Tips for possible Uganda/Kenya/Tanzania trip 2020

Default Tips for possible Uganda/Kenya/Tanzania trip 2020

Hi all!

After all your great tips for our Uganda trip coming September, I'm again seeking wisdom.

For 2020 I'm thinking about a 3-4 week trip from Uganda to Kenya (I wanted to include Tanzania as well, but I see they ask 150USD/day for a foreign vehicle.

The following parks I had in mind so far: Kidepo, Mara, Mara Triangle, Lake Nakuru, Samburu? Ol Pejeta? further?

But as you know the East Africa forum is not so hot as Botswana for example so read some trip reports but thought it would be great to ask the pros!
    I'm also read all Ortelius's trip reports on the safaribug website.

What would your itinerary be?
    It would probable be May/June or June/July.

I'm hosting a photo safari in June for 2 weeks(Uganda) so I'm trying to fit this before or after (boss likes that more).

For the Uganda trip coming Sept I will definitely write a trip report with some photos, for the future travellers to benefit and to thank you all for your valuable input.

Have a great day!
    Stefan
    Last edited by DutchieGoingAfrica; 2019/08/16 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Tanzania charges to much :'(

Default Tips Uganda/Kenya

Hi All!

UPDATE:
    It's gonna be a 4 week trip mid June until mid July.
    Before the trip I have a 15 day trip in Uganda so I think it would be nice to spend the majority of the time in Kenya, although Kidepo/Murchison could be on the list. (Long drive, but might be worth it to show Swambo)

I think it's still to early for the Great Migration half June but if we're lucky we could see some action.
    Spending 2-3 weeks in Mara might be a bit to much of the same? So what camps would you recommend?
    Let's say the majority in Mara and some other stuff. I don't mind driving quite a bit.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Default Re: Tips for possible Uganda/Kenya/Tanzania trip 2020

subscribed (have never been there so can't comment)

Default Tips for possible Kenya trip 2020

Hi Guys
    Has anyone driven around in Southern and Central Kenya. Appreciate comments

Fly into Nairobi
    Pick Toyota Rav 2x 4
    Day 1. Drive to Mount Kenya National Park, Stay in Hotel
    Day 2. Mount Kenya National Park
    Day.3 Drive to Aberdare National Park Stay at The Ark
    Day 4 .The Ark
    Day 5 .Drive to Lake Nakuru
    Day 6 .Drive to Lake Naivasha
    Day 7. Lake Naivasha
    Day 8. Drive to Maji Moto near Masai Mara
    Day 9. Maji Moto
    Day 10. Maji Moto
    Day 11. Maji Moto
    Day 12 .drive to Nairobi and fly out
    Is this strip do-able with self drive
    If I stay in a camp in Maji Moto and drive around ,will I be able to see the large herds
    Want to see Game and birds
    My times are flexible

Hi, Howie

First of all, I hope Dutchie will not consider this as a hijack of his thread. Maybe it would be better if you would start your own new thread.

Second, by far the most expert opinion here you might get from Wazungu Wawili - she really knows these parts of Kenya as a back of her hand.

I can only share my opinion based on very limited experience from two Kenya trips. I have not (yet) been to some of the places you intend to visit (Aberdares, lake Naivasha, ...), but I can tell you that you might have problems with driving Rav4 2x4 to Masai Mara. I know that some rental agencies (including Roadtrip Kenya, from whom I've rented twice) don't allow their Rav4 fleet into Mara. The access roads to the park are often in such a poor state that that you really need a true 4x4 beast, like Land Cruiser or Land Rover, to cope with them.

I see that Maji Moto camp is about 20 km outside Sekenani gate. I would be sceptical about how much wildlife you would be able to see right from the camp. We stayed twice just outside Sekenani gate (Oldarpoi Campsite) and we never saw a single wild animal there. Only goats, cows and donkeys. Only after few kilometers inside the park, the true wildlife started to appear in large quantities. I assume this might also vary very much based on time of the year, but I would still be skeptical about rich wildlife encounters right out of this camp. I think you would still be forced to make some game drives into the park. For that, Rav4 might be OK if you only stay on few main gravel roads, which are generally OK. But don't be tempted to venture anywhere off those main roads, you might get seriously stuck. If budget permits, I think it would be wiser to arrange guided game drive with the camp, in their own vehicle.

