a lot of, everything is full of dust...

Are there are other things one can do do minimise the dust?

CHeers
    Pantoffel

Default Re: So much Dust in my RSI Canopy :(

Positive pressure ventilation flap on the roof may help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadi View Post
    Positive pressure ventilation flap on the roof may help a lot.
    That flap will be effective form 80km/h upwards.

So install en electrical fan unit (which pressurizes the load bay) and switch it on from the dashboard when entering dirt roads.
    A small 15-25W unit will do the job.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    That flap will be effective form 80km/h upwards.

So install en electrical fan unit (which pressurizes the load bay) and switch it on from the dashboard when entering dirt roads.
    A small 15-25W unit will do the job.
    Where will the best place be to buy a fan like this? I assume it must be able to take some water/rain.
    Moenie leef met die droom "ek gaan dit doen as ek eendag aftree" want dit mag dalk nie gebeur.
    2019 SYM Citycom S300i
    2019 BMW 1250 GS
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 4x4 Raider.
    2017 Mazda CX-3 Individual Plus
    2006 Mercedes Benz SLK 350

I have the RSI Smartcanopy on my Hilux as well and had the same issue. This is what I did:

1. Installed a dust seal kit from Automotive Rubbers in BFN. This included rubbers all around where the tailgate closes and not only at the bottom, I them filled all the smaller gaps between the canopy and bakkie with sponge.

2. When travelling on gravel I keep the canopy's sliding window open

3. Also, make sure that the canopy door seal is in place when it closes. Mine came loose and it was dust everywhere.

Cheers

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeeperCreepers For This Useful Post:

Don't despair. There are about 7 rather large (finger size) holes in the load bin (that I could count at first glance) One on each side, almost in the middle (length-wise) and just below the lip. One in each of the front corners, also almost underneath the lip. And then on the front panel of the load bin at the bottom - one in the center and one each just to the insides of the canopy brackets. Stuff them with high density foam. It may be difficult to see them if you have rubberized the bin.There may be a few more smaller ones not mentioned, but you will be able to detect them after a few km's on a dirt road.

Then, get yourself the dust kit for the lid from Seikel in PTA. I you want I can take some photos for you. I|t is sort of a home made job and if you have a pop riveter you can easily do it yourself.

I have found very little dust entering between the edge of the bin and that of the canopy.

Then the positive pressure, which is essential. If you do not have the on from 4x4 Direct (the large rectangular one) installed, do that. On the left hand side, so that is facing away from traffic coming from the front.

Good luck - you will have 90% success.
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/08/22 at 06:39 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

I have installed those chromed boat vents ie you drill a hole into the canopy and the chrome vent covers the hole ie air flows into the vent but not rain. I don't get dust being sucked into my Fibre glass canopy. Simple and effective. Just make sure the tail gate is dust proofed.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Positive pressure and a seal around the tailgate is the answer.
    You can get good positive pressure by opening the sliding window at the front of the canopy if you have one.
    All canopies should be made with an air vent on the top or sides to give this pressure.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RonS For This Useful Post:

Just to clarify, isn't Positive Pressure already created by the Air Vent on one gets when installing the RSI canopy? (I've got a thing installed on the right hand side, maybe left hand side would have been smarter )

• I might have not mentioned it 100% clearly, but my dust seal kit is for the tailgate at the bottom and sides of the tailgate
    • When I open the canopy door, loads of dust also falls in...

Hence, as I understand, one should in addition to the Air Vent:
    I) Either open the window (Which i'll try) or install a fan; AND
    II) see if one can add sponge on the canopy to fill any other gaps.

Now I am a bit confused.
    Do the dust enter your canopy whilst you are driving and you then have dust all over?, or
    Is it only the accumulated dust on the outside of the canopy (back?) door that falls into the canopy when you open it?

Was not aware that you do have a vent. What does it look like/photo?

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Now I am a bit confused.
    Do the dust enter your canopy whilst you are driving and you then have dust all over?, or
    Is it only the accumulated dust on the outside of the canopy (back?) door that falls into the canopy when you open it?

Was not aware that you do have a vent. What does it look like/photo?
    It does both, it enters whilst driving (priority one to get resolved) and accumulates on the back and then falls down when opening it (secondary).
    The vent looks like this:

Name:  RSI IMAge.png
Views: 1006
Size:  444.9 KB

OK, that vent is what you need and what most of us talk about.

