Lawn Care in the Cape

Default Lawn Care in the Cape

I live out in the northern suburbs, and have a wellpoint with adequate supply. Didn't drop supply in the driest of times during the last summer.

It's winter and I have put off the irrigation. But man this garden is overgrown with weeds.

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to lawn care, so i need some tips.

Lawn is mostly Kikuyu. When do I start to fertilize, or at what times of the year with what exactly? 4:1:1 / 3:2:1 or what?
    My soil is quite sandy and when it gets wet it becomes muddy. Which is why I have put of the irrigation as some areas are quite damp as they don't see much sun in the winter.

My dogs have also ran a racetrack around the house so there is only what slightly resembles some grass roots remaining.

I need some tips please? I bought some Lawntyl last week and sprayed the entire front garden first. Looks like some of the weeds are dying, then others look like they considered the Lawntyl fertilizer.

Thought I'd start the prepping before the summer comes
    Last edited by franshorn; 2019/08/16 at 07:17 AM.

Default Re: Lawn Care in the Cape

Free fertilizer....one bucket " night soil" topped up with water, thrown out every morning. Green patches soon spring through.
    Last edited by duncang; 2019/08/16 at 07:45 AM.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

In winter you want to keep the leaves short so that growth goes into the roots. Add nutrients to stimulate root growth down into the soil. Usually arount October, when the roots are well established, we do a very short cut and add a layer of good quality top soil. This removes the annual layer of dead grass (that grassy spunge). In summer add nutrients for leave growth.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Myself also fortunate to have good well point water. I buy "kraalmis " from Durbanville High School. You will see it stacked up when you go around the traffic circle at the school. Stop, load R20 a bag, phone Hilda 082 572 7260 and EFT. Fine kraalmis, no weeds works a treat.
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

My advice would be to go to your garden centre and buy a couple of trays of buffalo grass plugs. Kikuyu is horrible stuff. Plant the buffalo plugs at 30cm intervals inbetween the kikuyu and let it take over. Hard wearing, doesn't need much mowing, and nowhere near as invasive of flower beds as kikuyu. If you need to dress it with fertiliser, get some Bioganics lawn fertiliser and spread it before rain. I did hear that that wonderful product, Blade Runner is available again in South Africa (now made in Australia by the same people who make Bounce Back) and if you can get that, use it instead of Bioganics.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2019/08/18 at 06:29 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Thanks gents. Guess I should have given some root fertilizer earlier, but will give it a bash next weekend.

Will google a bit to see where I can get that Blade runner stuff and also add some buffalo grass plugs. Especially for the shady areas and High traffic areas.

I don't know about W Cape, but we had a good size patch in Winston Park years back. The lawns were all very kept, and in keeping up with the jones I decided it was time to take on the fight.

I went up to the gromor compost place up the road and spoke to the owner that was an Agric Eng by trade. He said that around spring you need to throw down some Gymsym, and Lime and then throw on some 2:3:2 and then top up with LAN which I think was 8:1:1.

I did say we had a big patch so I loaded the bakkie and trailer with many 50Kg bags of Lime, Gypsym and said fertiliser. Ran around doing my thing spreading all the stuff and looking like Casper the Ghost after a while.

That night I lay on the lounge floor. I couldn't move and needed Physio for around 4 days before I could start to perambulate again.

Bear in mind that this is just inland of Dbn and really is the last outpost of the last outpost with weather to match. The lawn started like Jack and beanstalk. I had a drive-on mower, but I literally had to mow wednesday after work and again on Saturday. If I missed the midweek, the lawn was so thick that the mower would just bog down and I would have to mow it all once on the highest setting and again on a lower setting.

The lawn looked awesome, but I calmed down a lot on the bits and pieces after that as it was high maintenance.

Apparently the gypsym was to break down the soil, sort of like going with one of those spike roller things into the lawn (which I also did - obviously) and then the lime was to restore the PH which was leached out by the amount of rain we had. Don't know if this regime would work in CT but beware the amount of mowing you will have to do!