Route from Palapye to Maun

Post Route from Palapye to Maun

Hi everyone,

Next month we have a Botswana trip planned - really looking forward to it!

It's been a while since we've been there so I have a question about the present state of the tar roads, more specifically the route from Palapye to Maun.
    Normally, from Palapye I would choose the A1 north to Francistown/Nata and then take the A3 west to Maun (according to Tracks for Africa 660 km/7h drivetime).
    We've driven these roads a couple of times in the past and the tar roads were pretty decent back then.

But Tracks for Africa suggests another route: from Palapye the A14 northwest towards Letlhakane, and then the B300 to Maun (T4A: 600 km/6h30 drivetime).
    I'm not familiar with this route, but if I look at the graphics in T4A it seems a less straightforward route than the A1/A3 option.

If the A1 and A3 are in good condition, I'm inclined to take that route, unless the other route is very scenic of course

Can any of you give me advice about this dilemma ?
    Looking forward to your replies!

Cheers,
    Martin.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy 8)

Default Re: Route from Palapye to Maun

Hi Martin
    In March we travelled the route via Lethlakane / Orapa / Rakops etc, and it was in very good condition, and quiet. However, when we joined the Francestown / Nata road we encountered a badly potholed road to Maun, but there were contractors working on that stretch, so I assume that the work is ongoing. I would use the road recommended by T4A.
    Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
    Echo 4 Off-Road Trailer
    Gemini 505 S/Rigid
    Ford Ranger T6 S/C 4x2

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack B For This Useful Post:

Martin under current road conditions I suggest that you take the road via Letlhakane.

The route via Francistown will take you longer (many speed traps and 60/80 kmph sections with lots of traffic). The tar road from Francistown to Nata and then to Gweta is not in a good condition. The bad portion referred to by Jack is inevitable whichever route you take. But at least they are working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by marelm View Post

But Tracks for Africa suggests another route: from Palapye the A14 northwest towards Letlhakane, and then the B300 to Maun (T4A: 600 km/6h30 drivetime).
    This route is absolutely fine. I would not go via Francistown.

Then of course you can enter Botswana via Lobatse and go up the west side via the Trans Kalahari highway, via Kang and Ghanzi. Still the best route from SA to Maun in my opinion.

But your question is from Palapye to Maun, so maybe there is a reason why you end up in Palapye.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/08/16 at 08:50 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by marelm View Post
    Hi everyone,

Next month we have a Botswana trip planned - really looking forward to it!

It's been a while since we've been there so I have a question about the present state of the tar roads, more specifically the route from Palapye to Maun.
    Normally, from Palapye I would choose the A1 north to Francistown/Nata and then take the A3 west to Maun (according to Tracks for Africa 660 km/7h drivetime).
    We've driven these roads a couple of times in the past and the tar roads were pretty decent back then.

I'm not familiar with this route, but if I look at the graphics in T4A it seems a less straightforward route than the A1/A3 option.

If the A1 and A3 are in good condition, I'm inclined to take that route, unless the other route is very scenic of course

Can any of you give me advice about this dilemma ?
    Looking forward to your replies!

Cheers,
    Martin.
    Putting road conditions aside, driving Palapye-Francistown-Nata-Maun is very long. The shortest is going through Letlhakane and Motopi. The difference in Kilometres is a very significant number.

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

Thumbs up Re: Route from Palapye to Maun

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post

But your question is from Palapye to Maun, so maybe there is a reason why you end up in Palapye.
    Yep, made a booking for a guesthouse there.

Thanks a lot for all your replies, this makes it a lot easier for me: I'll take the route that's suggested by T4A and recommended by all of you

Thanks again!
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy 8)