Tips for possible Uganda/Kenya/Tanzania trip 2020 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tips for possible Uganda/Kenya/Tanzania trip 2020

Quote Originally Posted by DutchieGoingAfrica View Post
    Allright, I'm still alive and kicking.
    Bin some busy times but aftermovie and more trip reports of the Uganda trip will come soon.

For now also looking at Kenya trip for June/July.
    Some follow-up questions come to mind:

Do you expect lot of rain in Mara Triangle as well? Like Uganda, rain now and than or is it more full days of rain?

Any tips on campsites near Jinja? Found a good one in a thread somewhere but can't find it back, I think @Stan Weakly posted it.

Do I have to book in advance for the public campsites in the triangle? I emailed before but never got a reply.
    Thinking about spreading some nights around all the diff campsites.

Any supermarkets/butchers (meat/veggies)/fuel stations near Mara Triangle?

Thanks!
    Hello Dutchie and welcome back to the forum! I look forward to the continuation of your Ugandan trip report from last year.

As I said before, the weather in upcountry Kenya in June and July can be cold and grey. It may well still be raining up to June with the long rains. However, it ought not to rain every day in July although thunderstorms can happen any day. For instance, we had huge thunderstorms most evenings in the Mara in mid to late August 2019. Please see this for climate statistics. Click on the map for the Mara region and you will see the temperature and rainfall statistics. https://climateknowledgeportal.world...ata-historical

The highly recommended campsite near Jinja is The Haven. It is about 25 kms north of Jinja on the West Bank of the Nile. https://www.thehaven-uganda.com/

There is no system for booking public campsites in the Mara Triangle. You are likely to be the only campers in June and July. There is really no reason to camp in different campsites as the Mara is relatively small and everywhere can be reached in the Triangle in a day. There are three public campsites in the Triangle - one at Oloololo gate, and two near the Serena. It takes about 30 minutes to drive from Oloololo to the Serena. Private campsites are a different matter and I have posted about them before.

There are no supermarkets or butchers near the Mara Triangle. The nearest are in Narok about four hours drive away. Outside the Oloololo gate at Mara Rianta, there are small dukas and possibly you could buy some onions, tomatoes and potatoes. You COULD, if you are very brave, buy a live goat and get it slaughtered - or risk some fly-blown meat from a kiosk. However, this is Maasai country and the Maasai don’t eat meat ordinarily. There is a small shop attached to the staff quarters at the Mara Serena Lodge and there you can buy some basics like oil, sugar, flour, biscuits, water, toilet paper, salt, Cokes etc, and maize meal. You can buy beer at small shops outside the Oloololo gate or, I think, at the Mara Serena staff shop.

Fuel is available at the Mara Serena Lodge, but the generator for pumping is only on around lunchtime and again in the late afternoon. I don’t know about fuel at Mara Rianta, but I think there is likely to some there although not necessarily in a fuel station like you are used to!

My advice is to go equipped with everything you need to eat and drink before entering the Mara.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/01/07 at 05:31 PM.

Bin some busy times but aftermovie and more trip reports of the Uganda trip will come soon.

Any tips on campsites near Jinja? Found a good one in a thread somewhere but can't find it back, I think @Stan Weakly posted it.

Yup, the Haven.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Dutchie

I know you say that this planned visit to Kenya is only a reconnaissance trip, but I want you to be aware that it is illegal for you to guide a commercial trip into Kenya without the relevant licensing and work permit. I would hazard a guess that the same applies for Uganda.

Just saying, so as you know...
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/01/09 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Dutchie

I know you say that this planned visit to Kenya is only a reconnaissance trip, but I want you to be aware that it is illegal for you to guide a commercial trip into Kenya without the relevant licensing and work permit. I would hazard a guess that the same applies for Uganda.

Just saying, so as you know...
    Thanks for the tip. This trip is a holiday trip with my girlfriend.
    For Uganda I work together with a local licensed tour operator.

I'll try and make an itinerary tomorrow. With your suggested campsites.
    The weather is a thingy, but I'm in there in June so thought about traveling to Kenya. Otherwise I would fly to Zimbabwe but I think it's a waste of money since I'm already in East Africa. Tanzania is too high on vehicle entrances fees from Uganda (allthough I might look into it)

Serena fuel station has diesel & petrol?

Thank you all for the big help, really appreciate it!!!!!!

I'll try and make an itinerary tomorrow. With your suggested campsites.
    The weather is a thingy, but I'm in there in June so thought about traveling to Kenya. Otherwise I would fly to Zimbabwe but I think it's a waste of money since I'm already in East Africa. Tanzania is too high on vehicle entrances fees from Uganda (allthough I might look into it)

Serena fuel station has diesel & petrol?

Thank you all for the big help, really appreciate it!!!!!!
    High altitude Kenya in June is warmer than southern Africa in June. It is, after all, on the equator. Northern Tanzania is the same as Kenya in June.

The Serena certainly has diesel. I didn’t look at their pumps last August as to whether they had petrol too, but they probably do. Or, as in most places in Africa, a plan can be made by asking the attendants.

Looking forward to the continuation of your Ugandan trip report.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2