PRADO 120 Overland

Default PRADO 120 Overland

Hi Guys

I have owned a 2006 Prado 120 VX (4.0) for about 18 months now. The car has 350 000km with FSH with Toyota. She drives really well with zero problems since I've had her.

My question is:

We would like to "convert" the Prado to a vehicle that is more suited to long distance and overland travel with some basics additions to make camping more comfortable. I am planning a 10 000 trip for January and would like some advice on preventative maintenance.

Can anyone with experience in this regard, recommend :
    1. what kind of mileage with good maintenance can I expect from that motor?
    2. what should I be checking on the vehicle before this trip?
    3. what are the common issues on this vehicle with high mileage
    4. I plan on installing a drawer system, roof racks and possibly a roof tent. is the standard suspension ok or do I need to upgrade.

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.

Regards
    Imo
    2006 Toyota Prado 120 4.0. VX

2019 BMW 1250GS Adventure

[URL="http://Www.two2zanzibar.blogspot.com"]Www.two2zanzibar.blogspot.com

*** ADMIN REMOVED ***

2. The Following User Says Thank You to imo For This Useful Post:

Default Re: PRADO 120 Overland

Those engines are good when looked after. I would have a thorough look at the cooling system. All hoses, waterpump and radiator. If in any doubt about anything, replace. I’d also flush the gearbox. For the rest a proper service and inspection should do. I have a similar vehicle with half the mileage but that is my take.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

All of the above but also check under the vehicle for worn bushes and leaks. If as suggested above you flush the gearbox then you as well change the diff and transfer box oils as the same time as that is a relatively easy task.
    Last edited by Therackermann; 2019/08/18 at 08:02 AM.

Some are problem free at 500 000km and others are terrible at 140 000km, I think it depends not only on the service history, but also previous owners and your mechanical sympathy?

Preventitive maintenance is difficult as you can spend R50k on wheel bearings, cooling systems, gearboxes and such then the fuel pump croaks and you stuck.
    Luckily you can normally find parts and repairers wherever you are without too much pain.

It’s a given that you’ll need to replace the suspension. Stock doesn’t carry loads well. I also removed my middle row of seats and made a platform that uses their mountings. Gives you a huge amount of extra space.
    Check control arm bushes, sway bar links and ball joints. They’re suspect after about 200k.
    Gavin

Thanks for the input chaps.

I will be doing a fluid flush/change throughout the car next weekend. I will also be getting the suspension checked out.

As a matter of interest, does anyone have any idea what a top end rebuild costs on these engines?
    2006 Toyota Prado 120 4.0. VX

2019 BMW 1250GS Adventure

[URL="http://Www.two2zanzibar.blogspot.com"]Www.two2zanzibar.blogspot.com

*** ADMIN REMOVED ***

Quote Originally Posted by imo View Post

I will be doing a fluid flush/change throughout the car next weekend. I will also be getting the suspension checked out.

As a matter of interest, does anyone have any idea what a top end rebuild costs on these engines?
    ***cough ***cough***

Someone I know of is looking at doing an engine rebuild of a Toyota 2H for a cruiser HJ45. Lowest baseline quote so far is around R40k.
    Last edited by Therackermann; 2019/08/18 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imo View Post

I've just changed my Prado's g/box and diff oils - remember to replace the filter inside the g/box aswell, think it as approx. R1200 from Toyota and not too sure if there's an aftermarket one.

Take it past a Toyota dealership and ask them to check the entire vehicle.

It cost me R975 for a complete check the other day.
    They made a list of all the work I needed done.

They did a complete check over all the suspension, cooling system, brakes, drive train etc.

Well worth it when planning a trip.

As for suspension with carrying all that extra load you can get heavy duty standard height coils which should work well when the vehicle is fully loaded + rooftop and drawers.

Otherwise you can take a look at a set of air helpers.
    Last edited by Shwam; 2019/08/19 at 02:27 PM.

Imo - great car and it would be perfect for Overland. Some might say it needs lockers for overlanding but this is something you can do without in my opinion. Consumption also poor, but after 18 months you should know that. Keep a R25k handy to fill up for your trip

You’d probably find on balance you will be better off with that particular vehicle compared to most other brands out there in terms of reliability. Expect to spend a little on the preventative stuff for extra piece of mind like what was said above. I’d do the waterpump and pipes if I were you. 12 years is a long time for seals, filters, rubbers and bushes to last- even for the best brands in the business.

These engines are known for their durability and if well looked after will serve you for a long time still- I would not stress about rebuilds and things right now. The Prado is really well built top to bottom- quality components and quality (read ‘over-‘) engineered parts which will stand you in good stead.

Make peace with the fuel bill, cracked dashboard, clockspring issues and fragile plastic key housings. The rest should be fine