My 2 cents.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Hey all!

No problem with the comments, gives everyone more info. I’ve send Wazungu a pm. Hope she can help out a bit.

@Ortelius, if you could spend 10-14 days in the Mara, what campsites would you use? From what I’ve seen Oloololo looks very promising. Any recommendations? Other parks in the vicinity?

Cheers!

Dutchie,

We always (for various reasons) stayed in public campsites in Mara. In eastern part, we stayed at Sand River, which, unfortunately is not functional any more. In fact, AFAIK, they banned all camping in Mara Reserve (part of the park east of Mara river). If that ban is still in place, then your only option for camping is in Mara Triangle. There, they have three public campsites and around 10 "special campsites". We always stayed in Oloololo public campsite in Triangle. But for such a long period and with good camping equipment that enable you total self sufficiency, definitely look at special campsites, particularly those on the banks of Mara river. You can find more info on their website. http://marabookings.co.ke/ , https://www.maratriangle.org/home

As for the other parks in the vicinity - well, none of them is really close to Mara. The closest ones are Lake Naivasha, Lake Nakuru and Aberdares. But they are still half day to whole day drive away from Mara.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DutchieGoingAfrica View Post
    Hey all!

No problem with the comments, gives everyone more info. I’ve send Wazungu a pm. Hope she can help out a bit.

@Ortelius, if you could spend 10-14 days in the Mara, what campsites would you use? From what I’ve seen Oloololo looks very promising. Any recommendations? Other parks in the vicinity?

Cheers!
    We also stayed at Eluai public campsite in the Mara. It was formerly a special campsite, but is now a public campsite. A little hard to find and no facilities at all, but a great view! There is also Serena Public Campsite right near Eluai, which has basic ablutions and is in the trees (more shade than Eluai, which has no shade), but Serena wasn't attractive to us.

Just more options for you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

We also liked Eluai although it has no facilities to speak of, fortunately we were completely self-sufficient. It also has virtually no shade. The big advantage at this pubic campsite in the Mara Triangle, is that it is situated high on a hill, with an outstanding view onto sections of the Mara River. If you are there at the time of the migration river crossings, you can monitor from camp to see when these are imminent.

Eluai is located at S1° 23.788' E35° 00.234' and is on Tracks4Africa. The campsite turnoff is not signposted but the tracks will be found if carefully searched for, as they leave the road towards the Mara Serena Lodge, before the lodge airfield on the right as you head east towards the lodge. The turnoff is to the left a few hundred meters before the air field.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

I am currently camping on the banks of the Mara river in a private campsite. I will reply to Dutchie when we return to Nairobi. But Dutchie needs to look at the climate for Kenya as June and July are cold and grey in upcountry Kenya.

However, the posts on this thread by Howie ought to be moved to a new thread on the Kenya section of the forum. I will then reply.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Hey all!

The feedback is greatly appreciated!
    @Wazungu; I hope you of a great time! I was already thinking you might be out in the wild! Epic, enjoy!

The climate is OK'ish it seems? According to SafariNow: "There can be rain still around in June, but overall it is sunny and dry. Afternoon temperatures reach an agreeable 25°C/77°F, but the cold can hang around in the evenings and early mornings when temperatures of around 12°C/54°F are common."
    Looks a bit similar to our April 19 trip to Botswana.

I was thinking about Zim before but I'm in Uganda in week 2/3 of June to host a photographic safari, so I thought it would be a good idea to move from Entebbe towards the Mara and vicinity. So when Swambo meets up after the Uganda trip, I might go to Murchison and afterwards Kenya, we want to spend the majority of the time in the Mara (After research Naivasha and Aberdare didn't really 'caught' me yet). We actually dont mind driving but Ol Pejeta could be too far?

1. Does anyone has any clue how long it would take me from Entebbe to Lake Nakuru?
    2. How long will it take me from Mara Triangle to Entebbe? (stop over around Jinja?)
    3. How long would you stay at Lake Nakuru? (tips on campsites)
    4. Would 12 days be too much in Mara? (I want to go to the Mara at the end of the trip for highest chance on a crossing)

Again, thanks for all the great help and Wazungu, have a great trip and safe journey back home.

1. Does anyone has any clue how long it would take me from Entebbe to Lake Nakuru?
    T4A says 7 hours 30 minutes. Add some time for border crossing. So, it might probably be done in one day, but at more leisure speed, a day and a half would be safer bet.

For campsite, definitely Makalia Falls Campsite inside park, on its southern border. We spent only one night there, which was too short. But as it is a relatively small park, two or three nights would be sufficient enough, IMHO.
    Last edited by ortelius; 2019/08/30 at 11:43 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Hey all!

The climate is OK'ish it seems? According to SafariNow: "There can be rain still around in June, but overall it is sunny and dry. Afternoon temperatures reach an agreeable 25°C/77°F, but the cold can hang around in the evenings and early mornings when temperatures of around 12°C/54°F are common."
    I believe this will stand for Mara, but keep in mind what WW has pointed out before, about the weather on upcountry Kenya.

I was thinking about Zim before but I'm in Uganda in week 2/3 of June to host a photographic safari, so I thought it would be a good idea to move from Entebbe towards the Mara and vicinity. So when Swambo meets up after the Uganda trip, I might go to Murchison and afterwards Kenya, we want to spend the majority of the time in the Mara (After research Naivasha and Aberdare didn't really 'caught' me yet). We actually dont mind driving but Ol Pejeta could be too far?

2. How long will it take me from Mara Triangle to Entebbe? (stop over around Jinja?)
    4. Would 12 days be too much in Mara? (I want to go to the Mara at the end of the trip for highest chance on a crossing)
    Time is never enough in The Mara. You will not regret it.
    Last edited by apfac; 2019/09/02 at 10:14 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

I can assure you that June and July are cold and grey in high altitude Kenya. Nairobi, the Kikuyu highlands, the Laikipia, the Aberdares, and around Mt Kenya are blanketed in grey cloud during these months. You have to remember that altitude plays a big factor in the Kenyan climate. Even the Mara is at an altitude of 1500 - 2180 metres above sea level. The rains can also extend into June (as they did this year). There is no comparison to Botswana.

Again, thanks for all the great help and Wazungu, have a great trip and safe journey back home.
    Entebbe to Lake Nakuru is a long way. I would do it over two days spending a night near Jinja. Please remember that the road is very busy with big trucks coming from Mombasa to Uganda, Rwanda and the DRC and back again.

From the Mara Triangle to Entebbe is a long old way. I would do it over two to three days. The Mara Triangle to Kisumu (if you know the back routes) is about six hours. Then Kisumu to the Busia border crossing is another two hours. Border crossings can take a long time. Say, two hours, then Busia to Jinja another two to three hours. And this is equatorial Africa with 12 hours daylight.

As ortelius has already said, Lake Nakuru National Park is small in East African terms. Two nights, one day. Makalia Falls campsite.

So long as you recognise that the migration may not have arrived in the Mara in June, and so long as you are ready and willing to pay what are the real costs of conservation, then 12 days is not too long. But the Mara is a wonderful place at any time of the year. It is quintessential Africa.

I note that your Ugandan and Kenyan trips are commercial ventures. Please send your postal address and I will send my invoice for consultancy services...
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2019/09/02 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    ........I note that your Ugandan and Kenyan trips are commercial ventures. Please send your postal address and I will send my invoice for consultancy services...
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    T4A says 7 hours 30 minutes. Add some time for border crossing. So, it might probably be done in one day, but at more leisure speed, a day and a half would be safer bet.

