Gen 4 MAF sensor clean

Default Gen 4 MAF sensor clean

Just wanted to share my experience with cleaning the MAF sensor on my LWB Gen 4 DiD 3.2 over the week-end. My car was getting more and more sluggish from pull away especially, it felt like it had more turbo lag than usual. Also cold starting have been an issue for me for a year or two now, but have not had the glow plugs checked out yet etc.

Decided to do the MAF clean with some electronic cleaner to see if it improves anything. MAF was quite dirty, blasted it couple of times with the electronic cleaner (inside and out), after 1st removing it from the intake pipe, and left it for an hour to dry and replaced back again.

The difference is massive this morning! Car starts easier and the 1st gear punch is back! Turbo seems to spool up earlier ... For me it really made quite a difference in response of the car, so if anyone else have the same symptoms perhaps it's worth a try to clean the MAF sensor as well.

Think it's the 1st time it's been cleaned in it's 235000km ...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SUVer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gen 4 MAF sensor clean

Hi SUVer,

You didn't perhaps take a few pictures?
    Last edited by Diversions; 2019/08/31 at 08:26 PM.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

Just unclip the plug, undo the two screws and then gently handle the sensor and spray the probe a few times with the electrical spray. It’s the spray that you use to clean electrical connectors, available at Midas etc.

2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

Thanks Kurt!

I have read elsewhere on this Forum that the MAP sensor should also get cleaned from time to time. Do you have any thoughts?
    See that the MAP on the Gen4 is located next to the diesel filter and looks easy enough to remove for cleaning; if this is actually necessary.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Diversions For This Useful Post:

Always used Herscells on mine. At Builders. Made a huge difference each time.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Diversions View Post
    Thanks Kurt!

I have read elsewhere on this Forum that the MAP sensor should also get cleaned from time to time. Do you have any thoughts?
    See that the MAP on the Gen4 is located next to the diesel filter and looks easy enough to remove for cleaning; if this is actually necessary.
    I clean the MAF, MAP and crank sensor every 6 months with electric contact cleaner...Have not broken anything yet, just make sure you do it when the car is cold so the hot part does not suddenly get an ice cold shower! Also use residue free electrical contact cleaner. I got the cleaner from Bearing Man, cant remember the name of the product.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Kurt!

It is not so much the actual MAP sensor as much as the rubber pipe that can be a common problem which can crack and perish and cause issues. If the EGR is not disabled carbon can block the small fitting on the inlet manifold that the rubber pipe connects onto. Make sure the fitting on the manifold is clear.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

I started researching because my Pajero “was getting more and more sluggish from pull away especially and it felt like it had more turbo lag than usual.” To my surprise I came across the first post in this thread from SUVer from whom I stole the above quote.

What I don’t understand is how the MAF sensor can get dirty if its located after the air cleaner and I have replaced the air filter every 10000 Km without fail. In addition if the sensor can in fact get dirty then why is it not a service item and listed on the Service Schedule anywhere?

From info gathered from various Forums I purchased some CRC MAF Cleaner today and cleaned the sensor after work. With thanks to Kurt for the photos the whole job took less than ten minutes.

I let the vehicle stand about an hour to let the sensor dry and then took it for a test drive. To steal another quote from SUVer “The difference is massive ........ and the 1st gear punch is back! Turbo seems to spool up earlier ... For me it really made quite a difference in response of the car, so if anyone else has the same symptoms perhaps it's worth a try to clean the MAF sensor as well.”

At a cost of only R 90 for a large can of MAF Cleaner I will certainly make this a more frequent service item. Just for the record, this was the first clean in 210000 Km.
    Last edited by Diversions; 2019/09/05 at 07:34 AM.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diversions For This Useful Post:

I started researching because my Pajero “was getting more and more sluggish from pull away especially and it felt like it had more turbo lag than usual.” To my surprise I came across the first post in this thread from SUVer from whom I stole the above quote.

What I don’t understand is how the MAF sensor can get dirty if its located after the air cleaner and I have replaced the air filter every 10000 Km without fail. In addition if the sensor can in fact get dirty then why is it not a service item and listed on the Service Schedule anywhere?

From info gathered from various Forums I purchased some CRC MAF Cleaner today and cleaned the sensor after work. With thanks to Kurt for the photos the whole job took less than ten minutes.

I let the vehicle stand about an hour to let the sensor dry and then took it for a test drive. To steal another quote from SUVer “The difference is massive ........ and the 1st gear punch is back! Turbo seems to spool up earlier ... For me it really made quite a difference in response of the car, so if anyone else has the same symptoms perhaps it's worth a try to clean the MAF sensor as well.”