IRO the internal dust: Since you drive with that vent open, you will get some dust (ok I cannot really quantify this - how long is a piece of string?)into the canopy - from normal airborne dust, and more when you encounter traffic that kicks up dust. All of us have to live with that since it is unavoidable. But a LOT less than if you do not put some measures into place. BUT, when packing you vehicle, make sure not to block that vent, otherwise you may as well not have one.
    Have you checked and blocked the holes I referred to in my post above. No moving forward without doing that. Then your next step would be to drive a stretch of dirt road and afterwards inspect the insides to see where else the dust is entering - and do the required steps to rectify that. I doubt it if significant dust enters at the canopy seal, unless it was not properly seated and then you should return you the supplier. You can actually try to check that in the dark, with a strong flash light and somebody assisting you on the other side. It is my opinion that an electrical fan is not really required.

IRO the dust from the door: That is a bit new and strange to me. That door has a lip at the bottom that will prevent any accumulated dust to slide off the door and into the load bin and onto you head. It does accumulate a LOT of dust, due to the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Most people carry a brush or small broom to just swipe off the bulk of the dust before opening (also from the bin lid and the bumper, otherwise you will have a lot of dust on yourself.) Can you perhaps indicate from where on hat door the dust falls into the bin?

Please give us feedback - we are all learning

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

+1 on sealing all the gaps in the load bin.

Please remember that the lip at the bottom of the rear door will not prevent dust from falling into the canopy when you open it. To prevent that, you would also need a lip at the top of the rear door. When you open the rear door, there is a gap between the canopy door opening and the top of the door, and the top of the door becomes the lowest part when fully opened. Dust on the door then slides off into the canopy .....

Johan 😎
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Snyman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Where will the best place be to buy a fan like this? I assume it must be able to take some water/rain.
    It depends what you wan t to fork out but ebay has some offerings.
    It will also ask for some handyman skills to install it .

A normal 12V extractor fan has a round pipe extension which would have to go through the canopy wall, then a cover outside that is rain proof
    Window type extractor fans are flat models that would align (inside and outside) with a flat panel.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    OK, that vent is what you need and what most of us talk about.

IRO the internal dust: Since you drive with that vent open, you will get some dust (ok I cannot really quantify this - how long is a piece of string?)into the canopy - from normal airborne dust, and more when you encounter traffic that kicks up dust. All of us have to live with that since it is unavoidable. But a LOT less than if you do not put some measures into place. BUT, when packing you vehicle, make sure not to block that vent, otherwise you may as well not have one.
    Have you checked and blocked the holes I referred to in my post above. No moving forward without doing that. Then your next step would be to drive a stretch of dirt road and afterwards inspect the insides to see where else the dust is entering - and do the required steps to rectify that. I doubt it if significant dust enters at the canopy seal, unless it was not properly seated and then you should return you the supplier. You can actually try to check that in the dark, with a strong flash light and somebody assisting you on the other side. It is my opinion that an electrical fan is not really required.

IRO the dust from the door: That is a bit new and strange to me. That door has a lip at the bottom that will prevent any accumulated dust to slide off the door and into the load bin and onto you head. It does accumulate a LOT of dust, due to the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Most people carry a brush or small broom to just swipe off the bulk of the dust before opening (also from the bin lid and the bumper, otherwise you will have a lot of dust on yourself.) Can you perhaps indicate from where on hat door the dust falls into the bin?

Please give us feedback - we are all learning
    I'll check for the other wholes and monitor where the dust comes in and report back! Will keep you guys updated.

In the old days with the Land Rovers with the rear doors opening to one side, dust was a huge problem. Solving this problem was a bent plate over the back edge of the vehicle. It was fastened with a bit of offset on the roof and the bend down over the edge of the roof towards that rear door. I do remember that it certainly enabled you to look to the back through the rear window at all times.
    Last edited by VectorP; 2019/08/23 at 02:45 PM.

I have the same RSI canopy, their dust kit and have plugged the holes in lip of load bin. I open the sliding window against cab and never had a dust problem, including many trips to Kgalagadi and the famous Ashkam Van Zylsrust road.
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4X4
    RSI canopy & Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tobie4x4 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: So much Dust in my RSI Canopy

Do have a Chev Utility with Beekman canopy. More dust in the boot than on the road. Did use the sponge tube that is used on water pipes between the body and back lid of bakkie. Did install a air vent on top of canopy. Problem 90% solved.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Pantoffel View Post
    It does both, it enters whilst driving (priority one to get resolved) and accumulates on the back and then falls down when opening it (secondary).
    The vent looks like this:

Name:  RSI IMAge.png
Views: 1006
Size:  444.9 KB
    Not to be funny but you must open it when driving. It flips out and catches the air and channels it into the canopy and that builds the pressure inside the canopy that then prevents dust being sucked in at other small holes. Close it when you stop as a small hand fits or place a steel grid on the inside to prevent someone taking something from the canopy. Also close when driving in the rain. Do not drive in the dust of the vehicle in front.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erwin Schimper For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast