Braaiwood into KNP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Braaiwood into KNP

We are shortly visiting Kruger for a month (caravaning). In the past we use to buy braaiwood before entering the park,is this still allowed or do one now have to buy inside the park at their price?

2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion A/T
    2019 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI Highline
    2015 Jurgens Xplorer

Default Re: Braaiwood into KNP

I have never had a problem taking wood into kNP from Komatipoort side - I doubt it would be any different from any other entrance route.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

If you care about Kruger, don't bring any in. They are trying to prevent the hole-shot borer beetle getting into Kruger. So bringing wood from Gauteng is irresponsible, whether currently still allowed or not.

https://polyphagous-shot-hole-borer.co.za/pshb/
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post:

The other problem to be aware of is the the locals selling at the gates are ravaging the veld in that area and chopping down anything they can sell as wood, causing great damage to the natural bush/wildlife habitat.
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2019/08/19 at 12:39 PM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

They have stopped people bringing wood into the national reserves, due to the shot gun beetle. it was on news 24. A week or two back.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/08/19 at 12:39 PM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

I was NOT aware off these issue at all !
    If that is the case then I FULLY support NOT taking wood into KNP.

However - you kind of burn it quite soon - I suppose you only need one or (probably two) to get away ... and THERE we go!

So I fully support any reasonable counter-measures.

HOWEVER:
    If we do not support the local communities ..... then ?
    So I DO understand both sides of the story.

Too many questions and SO FEW answers ...

Not ONE of us knows all the answers - it all boils down to: TOO MANY PEOPLE. WE ARE the virus!!!

Eish - a "slight" bit off topic - but I do get worked up about these kind of issues - applogies, BUT I am posting it ANYWAY!
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    They have stopped people bringing wood into the national reserves, due to the shot gun beetle. it was on news 24. A week or two back.
    Not quite correct. Unless you are able to find the report? I cannot find it.

https://lowvelder.co.za/497758/dange...d-kruger-park/

Bringing firewood from outside is not banned, though should the beetle be found by researchers, such a ban may be imposed, says Navashni Govender, senior conservation manager in the KNP.
    I would however, not bring wood in, and rather buy inside, in order to prevent possible contamination and infestation issues.
    Last edited by Mtber; 2019/08/19 at 01:27 PM.

Firstly... they have never asked us about wood when entering the park and have ignored the wood that we did bring in.... BUT

Secondly... there is already evidence of this plague in the park. We were in Talamati last week and we identified a few trees that has this scourge and there large banners about the problem at the reception area.

I would strongly suggest in either buying in park or making very sure that the wood you do take is not infested.....
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

I agree that no wood should enter from places far from Kruger.

But at almost R40 a bag for real junk at Mopani, I will for sure bring in my own (from somewhere just outside the park)
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 830 000 km

https://www.fabinet.up.ac.za/index.php/research/7

The invasion in South Africa

Since its discovery in KwaZulu-Natal in 2017, the FABI team has confirmed the presence of the PSHB in eight of the nine provinces in South Africa. The only exception as of March 2019 is Limpopo, but that might merely be because appropriate samples have not been received from that province. Below is a list of all the host trees in South Africa on which the presence of the beetle and/or fungus have been confirmed with DNA sequences in FABI.
    Based on the experiences in California and Israel, avocado trees are among the most susceptible agricultural crop trees to PHSB infestation and FD. To date, it has been found on some backyard avocado's in Sandton and Knysna, and not in any commercial orchards in South Africa (Van den Berg et al. 2019). However, PSHB was discovered infesting pecan tree orchards in the Northern Cape and one pecan tree in Nelspruit. Other fruit trees in private gardens on which it has been found include lemon, orange, guava, peach, and grapevine. However, at this point there is no evidence suggesting that PSHB pose a threat to these crops, but producers should carefully monitor and report any infestations.
    In addition to agriculture, commercial forestry is another sector that is concerned. We have only found small numbers of roadside wattle trees with PSHB infestations in the Southern Cape, with a single roadside eucalyptus tree infested in Sandton. No trees in commercial plantations, including pines, have been detected with PSHB in South Africa.
    The most visible impact of the PSHB invasion in South Africa is in urban forests on street, park and garden trees, and this became the focus of many articles in the media. Many trees have been killed by PSHB in Sandton, George, and Knysna, while reports from Sedgefield, Bloemfontein, Ekhurhuleni, Jankempdorp, Hartbeesfontein, Pietermaritzburg and Durban suggest that the impact is becoming worse in those areas. The most common trees to be killed are English oak, Chinese maple, Japanese maple, boxelder, and sweetgum.
    Of great concern is the recent discovery of PSHB on London plane and sweetgum in Somerset West in the Cape Peninsula. With the major impact of the disease on oak trees in especially the George and Knysna areas, it is inevitable that the famous oaks of Stellenbosch and the surrounding wine farms will be dramatically impacted.
    Most unpredictable is the impact that the PSHB invasion will have on our native forests. Several native tree species were found to be infested in the gardens of Sandton, George and Knysna, with species like the coral tree, keurboom and Cape willow being particularly vulnerable and often killed. It is now known that the beetle is spreading from the urban areas into native forests close to the towns of George, Knysna and Durban. However, which species will be affected and to what extent, is unpredictable.