At a cost of only R 90 for a large can of MAF Cleaner I will certainly make this a more frequent service item. Just for the record, this was the first clean in 210000 Km.

Was it easy enough to do? I am also noticing some a slight performance dip and I really think it is my dirty sensor and going to try give it a clean this weekend. ANy tips before I give it a try, things to look out for before I do it? Thanks
    2007 Pajero 3.2DiD GLS (SWB)

Quote Originally Posted by chris_Munnik View Post
    Was it easy enough to do? I am also noticing some a slight performance dip and I really think it is my dirty sensor and going to try give it a clean this weekend. ANy tips before I give it a try, things to look out for before I do it? Thanks
    In the pajero club website someone outlined nicely what to do (http://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7714). Clean the airflow differential contacts up in the sensor and not just the external temperature sensor. Very easy to do.

Cheers

Excuse my ignorance. What is a MAF sensor and what is it's purpose?

Bostoe

Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post
    Excuse my ignorance. What is a MAF sensor and what is it's purpose?

Bostoe
    Mass airflow sensor.
    Measures the airflow and is used by the car's computer to calculate air and fuel mixtures in short. If it is dirty the car will go slower and weaker.
    Choose life

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Diversions;4221584]

What one must keep in mind is that an air filter filters most of the airborne dust and other impurities but unfortunately not all. The deposits found on the MAF sensor are indicative of the stuff that gets past the air filter. Again reinforcing the importance of correct maintenance procedures and regular oil drain periods. That dust will be held in suspension in the engine oil and needs to be drained regularly.
    Also it is fact that a dirty air filter is more efficient at filtering than a new one. The problem is when it becomes so dirty that it restricts air flow and increases fuel consumption and reduces performance. You can get air cleaner restriction indicators that tell you the optimum time to service / replace the air filter. These are available from Donaldson Filtration. You get different indicators for petrol and diesel engines.

Picture shows mine fitted to my Pajero 3.2 DID. I simply put a T piece in the Valve cover vent pipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2019/09/19 at 03:50 AM.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Cleaned the MAF on my 2011 Pajero 3.8 over the weekend, 5 minute jobbie, with excellent results. Seems like the power delivery has woken up again, better and smoother acceleration with less throttle input, altogether very happy! Car is now at at little over 110,000 km, and as said, this job is not listed in maintenance schedule, so might not have been done ever during the lifetime of the car, hence the difference? I only got it at 87,000 km.

Used the CRC aerosol product available at R80 from Autozone. The MAF looks like the one in the attached pic. MAF wires are embedded in a thin wafer parallel to the air stream down the slot on top, and air temperature sensor visible to the right bottom on the outside. Sharp pointed shape of the tube hosting the MAF faces the incoming air, just like a bridge pier - nice design!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

Strangely,10 years ago when I first heard about an MAF, very few people knew what is was.
    Cleaning mine made a huge difference to my Tucson.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

With about one month having now passed since I cleaned the MAF, I can also report that, with the better throttle response, the ECU now also managed to teach the auto 'box how to shift much smoother! In the past, whenever you accelerated strongly, there would be an abrupt changeover to a lower gear. Now, it holds the gears far longer and very much smooth-shifts to higher gears as the speed increases. Much nicer experience!

I am truely impressed.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ouarzazate For This Useful Post:

So, based on the above, I went to MIDAS to buy some CRC MAF Cleaner to clean the MAF, however, point number 10 on the back of the can says specifically "DO NOT" use on Mitsubishi and Toyota MAF . What the Heck? (Not too keen to experiment with something that could damage the MAF if it is R11000 to replace as quoted elsewhere)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Johan Conradie Bergvliet For This Useful Post:

I think if you read that can correctly it mentions a specific Mitsubishi MAF that it should not be used on.
    My vehicle is fitted with a Denso unit and for that the CRC Cleaner was not an issue.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Diversions For This Useful Post:

Diversions - what worries me is that many parts on the Mitsu are DENSO (e.g. the SCV) and then sold with a Mitsu part number and Nissan does the same with the SCV as it has a DENSO and a Nissan part number and all manufactured in the same DENSO factory in Thailand - SIAM DENSO MFG CO.LTD) so it gets a bit vague as to whether Mitsu actually manufacture ANY parts of this nature. CRC seem to be covering their backsides by saying Mitsu MAF in general without specifying DENSO.

I cleaned my Gen 4 Pajero’s with Spanjaard electronic cleaner bought from midas on Sunday. The throttle response is seriously better. Car pulls great! Well worth it!
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2019/10/28 at 09:15 PM.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bostokkelos For This Useful Post: