Ford & Mazda Trailblazer cooling - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Trailblazer cooling

Re. the looks of my Chevy with the two breathing holes next to the numberplate: I took some longstanding friends up the mountain last week. They are all Pajero owners and were extremely interested in how the Chevy was going to do. The result is that they inspected all angles of my Chevy and peared into every nook and cranny. One guy even managed to knock a quart beer over in my boot area. Yet, none of them saw the holes in the nose. I'm personally not noticing it either.
    PS: they were all very impressed with the comfort and off-road ability of the old Blazer.

Those are hardly noticeable and if you do see them, they dont look out of place at all.

Glad to hear they are having the intended effect. Trans temp is always a concern and you appear to have this sorted.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Estee,
    Thanks for your input during this little exercise of mine, and yes, I'm really happy that I did it.
    And by the way, happy birthday - may you have a great year.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Re. the looks of my Chevy with the two breathing holes next to the numberplate: I took some longstanding friends up the mountain last week. They are all Pajero owners and were extremely interested in how the Chevy was going to do. The result is that they inspected all angles of my Chevy and peared into every nook and cranny. One guy even managed to knock a quart beer over in my boot area. Yet, none of them saw the holes in the nose. I'm personally not noticing it either.
    PS: they were all very impressed with the comfort and off-road ability of the old Blazer.
    It looks like it is supposed to be there.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Oppies, the V-shaped bottom of the hole is actually a bulky styrofoam-type object that lies across the width of my car's nose. I assume it is safety (maybe airbag??) related. If I'm prepared to cut into or even remove that lose lying thing, then I can enlarge those slots a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Amazing difference after 1st test. The car cruises 2C cooler at 77-78C. The climb from Badplaas towards Barberton, with cruise set to the speed limit, used to push the temperature up to 90C from 79C. Today it only went as high as 82C.
    And all that from those two small square openings next to the number plate.
    Hi Roelf.
    Laat weet hoe vaar jou toetse t.o.v temperatuur. Dalk was die 'ambient' temp laag daardie dag?
    Het die TB 'n difflock? Ek oorweeg een vir ons volgende vakansie/gesin's voertuig.
    ''​Luck favours the prepared man''

Discovery 3 HSE - 2.7V6Tdi 2008 (Written off)

Hi,
    I haven't really had another opportunity to do a comparison. I will definitely report back on whatever transpires.
    No mechanical difflock on the Blazer. The electronic assistance works well and it is a real go-anywhere car. It does however require you to allow the "open" wheel to spin a little before the black magic kicks in and out you go.

We used to have to cut 3 openings into those terrible 3L Toyota turbo Hilux's bumpers, insert 3 plastic grills, move numberplate and fiddle with aircon wires (to switch it off when getting too hot). This was at Toyota dealers as per a TSB.

Just to be clear.
    As per my original post, there is nothing wrong with my car's cooling. I just hate that half the radiator isn't exposed to direct airflow and I know that I take my car into harm's way every now and then. So I just want to do my little bit to be a caring owner.

i tend to agree with you.
    towing a 1,8 ton boat on trailer up pongola pass not much temp dif was noticed.
    well seeing plastic is being recycled, they have more to fit it!!!

Roelf ever thought of checking EGT when towing.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Roelf ever thought of checking EGT when towing.
    Hi Grips,

Nope, I've never had one of those devices in a car. My gut feel is that the number will be scary.
    The good thing about the Chevy having the coolant temp digital readout is that you see the temp rising, where a "normal" car will simply have the gauge sit passively at normal, while coolant temp is actually up and down the whole time. I have no doubt that EGT has to climb drastically to be able to push up the coolant temp. So rising coolant temp is my warning of high EGT and I react accordingly to get it back down again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naguiltjie View Post
    Hi Roelf.
    Laat weet hoe vaar jou toetse t.o.v temperatuur. Dalk was die 'ambient' temp laag daardie dag?
    Het die TB 'n difflock? Ek oorweeg een vir ons volgende vakansie/gesin's voertuig.

Hallo daar. TB het ongelukkig nie 'n diff lock nie, maar het 'n LSD. Ek kon nooit verstaan hoekom hy nie met 'n diff lock uitgekom het nie.
    2018 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 4x4 Auto
    2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT (SOLD)

Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5

My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

Roelf, interesting clip from ASPW on cooling, and what effect something like a number plate can have on EGT.

https://youtu.be/h5hN57NpI_g
    2014 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 Auto 4x4
    2015 Jurgens XT140 Ext... maar ek soek 'n Bush Lapa
    Who needs a diff lock if you have 500Nm's

Thanks for the link.
    My immediate reaction was: bulldust!!
    The airflow through the radiator has nothing to do with EGT. EGT is influenced by the nature of the detonation in the combustion chamber. That gas is immediately expelled into the exhaust and then passes over the heat sensor for the EGT. The heat caused by the detonation obviously heats up all the surrounding metal and this will runaway very quickly if you don't pump engine coolant through that whole lot. They even say in that clip that it all starts with the EGT, so a tiny change to the "after effect" can not influence the originator of the heat by 60C.

I seem to have a 2C drop in coolant temp due to my slots. How can 2C drop in coolant result in a 60C drop in EGT. But still, the EGT affects the coolant temp and not the other way round.

The rest of their discussion, re. significance of stuff affecting radiator airflow, I agree with.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2020/03/30 at 07:20 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2