I am not sure to what extent dried hardwoods from the bushveld will carry the beetle or fungus! My guess is that it prefers softer tropical/forest trees.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

http://www.hurlingham.org.za/the-spr.../borer-beetle/

Which trees are at risk?
    Believed to be native to South East Asia (Vietnam), the PSHB has wreaked havoc in California and Israel in especially avo orchards, and there is great concern that it is putting Johannesburg’s tree canopy at risk. It is not known how the beetle arrived in South Africa, but it has been already been detected in different parts of South Africa across an array of climatic conditions. Whilst other beetle species will attack only a certain species/ family of trees, the PSHB is ‘unique’ in that it does not seem to ‘favour’ any particular species of tree.

As many as 50 different tree species have already been infected by the PSHB in South Africa – including some of our indigenous trees. Whilst other borer beetle species target ‘sickly’ trees or dead wood, the PSHB attacks both healthy and stressed trees. It does not appear to favour dead wood – probably on account of the fungus needing to replicate in the live sapwood of a tree.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

Thank you guys. I share your sentiments and was worried about the borrer worm threat. In the past we use to buy at the filling stations outside the park.

2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion A/T
    2019 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI Highline
    2015 Jurgens Xplorer

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    I agree that no wood should enter from places far from Kruger.

But at almost R40 a bag for real junk at Mopani, I will for sure bring in my own (from somewhere just outside the park)

Take charcoal, save'st
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

19. The Following User Says Thank You to stevan For This Useful Post:

Yes you are allowed to take your own wood into Kruger. A lot of guys do it.

With that being said, wood bought just outside the gate most probably come from local communities chopping down trees in the area. Depending on where your moral compass lie, one could argue if this is good or bad.

We usually take our own charcoal and then buy wood inside the Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Indabelly View Post
    Yes you are allowed to take your own wood into Kruger. A lot of guys do it.

With that being said, wood bought just outside the gate most probably come from local communities chopping down trees in the area. Depending on where your moral compass lie, one could argue if this is good or bad.

We usually take our own charcoal and then buy wood inside the Park.
    Wondering where the park gets its wood from??

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    In our estate in the bush, they remove loads and loads of sekelbos due to the animals not really browsing from its leaves. I presume in the Kruger the same is done, this and picking up of dead branches (in areas).

http://www.hurlingham.org.za/the-spr.../borer-beetle/

Which trees are at risk?
    Believed to be native to South East Asia (Vietnam), the PSHB has wreaked havoc in California and Israel in especially avo orchards, and there is great concern that it is putting Johannesburg’s tree canopy at risk. It is not known how the beetle arrived in South Africa, but it has been already been detected in different parts of South Africa across an array of climatic conditions. Whilst other beetle species will attack only a certain species/ family of trees, the PSHB is ‘unique’ in that it does not seem to ‘favour’ any particular species of tree.

As many as 50 different tree species have already been infected by the PSHB in South Africa – including some of our indigenous trees. Whilst other borer beetle species target ‘sickly’ trees or dead wood, the PSHB attacks both healthy and stressed trees. It does not appear to favour dead wood – probably on account of the fungus needing to replicate in the live sapwood of a tree.
    I identified some PSHB in a decorative wood thing I had at home. Didn't know what it was at the time.... eventually had to chuck the stuff as I was unable to kill them in its entirety.
    Last edited by Mtber; 2019/08/19 at 02:07 PM.

Hi peter, yes I fully agree on the "numbers"

The stripping of the veld for fire wood purposes, was the (main) reason that the Parks Board many years ago, stopped providing firewood to tourists. It Had a huge negative impact on the environment.

Whilst I also feel for the local communities, they have in fact just continued where the Parks Board stopped and thus the negative impact has geographically expanded.

From outside sources.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Valid question, but at least you know that there will be oversight regarding the sourcing of the wood with Sanparks involved.

Because of the disease threat and outside villagers destroying the bit thats left outside ..we only take in Braai Briquettes ..You still braai and chat around the braai and you do your bit for conservation too

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast