National Luna 90L Twin Fault ID Issues

Default National Luna 90L Twin Fault ID Issues

Hey everyone, I'm posting on behalf of a buddy of mine. He's using a BL Baobab caravan which is only a year old. He's powering the caravan with 2 x AGM batteries and has no issues with keeping them charged.

His NL 90L is having an intermittent issue. Often times while traveling in the bush, the fault ID will blink once, then the compressor will try and restart, but often doesn't ever restart to cool.

We've checked voltage from the battery which is 13.7v and at the fridge/freezer plug it is 13.69. We've checked the brad harrison connection where the fridge cable connects to battery power, and all connections are tight. We've checked the connections at the breaker panel and Victron board and everything is solid. All connections to the battery are solid too. We've wiggled everything around while measuring voltage at the fridge plug and nothing budged. It stayed at a constant 13.69v. I also pulled the cover off the compressor to check the wiring there. Everything looks good and the fuse is good too.

What am I missing What could be wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    David Killough
    2016 Landcruiser 200 GX-R
    1995 Landcruiser (UK Spec) SOLD
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

Default Re: National Luna 90L Twin Fault ID Issues

Is turbo off and on low battery cut out

Quote Originally Posted by Climbingnut View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm posting on behalf of a buddy of mine. He's using a BL Baobab caravan which is only a year old. He's powering the caravan with 2 x AGM batteries and has no issues with keeping them charged.

His NL 90L is having an intermittent issue. Often times while traveling in the bush, the fault ID will blink once, then the compressor will try and restart, but often doesn't ever restart to cool.

We've checked voltage from the battery which is 13.7v and at the fridge/freezer plug it is 13.69. We've checked the brad harrison connection where the fridge cable connects to battery power, and all connections are tight. We've checked the connections at the breaker panel and Victron board and everything is solid. All connections to the battery are solid too. We've wiggled everything around while measuring voltage at the fridge plug and nothing budged. It stayed at a constant 13.69v. I also pulled the cover off the compressor to check the wiring there. Everything looks good and the fuse is good too.

What am I missing What could be wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Flashing Twice in 4 seconds could be the fan is damaged, excessive dust build up on it, or ventilation to the fan blocked somehow.

The troubleshooting page in the booklet provides quite a few scenarios.

Hope you get it sorted.

EDIT: Sorry David I see now it blinked Once only, then it could be what calitzfamily said above. Best consult the book.

Cheers

Grumbles
    Last edited by Grumbles; 2019/08/20 at 07:24 PM.
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna" - SOLD
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!

Thanks for the replies. Strangely, his light only blinks once and then tries to reset the fridge. The book didn't have a troubleshoot for that. My fridge did the once every four seconds blink and in the end it turned out my batteries were knackered.

Given I have a BL Miskruier with a NL 90L, we swapped fridges to test. His fridge performed perfectly on my Miskruier, albeit the caravan was plugged into mains, but I think the NL fridge still draws power from the batteries. Either way, my NL 90L immediately did a blink once every four seconds.

Turbo was on and it was initially set to the highest battery cutout setting. I then dropped it to the 9.5v setting, but I don't recall that making a difference.

I'm starting to think his batteries are finished, which to me is strange as they are expensive AGM batteries that are only 14 months old. I was under the impression that AGM batteries are best for solar powered caravan setups, and that they hold up extremely well to the bouncing and motion seen in bush situations.

Thoughts?
    David Killough
    2016 Landcruiser 200 GX-R
    1995 Landcruiser (UK Spec) SOLD
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

The 13.69v you measured at the fridge plug tells me it's not necessarily the batteries, do you have any way to measure the battery voltage while the compressor of the fridge is running to see by how much the voltage drops under load?
    Also have you tried running anything else on the batteries to see how long they last?
    If the batteries don't hold charge anymore the fridge will cut out but won't start up again since the batteries won't be able to recover that quickly. Have you swopped out the power cable of the fridge, maybe it's that cable?
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

I had exactly the same issue 3 weeks ago. I tested the batteries by running the fridge (74lt NL) and some lights without AC. After some hours the fridge also stopped working and a single red blink every 4 seconds. I switched off the turbo function and adjusted the Voltage cutout lower. Problem solved.
    Having said that, I will run another test before my next trip just to be 100% sure

'15 Prado 4.0 VX
    '13 Jurgens Xcell
    '18 Echo Chobe (sold)

He does have a bad connection on the 12V line (connector or fuse) with a high resistance.

High resistance = voltage drop when compressor starts.

Best regards.
    Last edited by JohannP; 2019/08/22 at 04:22 PM.
    Johann Prinsloo.
    Camp Fridge Repair.
    Lynnwood
    Pretoria
    082 903 9971.

Put the fridge on escom en see if the lights are still caming on