Distance (hrs) Muchenje Kwhai

Default Distance (hrs) Muchenje Kwhai

Hi community!

First of all, thanks so much (again) for so much useful information. This forum is a gem!

I am traveling to the Khwai area in mid September and I hear it is very dry. So I assume little to no water crossing and deep sand on my route:

Maun -> Khwai (I remember taking around 2-4 hours last year in August?)
    Khwai -> Third Bridge (possible as a day trip returning to Khwai?)
    Khwai -> Muchenje (recommendations on route and times?)

We did decide against a stopover in Savuti due to the high priced campsite and bad reports with regards to noise and trash at the campsite in Savuti. Anyone think Khwai Muchenje is too far for a day or that the game in Savuti is totally worth the bad and expensive camp?

Thanks and Cheers
    Chris

PS: will report on the new Khwai Safari Grounds campsite and Mbudi (was great last year)

Default Re: Distance (hrs) Muchenje Kwhai

Hi Chris,

We went Muchenje to Thobolo and stayed over.

We then did Thobolo to Dizhana (Mababe) which isnít to far from Kwhai in June and it took as 10.5 hours via the marsh road, as road is terrible with very high middle man, and some bad dongas. We were all towing though. Average speed was probably around 15kmh. Area is extremely dry and whole of Botswana has been declared a disaster drought area, because of lower rain fall to end of last year and early this year.

Had some guys coming passed when possible at higher speed but not sure what damages they picked up or probably just donít care about vehicles. We did catch them at all the gates though
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

2018 Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 MT 4x4 / Jurgens Xplorer
    -------------------------------------------------
    2013 Fortuner 3.0 D4d 4x4 (M) / Jurgens Xplorer
    2010 Fortuner 3.0 D4d 4x4 (M) / Jurgens Xplorer

Quote Originally Posted by DeonvG View Post
    We went Muchenje to Thobolo and stayed over.
    How long from Muchenje to Thobolo?

Quote Originally Posted by DeonvG View Post
    We then did Thobolo to Dizhana (Mababe) which isnít to far from Kwhai in June and it took as 10.5 hours via the marsh road, as road is terrible with very high middle man, and some bad dongas. We were all towing though. Average speed was probably around 15kmh. Area is extremely dry and whole of Botswana has been declared a disaster drought area, because of lower rain fall to end of last year and early this year.
    Middleman driving possible with a Fortuner (no raised suspension or bushplates)?

Thanks so much, that indication is a good start. 10.5hrs is longer than I expected.

Chris,

You throw away the pearl of the Chobe = Savuti.
    Do that stop-over in Savuti, even add a night to explore and avoid the stress of the through travel with no tim to take photos.

Even if Savuti has a bit of a reputation, its location is unique and the wildlife around (+- 1.5 hours game drive) is just extraordinary.

Try to get a campsite away from the channel in the forested part and you should be fine.
    If there is trash around the campsite refer to the operator's staff at the Savuti Gate entrance, they have ample staff to clean the sites and usually do it between 08-10:00 AM

Edit: The travel time between Khwai and Muchenje will account to 7-8 hours, (no breaks)
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2019/08/21 at 06:25 PM.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Hi Chris

I would drive and not stop at Savuti but do the whole drive from Kwhai to Muchenje. Spend that extra night at Muchenje and avoid an extra day park fees and Savuti camping.

My experience last week was not the best with Savuti and its camp site which I've talked about in other posts. Early afternoon we decided to go for a Savuti game drive which went well ending off at a pan to enjoy the elephants coming down to drink (sunset ect). While at the pan one commercial operator parked up right next to us with their noisy 8 guests then the radio went off and before you know it there was 4 commercial operators around us with 32 people making noise which totally spoiled the experience for me and it was time to move on. (yes this could happen anywhere but it happened there)

Savuti to me used to be an awesome place like paradise in the bush but I feel its lost its bush feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris goes ZA View Post
    If I remember correctly it is roughly 34km, and it took us 1h25, only because 4 GP plates came flying by on the tar, but then got stuck on the first section of the sand where it wasn’t even deep. They didn’t stop at beginning of sand to deflate tyres . We lost roughly 25min waiting for them to deflate as there wasn’t anyway around them. Thobolo is a significant place and I’ll go back there any-day. We had unbelievable sightings at the water hole with a herd of probably 30-40 Elephants just after sun set coming for a drink. We stood about 10 meters away from them.

Middleman driving possible with a Fortuner (no raised suspension or bushplates)?
    Even a LC 79 with raised suspension would have had issues in certain sections, there was a couple of places that you could see someone was properly stuck (deep) during the wet season. We had no choice but to "climb out" of track and drive on the top edges. Fortuner with Xplorer in tow went through like a dream even if it was slow going, as I’d rather go slow than damage my rig and further damage the track.

Thanks so much, that indication is a good start. 10.5hrs is longer than I expected.
    Last edited by DeonvG; 2019/08/22 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Fixed quotations to view better, originally replied via iPad
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Hi Chris,

On the 10th of June 2019 me and my wife traveled from Muchenje Campsite and Cottages at 08h00 am and arrived at Magotho Community Campsite in the afternoon at 16h45 pm.

On our way we stopped just outside Savuti to have some lunch and looked around in the general area going south towards the Marsh Road for some animal sightings, thus not driving the shortest route towards Magotho.