For campsite, definitely Makalia Falls Campsite inside park, on its southern border. We spent only one night there, which was too short. But as it is a relatively small park, two or three nights would be sufficient enough, IMHO.
    Than I will take 2-3 days to go from Entebbe towards Lake Nakuru. Jinja and after that some accommodation cross border. Any recommendations past the Kenyan border would be great. Can't find to much online.... hotels also fine.

I see two main routes, which one would you take? Scenic/quiet;
    Tororo/Bungoma/Eldoret (MALABA border crossing)
    Kisumo (BUSIA border crossing) (this one I guess? Didn't see Wazungu's reply before.

2 nights at Makalia Falls and from there towards the Mara.
    Have to see how I spread my campsites there. Is it good choice to spend most of the days at Oloololo?
    Last edited by DutchieGoingAfrica; 2019/09/02 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I can assure you that June and July are cold and grey in high altitude Kenya. Nairobi, the Kikuyu highlands, the Laikipia, the Aberdares, and around Mt Kenya are blanketed in grey cloud during these months. You have to remember that altitude plays a big factor in the Kenyan climate. Even the Mara is at an altitude of 1500 - 2180 metres above sea level. The rains can also extend into June (as they did this year). There is no comparison to Botswana.
    I will see after the coming Uganda trip this September which parks I want to vist again, I can always do those first, than move towards Kenya. I only have 1 half day in Lake Mburo NP so want to spend some time there, and maybe QE/Kibale/MF. From there towards Nakuru/Mara and back. Thanks for the great tip about the weather, would've never thought about that.

Entebbe to Lake Nakuru is a long way. I would do it over two days spending a night near Jinja. Please remember that the road is very busy with big trucks coming from Mombasa to Uganda, Rwanda and the DRC and back again.
    I will look into it, thanks, I think I saw something about a great campsite in Mr Weakleys reports. Near Falls. Again, tips appreciated!

From the Mara Triangle to Entebbe is a long old way. I would do it over two to three days. The Mara Triangle to Kisumu (if you know the back routes) is about six hours. Then Kisumu to the Busia border crossing is another two hours. Border crossings can take a long time. Say, two hours, then Busia to Jinja another two to three hours. And this is equatorial Africa with 12 hours daylight.
    I will take the time, three days to be safe, Busia crossing it is.

As ortelius has already said, Lake Nakuru National Park is small in East African terms. Two nights, one day. Makalia Falls campsite.
    Noted, thanks!

So long as you recognise that the migration may not have arrived in the Mara in June, and so long as you are ready and willing to pay what are the real costs of conservation, then 12 days is not too long. But the Mara is a wonderful place at any time of the year. It is quintessential Africa.
    No problem, it's definitely more than Uganda, but I know the money is well spend. Conservation is crazy expensive. So will do around 12-14 days I think. Do I book in advance or? Necessary?

I note that your Ugandan and Kenyan trips are commercial ventures. Please send your postal address and I will send my invoice for consultancy services...
    Only Uganda is commercial (but nearly non profit, covers my own expenses) haha. Kenya is holiday!!
    Did you enjoy your trip? Good crossings?

I will create a itinerary after my Sept trip. Will post some pictures about that trip also with a small trip report.
    This forum is gold! Baie dankie! Asante!
    Last edited by DutchieGoingAfrica; 2019/09/02 at 11:57 PM.

Will post some pictures about that trip also with a small trip report.
    This forum is gold! Baie dankie! Asante!
    Decent updates and trip reports are also gold for forum members, both in engendering interest and for those planning such a trip. Thus, those willing to spend time and effort in giving advice and sharing their knowledge, expect decent feedback. Should this expectation not be fulfilled unfortunately, one should not be surprised if advice begins to dry up.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Decent updates and trip reports are also gold for forum members, both in engendering interest and for those planning such a trip. Thus, those willing to spend time and effort in giving advice and sharing their knowledge, expect decent feedback. Should this expectation not be fulfilled unfortunately, one should not be surprised if advice begins to dry up.
    I agree. I enjoy reading trip reports just to re-live the moment. Will def contribute!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DutchieGoingAfrica For This Useful Post: