small scale nuclear - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: small scale nuclear

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Furthermore, what can go wrong with this system? Or what are the dangers when things go wrong? I know we always equate nuclear power with radiation, but is it also the case here?
    NONE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integr...afety_Approach
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I couldn't really see any info. What size is the box,how much and how many houses can it feed.Can I become a sales agent or franchisee or repair technician for the product.
    So none are in production yet? Is it at conception level or are there units running already.?Sounds wonderful but also wishy washy in amount of info.

Coal fired drives a very big value chain behind it and I believe that is why we are not seeing alternatives readily implimented or funded for research. If we were to impliment nuclear to replace our coal fired stations. What would we do with all the businesses feeding into the coal fired station mining pot of black gold.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to carlp For This Useful Post:

Lxv

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    That area now has the second highest level of Sulphur Dioxide IN THE WORLD...........

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...study-20190819
    How depressing.

Doesn't 'mpumalanga' mean something along the lines of 'the sun comes from here'

How about 'the pollution comes from here' ?

'cause I can't see no sun, anymore.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Coal fired drives a very big value chain behind it and I believe that is why we are not seeing alternatives readily implimented or funded for research. If we were to impliment nuclear to replace our coal fired stations. What would we do with all the businesses feeding into the coal fired station mining pot of black gold.
    Speaking of pot. Why do you think it's still illegal in most countries?

Bob was the biggest smoker of them all, and yet it's not what killed him in the end. It was something completely unrelated.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    They'd need to help produce modular nuclear power stations?

The only value chain in coal is the trucks that stuff up our roads. Very little of our new local coal stations gets produced here.
    Percivamus

That area now has the second highest level of Sulphur Dioxide IN THE WORLD...........

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...study-20190819
    So what - I live at the coast and get a daily dose of fresh sea breeze.

And there in lies the hypocrisy of energy issues.

People going to an anti-fracking meeting in the Free State are quite happy to fly to the nearest big airport and hop in a SUV or DC to the meeting. The fuel they used to get there probably obliterated half a hectare of tropical rainforest and raped a third world nation of its natural resources from pollution. I will sit up and listen when they walk there or ride an eco-friendly bicycle made from Bamboo and recycled gwana.

It's the old adage, do want you want but dont do it on my doorstep.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

They'd need to help produce modular nuclear power stations?

The only value chain in coal is the trucks that stuff up our roads. Very little of our new local coal stations gets produced here.
    Well actually there are the workers, in the power stations and in the mines and in the industries supplying goods and services to the industries and the people. And then there are the people services like housing and food and water etc. Its a whole system of its own.

Shut down those power stations and you probably shut down a few million jobs in the whole chain.

-----------------------

We have people on this very forum who had lucrative businesses that went to the wall because of MARIKANA. And that was just a pimple on the mining landscape.

EDIT come to think of it - you of all people, because of you proximity to the platinum mines and dependent towns.villages will know this.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/08/22 at 02:52 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Well actually there are the workers, in the power stations and in the mines and in the industries supplying goods and services to the industries and the people. And then there are the people services like housing and food and water etc. Its a whole system of its own.

Shut down those power stations and you probably shut down a few million jobs in the whole chain.

-----------------------

We have people on this very forum who had lucrative businesses that went to the wall because of MARIKANA. And that was just a pimple on the mining landscape.

EDIT come to think of it - you of all people, because of you proximity to the platinum mines and dependent towns.villages will know this.
    so we just carry on doing stupid things with no exit strategy or plan? ja well sounds about par for the course for Africa.....
    Percivamus

I cannot find anything about the economics of the thing. What does it cost (capital) per MW? C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

so we just carry on doing stupid things with no exit strategy or plan? ja well sounds about par for the course for Africa.....
    Pretty much.

Some of us are making own plans, but in the long run we are still paying for the idiocy and lethargy of others.

I suppose you gotta start somewhere.

The problem is these are Macro-Economics issues that require, as I said in an early post, national government strategic planning and funding - YEH RIGHT, that's gonna happen soon.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    ... national government strategic planning ...
    Oxymoron of note!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Oxymoron of note!
    They are actually excellent at this. There are only three objectives to achieve: 1 How can we screw more money from rich people? 2 How can we siphon as much of that as possible into out own pockets and 3 Where can we hide it so no one will find it? C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

I think these would be ideal for places like Zim that are desperate for power, wont have the massive job losses from loosing coal mining, and need to get power to remote communities.

I saw somewhere on the site the cost is similar to renewable or base load power, I assume that includes the capex costs. My only worry with a system like this is what happens to the waste in 20 years time?
    2008 UN type Patrol 3.0 diesel,

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    My only worry with a system like this is what happens to the waste in 20 years time?
    there is no waste from molten salt, it USES nuclear waste in some cases so can be used as a safe consumer of traditional uranium waste
    Percivamus

So do these things have no radioactive waste that needs to be stored for decades?

I was worried that a terrorist would get hold of it and dump the radioactive bits into a river or something, I know they cant make a bomb out of it, but whats the worst case? that the Govt gets paid to dispose of it properly, but buys a new house and dumps the waste in a landfill?

Even with the potential above I'd rather get power from one of these than breathe the smog from a coal power station
    2008 UN type Patrol 3.0 diesel,

I see there is contact info for PTA.
    this is very interesting
    I might follow up in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    know they cant make a bomb out of it, but whats the worst case?
    They can't make a bomb out of it, but they can make a bomb WITH it. It's called a dirty bomb where the explosives are used to fragment/pulverise the radioactive medium and disperse it.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

The thing that scares me most about nuclear power of any size/scale in SA is the people who will be in charge of it.

The waste is an issue, but it is a logistical issue that is factored in at conception, just like maintenance is, but they all fall into obscurity when held up against the potential for catastrophe when people whose governing interest is self enrichment above all else will be the ones who will be in control of the equipment.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast