Default Triton EGT Readings

I have a 2012 Triton 3.2 which I fitted with a Race Chip about 4 years ago. With all the warnings about high piston temps with a chip I disconnected the chip a few month ago. I fitted a EGT gauge a few days ago to see if the chip really pushed up the temps that much. The probe is between the exhaust port of piston 3 and 4. I drove the Triton without the chip for a few days to get a measure of what the normal EGT temps are. Then I re-connected the chip. The EGT temps are now about 10% higher at idle and about 30% higher at full throttle. Its quite easy to manage the EGT temps with the gauge installed with your driving style. I have set the MAX warning at 600 deg which is fairly low. Only swambo has managed to get to the max temp in town once!

I save about 1,5 liters of diesel per 100 km with the chip (not scientifically measured, just my observation), but the Triton is quite lively to drive and much more fun. (DPF has been removed and EGR blanked about 2 years ago)

If you have a chip in your Triton, fit an EGT gauge, the temps with the chip rises quick a lot faster with throttle input than I expected, but can be controlled very easily with driving style. Fitting the gauge was easy with no holes drilled in the Triton at all. The probe was fitted in the EGR blanking plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 340; 2019/08/21 at 08:49 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 340 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Triton EGT Readings

Nice one!
    Where did you get the EGT gauge? I would like to add to my vehicle, especially to monitor EGT while towing.
    Triton 3.2 A/T D/Cab 4x4 (EGR blanked, Remapped, 63mm zorst)
    BL Vlooi 295
    Platkar - Rav4
    Previously: Isuzu "LUV", Disco D1 TDi, KZ-TE
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    A bad day in the bush is better than a good day at the office

Default Re: Triton EGT Readings

Dust-devil, I got the EGT gauge (probe included in kit) from Electronicpro for R1008.00. Delivery took 10 days to my door. E mail them at [email protected]
    Last edited by 340; 2019/08/23 at 08:11 AM.