Note - I would not recommend the Marsh Road with it being so dry this year. It was a huge disappointment, bumpy road and lots of dust - more than what I was anticipating! I was warned against driving the Marsh Road but thought it would be OK as I have done the Sand Ridge road a few times and wanted to explore a new route. I found it not worth the effort at the time given how dry and dusty the road was.

We stopped twice to assist vehicles with off-road trailers stuck in the sand just before the Mababe Gate and in that process we lost about 45 min!

It is very possible to make it in one days drive if you do not experience any issues!!!

Thanks all so far.

My take-aways are 1) it is possible in one day from Muchenje to Khwai an 2) I should take the Sandridge Road.
    Also, Thobolo is recommended and Savuti up for discussion

Any insights whether the Khwai River has any water at the time?
    How about Chobe River?

Thanks and let me know if one of you makes their way into the area in mid September.

Did that route in April Chris. From Mababe gate follow the marsh road for about 20km then over to the Sand Ridge road as the march road from there very bad. Drive the normal road from Savuti until you get the airstrip turnoff and follow that route as the normal road is very bumpy and very sandy. We did all the routes with a loaded Fortuner with standard suspension, no problems. Just do not try to set a speed record. We have stayed over at Savuti but estimate it will take you about 9 to 10 hours from Magotho to Muchenje. Have fun and enjoy
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

Thanks all so far.

My take-aways are 1) it is possible in one day from Muchenje to Khwai an 2) I should take the Sandridge Road.
    Also, Thobolo is recommended and Savuti up for discussion

Any insights whether the Khwai River has any water at the time?
    How about Chobe River?

Thanks and let me know if one of you makes their way into the area in mid September.
    Even though we did not come from Third Bridge, I expect that the amount of water in the Khwai river will no doubt give you hassles at the famous crossing between Third Bridge and Magotho. The Chobe river is lower but still very beautifull and needs to be explored via a boat cruise. Enjoy
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

Agree with Andre, water levels in Chobe river are not that great, but the boat cruise we did was still very special and can definitely recommend it. Had some amazing sightings during our cruise (added 2 photos). If you can try and do a trip to Vic Falls as well (pending your itinerary). The falls was quite spectacular- also added a photo .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8363.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	401.9 KB 
ID:	538168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8419.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	552.8 KB 
ID:	538169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8437.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	360.9 KB 
ID:	538170  

Interesting, sounds like the travel time is longer than what I was expecting. Anyone care to comment on the green route I've highlighted vs the magenta route. Seems like most are taking the magenta route, but I was eyeing the green route for our visit later this year. Looking to go Ihaha to Khwai, but sounds like the green route would take too long.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by AndreTunie View Post
    Did that route in April Chris. From Mababe gate follow the marsh road for about 20km then over to the Sand Ridge road as the march road from there very bad. Drive the normal road from Savuti until you get the airstrip turnoff and follow that route as the normal road is very bumpy and very sandy. We did all the routes with a loaded Fortuner with standard suspension, no problems. Just do not try to set a speed record. We have stayed over at Savuti but estimate it will take you about 9 to 10 hours from Magotho to Muchenje. Have fun and enjoy
    That is super helpful, thank you, Andre!

Do you mean the river crossing in Khwai, near North Gate?

Hi Chris - many thanks for posting this and to all the others who contributed. My wife and I plan to be in the area mid September and have booked the following nights: Kaziikini: Sept 17- 19 / Khwai Safari: Sept 20-22 / Muchenje: Sept 23-25. So we will doing the same road but from the Khwai side. T4A indicates a distance of around 200kms Khwai to Muchenje and 5 hours but this forum indicates it could be double that time even on the Sandridge road. If you (or anyone else on the Forum) are in the same place(s) please look out of us - a white CA registered Freelander 2 with external wheel carrier and RTT

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFors View Post
    Hi Chris - many thanks for posting this and to all the others who contributed. My wife and I plan to be in the area mid September and have booked the following nights: Kaziikini: Sept 17- 19 / Khwai Safari: Sept 20-22 / Muchenje: Sept 23-25. So we will doing the same road but from the Khwai side. T4A indicates a distance of around 200kms Khwai to Muchenje and 5 hours but this forum indicates it could be double that time even on the Sandridge road. If you (or anyone else on the Forum) are in the same place(s) please look out of us - a white CA registered Freelander 2 with external wheel carrier and RTT
    Will keep a look-out for ya! I'm in a white CA Fortuner. see you in the bush.

Cool Re: Distance (hrs) Muchenje Kwhai

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFors View Post
    Hi Chris,

To give you an idea, we did 3 weeks ago:

1/ Khwai Campsite to Mababe Gate : 40 km in 1 hour (good road all the way and sandy at the end)

2/ Mababe Gate to Savuti (via the dry Marsh road): 65 km - 3 hours and a half (with annoying dry mud & bumps at the beginning and few sandy parts till Savuti)

3/ Savuti to Goha Gate : 1h20 (very sandy!)

4/ we went to Linyanti and were a bit disappointed (but that's another topic). But I would say 2 to 3h between Goha and Muchenje (very sandy to sandy till Kachikau)

At the end, it will be a tough day but doable!

Wishing you a safe trip!