Input on tough MTs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Input on tough MTs

Evening all

Iím interested in everyonesí opinions on capable MT tyres for a Cruiser pick-up (so probably 235/85/16s), but must have good sidewalls.

Will be used pretty much permanently off-road for long-term during wet-season in sticky cotton-soil conditions, and must have decent puncture-resistant sidewalls, but puncturing is not a major everyday risk.

Normal heavy-duty truck 7.50/16s or conventional ATs wonít cut it traction-wise.

As an extra requirement, every now and then, needs to make a comfortable (i.e. as quiet as possible) 2,000km trip on tar.

Thanks in advance for for your input.

HS

Default Re: Input on tough MTs

Maxxis 772 ... I understand were designed for max puncture resistance...eg for mining vehicles.
    A friend has them on his overland cruiser ..very happy so far.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jay For This Useful Post:

BFG,s or Cooper STT

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leon Venter For This Useful Post:

These tyres are busy setting the new benchmark.
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Maxxis 772 ... I understand were designed for max puncture resistance...eg for mining vehicles.
    A friend has them on his overland cruiser ..very happy so far.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Take my 2c's worth with a pinch of salt... I've had my General Grabber X3's on my Ssangyong Korando in 235/85/16 on for about 2 weeks now (2500km) and hey are very well behaved on tar roads. They are surprisingly quite. Off road ability I cannot attest to yet as I've only done Sani pass with them and a little bit in the quarry and so far I am very happy with them especially a the price point, R2300 per tyre. They are LT spec tyres with 3ply sidewall.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChristiaanV For This Useful Post:

Why donít you get 2 sets if tyres. A pair of super heavy duty off road tyres and a pair of good AT type tyres ?

Seeing that the MTís will then only be used off-road they could even be re-treads or remoulded tyres. I remember that you could get a retread with a similar treadpattern to the ones used on the military Buffels and Samils and that certainly should be able to do the job !

Johan 😎
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

Thanks Henris and Jay - will look into these.

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    These tyres are busy setting the new benchmark.

Thanks Johan - have done this before. But for this job I don't have the luxury of space to take another 5/6 tyres with.

Quote Originally Posted by J Snyman View Post
    Why donít you get 2 sets if tyres. A pair of super heavy duty off road tyres and a pair of good AT type tyres ?

Johan 😎

Looks like your requirements are sort of mutually exclusive, comfort & aggressive mud tyre...

However, have a look at the Kumho KL71 MT. All of those who have driven it say it is very quiet for a mud tyre, because it got a directional tread pattern. Can't remember hearing anything bad about them. Your tyre size might be difficult to find, though.

The Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 is another good mud tyre, which is regarded as relatively comfortable.

The Cooper Discoverer STT PRO is a very good mud tyre with 3 ply Armor Tek3 side wall. A more modern MT tyre which might make the ride a little less noisy, but in general certainly not geared towards comfort.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

What about these GoodYear's

- DuPont Kevlar reinforced sidewalls help increase sidewall puncture resistance by 35%**
    - Hardworking wraparound tread helps to deliver sidewall traction in deep mud, sand, and rocks
    - Innovative asymmetric tread design helps provide aggressive off-road traction and enhanced handling on the road
    - Advanced silica rubber for superb off-road and wet traction

R 3718.00

https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/g...th-kevlar/7987
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

The one concern with the GY MTRs has always been longevity. Apart from that, a fantastic tyre. To add, if you're worried about a lot of punctures, I would stay away from the uni-directional and asymmetric stuff.

The reality is that a tough MT tyre will almost by default not be very good as a daily road tyre. They will be noisy, and if they need to be tough, that means they need thick tread and sidewalls. So they often don't deflate as nicely as a softer tyre.

As of now, I wouldn't look past the new BF Goodrich MT KM3. I've had my ones for about 20000kms now and love them. The Voetspore guys are also using them for their latest trip around SA.
    Last edited by JohanRoux; 2019/08/20 at 11:41 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    The Voetspore guys are also using them for their latest trip around SA.
    Keep in mind that they make use of SPONSORED tyres. The same as Kingsley Holgate with Coopers, etc

Tyres you donít have to pay for are always the best !

Johan 😎
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Snyman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J Snyman View Post
    Keep in mind that they make use of SPONSORED tyres. The same as Kingsley Holgate with Coopers, etc

Tyres you donít have to pay for are always the best !

Johan 😎
    Absolutely, but, in all the years I haven't seen them on the likes of Dunlop, Hankook, Continental, Pirelli and so on. They have, based on my recollection of the last 10 years or so, only ever used BFG, Mickey Thompson and Good Year. So why don't the other brands want to sponsor them? But that's a topic for another thread. My point was actually that BFG MTs are known for being tough, and the KM3 is in all respects better than the KM2 was.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanRoux For This Useful Post:

Thanks all!

8 or 9 different suggestions here

Clearly, there aren't too many bad options then!

Will see what's available in the size without having to change rims too ...

Alternative option at half the price. I know of a few people using these on there daily driver and no serious complaints about on road grip/noise etc.

https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/a...awk-x-mt/10467
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

I have these ... grip is great, noise is ok, don't really care about that though, having a bit of balancing issues, but I assume that comes with all MT's. They are awesome off-road, I bought them especially for the terrible gravel roads I use and the 8 ply just takes it all with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    Alternative option at half the price. I know of a few people using these on there daily driver and no serious complaints about on road grip/noise etc.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to deejaycee_2000 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post

Just make sure to not get an old batch and deflate accordingly.. otherwise bye bye lugs on first bit of power and rocky situation. I'll try these again, one day...
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

28. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by deejaycee_2000 View Post
    They are awesome off-road, I bought them especially for the terrible gravel roads I use and the 8 ply just takes it all with no issues.
    DJC

you mention 8 ply above, can you confirm whether that includes sidewall or is tread only?

thanks

I assume it includes the sidewall but I could be wrong, it's got a x-pattern that runs over the edge onto the sidewall that is extremely thick and will protect the sidewall against sharp objects from penetrating the sidewall. This is why I assume it is. These tyres are extremely heavy and bulky. The reason I bought them is because of the terrible gravel roads I encounter daily. 3 trouble free years and still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by HatSpruiter View Post
    DJC

you mention 8 ply above, can you confirm whether that includes sidewall or is tread only?

thanks

31. The Following User Says Thank You to deejaycee_2000 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by deejaycee_2000 View Post
    I assume it includes the sidewall but I could be wrong, it's got a x-pattern that runs over the edge onto the sidewall that is extremely thick and will protect the sidewall against sharp objects from penetrating the sidewall. This is why I assume it is. These tyres are extremely heavy and bulky. The reason I bought them is because of the terrible gravel roads I encounter daily. 3 trouble free years and still going strong.
    Those tyres have got an 8 ply rating (8PR) which means they most probably don't have 8 plies, probably 5 or 6 but supposedly perform like a standard tyre with 8 plies. This just applies to the running surface of the tyre, not the sidewall. Have a look at the "fine print" on the tyre's sidewall, usually close to the rim it states how many plies the tyre is made off and what those plies are. Right there it would also say how many plies the sidewall is made up from.

Doesn't mean it's a bad tyre, just this 8PR or 8 ply rating can be misleading. As long as the tyre performs well, I personally don't care how many plies the tyre is constructed of.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast