2012 Hilux Vigo Second Battery

Default 2012 Hilux Vigo Second Battery

Hey guys. I've been thinking of adding a second battery in the engine bay for my 2012 Hilux Vigo DC. My main reasons are to provide back up power to jump start myself in the event that the main battery dies, as well as to provide additional power to my fridge in the back. Will most likely be going for a normal crank battery and not a deep cycle, as I'm trying to keep cost at a minimum since the fridge only gets used once in a blue moon and I have a portable battery box, when I do happen to use it for an extended period of time.

I was going to go with Frontrunner, but I'm unsure of whether to go for the 70A or the 105A battery bracket. 105A would be ideal as bigger is better, but I am worried about it taking too much space in the engine bay, potentially blocking access to the firewall.

Anybody have any experience with the frontrunner bracket on their Hilux? Which would you say is more preferable. The cost of the two brackets are negligible, so thats nothing to take into account.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: 2012 Hilux Vigo Second Battery

105 seems the better option, but the position of the bracket and size make it uncomfortable. Also when I changed to the new shape bakkie, it was very difficult to get a bracket with the 105 for the 2016+ models. (FR only does a 70Ah for the new shape)

I would go for the smaller 70Ah, less weight, looks neater, more space in engine bay at the end of the day. If you are worried about capacity, get a DC-DC charger with a solar panel

I fitted one to my Vigo. 105 bracket. Bit of a fiddle to get it in. I also had to move the alarm bracket as well as the trigger switch for the bonnet.

BUT, the battery gets very hot in there. My DC-DC charger stops charging at 60 degrees. Which happens a lot in summer.
    I have since moved the battery to the back in the canopy. Much cooler in there. I would recommend to rather do this in stead of in the front.
    Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

Quote Originally Posted by coetzer94 View Post
    105 seems the better option, but the position of the bracket and size make it uncomfortable. Also when I changed to the new shape bakkie, it was very difficult to get a bracket with the 105 for the 2016+ models. (FR only does a 70Ah for the new shape)

I would go for the smaller 70Ah, less weight, looks neater, more space in engine bay at the end of the day. If you are worried about capacity, get a DC-DC charger with a solar panel
    Thanks for this. I am leaning more towards the 70AH after this

Quote Originally Posted by pietas View Post
    I fitted one to my Vigo. 105 bracket. Bit of a fiddle to get it in. I also had to move the alarm bracket as well as the trigger switch for the bonnet.

BUT, the battery gets very hot in there. My DC-DC charger stops charging at 60 degrees. Which happens a lot in summer.
    I have since moved the battery to the back in the canopy. Much cooler in there. I would recommend to rather do this in stead of in the front.
    This helps loads. I think I'll stick with the 70AH.

Don't really want to put the battery at the back as I don't go outdoors enough to justify the permanent loss of space in the canopy. Also, I have my hcdp portable power pack in the back when I do go camping, so that would take too much space. My current setup is a cable running from the main cranking battery through a solenoid down to the canopy area to power the battery pack or fridge directly. If I were to put a second battery in the engine bay, it would be charged through the cole hersee. Just really need enough power to jump start myself and not worry about ever draining the primary battery, so I'm not looking to go the DC-DC route just yet.

I think for my needs the 70AH will do just fine. Thanks for the help guys