Discovery 4 V8 advice needed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Discovery 4 V8 advice needed

Hi all.

I am considering purchasing a V8 LR4 . I have had 4 FL2 and a Disco 4 XS , over the years. Loved the cars to bits.

Now selling my platkar ( 330d ) and want a disco 4 again.

The general sentiment seems to be that the V8 is more reliable.

I have identified 3 vehicles and would like some of the experienced owners opinions. Also , has anyone experienced any problems with the air suspension? From what i can gather , the water pump is the main problem of note and needs replacement.

The links to the vehicles :
    1. https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...-4/v8/25117280. Long range tank a nice mod.

2.https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...-4/v8/25116941

3.https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...-4/v8/25058789

Should i spend more and look at later year models up to about 350 k ?

Please note that i have not yet viewed any of the above vehicles. Feel free to post any other vehicles you may be aware of for sale .

Thank you

Default Re: Discovery 4 V8 advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by T1VA View Post
    Hi all.

I am considering purchasing a V8 LR4 . I have had 4 FL2 and a Disco 4 XS , over the years. Loved the cars to bits.

Now selling my platkar ( 330d ) and want a disco 4 again.

The general sentiment seems to be that the V8 is more reliable.
    Yes it is a general sentiment. However, as an owner of the 2012 SE v8, I would say 100% go ahead. Been reliable for us and it's lovely and powerful. Fuel use is not as heavy I think its manageable. No air suspension or water pump issues faced so far.

I have a D4 V8 Hse -----256 km on the clock and I am out in the bush once a month ----have done up to 4 rating tracks----daily runner----if I can I will sell my Merc for another D4 ----no issues at all-----look after her an she will return the favor
    Grow old disgracefully

Hi all.

Should i spend more and look at later year models up to about 350 k ?

Thank you
    I think buy what you are easily compfotavle spending, and then keep remainder for work to be done or buy a good extended warranty.
    I got a d3v8 and absolutely love it. I got a good warranty and my air compressor died, warranty replaced and and im smiling.

i dont think i will ever drive another diesel lr again. other than usual discovery stuff i dont believe you have anything to worry about.
    in fact my d3 v8 is currently cheaper to run than my d1 300tdi with all the repairs/maintenave i had to do..

in a few years ill prob get a 2015 spec d4 v8 and keep and smiling

fantastic thing, any year from 2010 upwards, only the diesels had gearbox and a few other changes, the v8 remained the same, so a 2010 model is the same as a 2015, you just going to pay a lot more for the year, but are getting the same thing as a 2010.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

Quote Originally Posted by Masterzanshin View Post

in a few years ill prob get a 2015 spec d4 v8 and keep and smiling
    There is no 2015 spec D4 v8. They were last made 2013

You probably meant the D4 SCv6?

Quote Originally Posted by peter bee View Post
    fantastic thing, any year from 2010 upwards, only the diesels had gearbox and a few other changes, the v8 remained the same, so a 2010 model is the same as a 2015, you just going to pay a lot more for the year, but are getting the same thing as a 2010.
    For real?

I think the infotainment system changed a bit from 2011? And a few suspension tweaks?

not as far us i know, i think they all the same, just cost more for a 2015. the suspension system, i think a new compressor was used at some stage.. but the d4 suspension works the same as both my d3 v8 did. i think they were the v8 i am talking about, brought in from 2010 to 2013 and then just sold as whatever year they were sold in, the diesel had a new fancy gear knob and gearbox fitted, the v8 remained the same.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

Firstly I would be careful with the first ad in your list. It is not an HSE as the advertiser states, but an S or SE spec.

The D4 had some minor tweaks for the 2012 build model year (better infotainment system and dashboard screens amongst other things), before the facelift for the 2014 model year. As mentioned the V8s were last built in 2013, and so there are no V8s in the facelifted models, which were all the 3.0 litre supercharged SCV6 for petrol models.

There was a thread on the forum regarding possible problems with the timing chain on V8 engines, and recommending getting a later model, after a certain chassis number, which was late 2012 and 2013 models only, or making sure the issue was properly sorted on older models. Sorry, I don't have a link to the thread now.
    Last edited by CommanderKeen; 2019/08/19 at 10:50 AM.
    Land Rover and VW fan

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderKeen View Post
    Firstly I would be careful with the first ad in your list. It is not an HSE as the advertiser states, but an S or SE spec.
    Yes the 1st model is definitely not an HSE. The give away is that double line embroidery in the middle of passenger seat.

Also a spare tire at the back is a sign that mods were made to the car. Good as they are, it's a sign that you must double check and double check more - nearly everything about such a car, or in short just stay away from it.

The D4 had some minor tweaks for the 2012 build model year (better infotainment system and dashboard screens amongst other things), before the facelift for the 2014 model year. As mentioned the V8s were last built in 2013, and so there are no V8s in the facelifted models, which were all the 3.0 litre supercharged SCV6 for petrol models.

There was a thread on the forum regarding possible problems with the timing chain on V8 engines, and recommending getting a later model, after a certain chassis number, which was late 2012 and 2013 models only, or making sure the issue was properly sorted on older models. Sorry, I don't have a link to the thread now.
    I thought as much. The 2012 models have some improvements to infotainment system, a tiny touch here and there in suspension parts etc. With these machines, a small improvement could go a long way in improving ownership experience.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    water pump issues faced so far.
    Dont wait for it to happen since it will be too late. Just replace it every 60-70k km.

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    Dont wait for it to happen since it will be too late. Just replace it every 60-70k km.
    Curious- does it give any warnings or it just pops..

out of those two you going to spend 55k more on a 2013 model, for what exactly
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

Double post for some reason...
    Last edited by 4xhilux; 2019/08/19 at 11:59 AM.
    Current: Touareg V6 TDi
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Best vehicle I've owned Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - sold at 330 000 km.

No, you'll have some warning, but you will have to check from time to time. On mine, the first time the water pump was replaced, it was truly buggered and the noise could be heard over the normal engine noise from time to time. This was at 94 000 km odd. You could also see the wobble when the engine was running because the bearing had collapsed completely. The second time, at about 130 or 140 000 km, it was picked up during normal service, can't remember exactly how.

Regarding the choice between the vehicles posted I would for the 2010 model. You save R55000, some of which (about R14000 for a good warranty) you can put towards an after market warranty, and the balance towards fuel. Obviously depending whether the 2010 has a full service history. Also, who is the seller for the 2010 model? I don't see details, so it could be a private sale, in which case I would hold out for a while.

D4V8s are regularly advertised for less than R300k.
    Last edited by 4xhilux; 2019/08/19 at 11:58 AM.
    Current: Touareg V6 TDi
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Best vehicle I've owned Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - sold at 330 000 km.

the white d4 is a private seller, i have spoken to him, swambo is looking for a white one, tired of her colour, but all the mods i have had done on hers, i am not so keen.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

Mine did start whining.

Thank you all for your responses thus far.

The search continues, but i have decided that the V8 is the right vehicle .

I do believe there were some infotainment enhancements from 2012 onward.

Thank you all for your responses thus far.

The search continues, but i have decided that the V8 is the right vehicle .

I do believe there were some infotainment enhancements from 2012 onward.
    Yes you probably want MY2012+ because of those minor tweaks here and there.

I have also read some posts where some owners of the v8 that upgraded to the 2014 facelift SCv6 claim that the SCv6 despite being lower in power/torque is more fun to drive daily than the v8.

I dont know, but since you are on the market, perhaps you want to also give a used SCv6 a try and see?

There are a few threads about preventative maintenance or the things to look out for. In essence, you will love it...
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast