Fuel from Gweta - Makgadikgadi - kubu

Default Fuel from Gweta - Makgadikgadi - kubu

I have some more questions about this trip. Especially now that only 3 weeks left to leave.
    The first one, I had to change part of the route for not having a reservation in CKGR, so we will do one night under the stars with Planet Baobab and another one in Kubu Island. The question is that we will fill the Toyota Hilux deposit (double deposit) in Nata to enter Nxai Pan for one night, then two nights in Khumaga Camp to see Makgadikgadi, then we will return through the north gate to go Planet Baobab and Kubu Island a Another night, the question is whether I will have enough fuel since I do not know if in Gweta I will be able to replace the fuel and the next fuel station is in Letlhakane if I am not mistaken. In total I have calculated about 580Km plus game drives, do you think I will have enough fuel for the entire route? I know that I have an autonomy of 1200Km + or -, but since there is a lot of sand the consumption is greater.
    The second, more than a doubt is advice, I would like to sleep one night before arriving in Johannesburg somewhere quiet two hours away from the airport, I will enter through Martin's Drift. I had thought about the area of ​​Mokolo Dam Nature Reserve or Marakele National Park. We do not need to see wildlife, just rest after 20 days of traveling through Botswana in a quiet place, and if it can be, it is not very expensive, .
    Last edited by Franba; 2019/08/17 at 09:49 AM.

Default Re: Fuel from Gweta - Makgadikgadi - kubu

Gweta fuel supply is very unreliable, you might as well leave it out of your plannings.

Thank you very much Pat n Wolf, I figured it could be like that. We will replenish in Nata sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Franba View Post
    Thank you very much Pat n Wolf, I figured it could be like that. We will replenish in Nata sure.
    I just got to kasane. I started in maun, went to khumaga campsite for two nights, did game drives along the boteti. When we left went to tree island for a lunch and then planet baobab for two nights (no own game drives while there). As we left planet baobab, we went to kubu via ntwetwe pan and missed the road which costed us three hours of extra driving before getting the right track to cross the pan. Then from kubu got to nata via northern route along the sua pan's edge.
    As we arrived in nata the second fuel tank started to lower. So from maun I can estimate that I did consume more or less 100l. So I'd say that if you fuel up in nata, that should be enough, but take in count about 120-30l consumption to be sure. Maybe you could get at least one jerry can with you?

I would suggest a jerry can too just be on the safe side.

Not sure which airport you are talking about but if it's O.R.Tambo then the sites you are intending to stay at are actually about 3 hours away. I suggest Matamba Bush Camp, https://www.matambabushcamp.com/. It's a very quiet spot, very nice facilities, campsites are well spread out. They have an overnight site that is more basic than the other sites where you must stay at least 2 nights. There are a few reviews on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkLO95Y5aA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmtrZW_RaVM

Thank you very much for the advice, I will consider it.

And one more question, which way is more interesting to get to Kubu, the one that starts in Gweta or the one that starts in Nata?

Quote Originally Posted by Franba View Post
    Thank you very much for the advice, I will consider it.

And one more question, which way is more interesting to get to Kubu, the one that starts in Gweta or the one that starts in Nata?
    Defenitly the one from gweta as it crosses the ntwetwe pan which is really something not to be missed. Make sure you travel with windows closed and aircon on...or else you'll coverd by dust from head to feet!
    Anyway you could go down from nata and then up via ntwetwe pan (or opposite). The road along the edge of sua pan is also enjoyable. Have a nice trip!

Thank you very much Nambots, I will consider the advice.