Caravan still on my name after selling





Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    33
    Posts
    141
    Thanked: 18

    Default Caravan still on my name after selling

    Hi

    Hope someone can help me

    Went to renew trailer and car licenses at post office. And the scamp I sold last year April, still on my name with outstanding license fees

    Contacted the buyer and he sold without ever doing change of ownership, assured it will be sorted by end of this week

    Got an hunch and just found the van on OLX advertised since 1st July already.

    Anything I can do?

    Advise I got is to pay up fees and give and affidavit that it was sold and transfer into Unknown.

    Other option apply for reprint, as it's still in my name. Pay outstanding fees And then scrap from enatis system. This takes 2 weeks though

    Both options going to have to pay up outstanding fees unfortunately.

    Anyone got other advise please let me know

    Baie dankie
    Last edited by Heino13; 2019/08/16 at 07:39 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    63
    Posts
    821
    Thanked: 271

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    Hi Heino
    Yup the only option is to pay outstanding fees surely you have the buyers id no and phone no to provide the authorities .And no you cant scrap a vehicle unless the fees are paid up and you have the original logbook .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,301
    Thanked: 1061

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    Not handing in the yellow form (I think) confirming change of ownership is going to cost you. If you can't get hold of the new owner to negotiate a deal in your favour, cut your losses, pay the outstanding license fees and scrap the vehicle.

    I assume that you still have the original registration papers (log book)? If not, you will spend a more school fees


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    pretoria
    Age
    51
    Posts
    271
    Thanked: 63

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    Go and get what is "lawfully " yours. I did it with a car my son sold.

    The " new" owner suddenly suddenly organize change of owner ship and register said vehicle/ trailer in theire name without problems.

    You have to be cruele to be kind. My point being go fetch and only give back on proof its not on your name. Sadly it works.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,613
    Thanked: 472

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    The lesson to learn here is that, as it states at 2 places on the top of the yellow "Change of Ownership" form, the seller must submit the yellow form after it has been completed and signed by both the seller and the buyer. If the seller does this, he will know that the vehicle is off his name. When and if the buyer submit the green form to register it on his name, is his problem. Fines and license fees after date of submission of the yellow form is also not the sellers problem.
    Last edited by Daniek; 2019/08/18 at 07:00 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    68
    Posts
    817
    Thanked: 399

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    Scrap it !!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    33
    Posts
    141
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    The lesson to learn here is that, as it states at 2 places on the top of the yellow "Change of Ownership" form, the seller must submit the yellow form after it has been completed and signed by both the seller and the buyer. If the seller does this, he will know that the vehicle is off his name. When and if the buyer submit the green form to register it on his name, is his problem. Fines and license fees after date of submission of the yellow form is also not the sellers problem.
    Never knew this

    Thanks. Will definitely do this in future

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heino13 For This Useful Post:


  9. #8
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    33
    Posts
    141
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    Thanks for all the replies
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Scrap it !!!!
    After I saw it for sale, I am with you on this

    Going tomorrow to pay everything, do affidavit, then get paperwork and scrap.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heino13 For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    15,527
    Thanked: 2973

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    I have no idea when it changed but in the past there was one form where both the buyer and seller signed, now you have the NCO (Notification Change of Ownership) that is the responsibility of the seller, the the RLV form which is the registration and licensing form, the RLV can only be handed in once the NCO is done.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    56
    Posts
    34,618
    Thanked: 9736

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    Our local office refuses to accept a new change of ownership (green form) without the yellow form also signed and attached.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Palm Lakes Estate, Umhlali
    Age
    69
    Posts
    125
    Thanked: 72

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    When I sold my 90 privately I remember completing a white form & handing it in which advised that the van has been sold & was no longer mine. This I think gave the buyer a certain amount of time to do the necessary.
    Cheers
    Graeme
    2010 Puma 2.4 110
    2014 Kuga 2.0 D Titanium
    4X4 Forum1089 & AG0047

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    68
    Posts
    817
    Thanked: 399

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    Quote Originally Posted by Heino13 View Post
    Hi

    Hope someone can help me

    Went to renew trailer and car licenses at post office. And the scamp I sold last year April, still on my name with outstanding license fees

    Contacted the buyer and he sold without ever doing change of ownership, assured it will be sorted by end of this week

    Got an hunch and just found the van on OLX advertised since 1st July already.

    Anything I can do?

    Advise I got is to pay up fees and give and affidavit that it was sold and transfer into Unknown.

    Other option apply for reprint, as it's still in my name. Pay outstanding fees And then scrap from enatis system. This takes 2 weeks though

    Both options going to have to pay up outstanding fees unfortunately.

    Anyone got other advise please let me know

    Baie dankie
    Scrap it and let them re register

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    43
    Posts
    34
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    Chris I agree with you, it happened to me when I wanted to renew licenses of my cars and I found out that the car is still under my names and fees where not paid which prevented me to renew mine. I went to the guy who bought it and threatened him that if you don't pay the fees before end of the week I will claim hat is lawfully belonged to me.within 2 hours he paid the fees and I was able to renew.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    43
    Posts
    34
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    Chris I agree with you, it happened to me when I wanted to renew licenses of my cars and I found out that the car is still under my names and fees where not paid which prevented me to renew mine. I went to the guy who bought it and threatened him that if you don't pay the fees before end of the week I will claim hat is lawfully belonged to me.within 2 hours he paid the fees and I was able to renew.

  18. #15
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Age
    43
    Posts
    403
    Thanked: 372

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    Quote Originally Posted by chris dippenaar View Post
    Go and get what is "lawfully " yours. I did it with a car my son sold.

    The " new" owner suddenly suddenly organize change of owner ship and register said vehicle/ trailer in theire name without problems.

    You have to be cruele to be kind. My point being go fetch and only give back on proof its not on your name. Sadly it works.
    It's for this reason that I'm very quick to re-register a vehicle in my name.

    This might be a tricky one, for various reasons, but you could also declare the vehicle/caravan stolen, because technically it is. You don't know where what is still yours is.

    I had this problem when I sold a car and only found out months later the vehicle was still in my name. The other problem I had was that I was outside the country. It was a near mission impossible, but I somehow managed to get it off my name from abroad, before the current disc expired, and with no outstanding fines.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/08/19 at 10:48 AM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

    Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    54
    Posts
    878
    Thanked: 664

    Default Re: Caravan still on my name after selling

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Our local office refuses to accept a new change of ownership (green form) without the yellow form also signed and attached.
    Welcome back.

    Same here in Centurion
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •