Gauteng to Weskus road trip advice

Default Gauteng to Weskus road trip advice

Hi there forum members.
    I was wondering if anyone can give some advice, reccomendations or maybe a trip report to help us plan our December trip.

It will be our 1st trip like this so seriously need some help

We are looking at 13 to 14 nights in total for this trip.

It will be 2 vehicles, Hilux 4x4 V6 auto with Bush Lapa Ratel (will be our first trip like this) and a Terracan with Afrispoor trailer (also first trip like this)
    We are planning to leave JHB on the 26th of December with one night stopover onroute to Kwass se Baai, or similar camping sites in that area. Looking for some challenging driving (not to the extreme though). To spend 2 days there.

Then head towards Cederberg to spend 3 or 4 nights there. Don't know where to camp there yet.

Then towards Tankwa Karoo National park for 3 nights, again no idea as yet where to camp there.

Then Karoo national park for 2 nights onroute back to JHB.

Any suggestions as to where to stay, what to look out for, booking agencies and hazards perhaps would be highly appreciated.

We will be 4 adults and 3 little girls age 7, 8 and 10.

This will be our first trip with the offroad caravan setup and will be self sufficient regarding water, fuel and ablution. But totally rookie in this department and will appreciate any help and advice.

Looking at some roads less travelled, gravel, some 4X4'ing and a bit of adventure but obviously not THAT extreme with the ladies joining us.
    Will a trip like this be possible in December? Any other suggestions as to our 1st trip to make it an unforgettable experience for everybody?

Thank you in advance. I know there will be a lot of ideas and plans flying around shortly to assist us with our planning of our 1st of-the-grip trip.
    Stefan

2018 Toyota Hilux V6 auto 4X4 double cab with a few extra's
    2019 Bush Lapa Ratel 4
    2019 BMW X1 M-Sport 2.0D (Swambo platkar)
    2018 Toyota Etios Sprint (daily platkar drive)
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 auto 4X4 double cab - sold
    2016 Volvo V40 D4 Geartronic - sold
    2008 Gypsey Gold Caravan - sold

Default Re: Gauteng to Weskus road trip advice

Hi

We stayed in Namaqua National park for the first time in December last year and enjoyed it a lot. I would suggest staying there 3 nights especially after the long drive.

Going down you can perhaps look at Augrabies for an overnight stop. Even Klein pella although that might be a stretch.

In Cederberg although we did not stay there Algeria looked nice, go on the Cape Nature web page.

Not sure what the availability is but would suggest you book quickly especially for Namaqua nd Cederberg

Depending on how set you are on your trip itinerary, I suggest the following:

1. Namaqua NP - Consider staying 2 nights if you haven't been there before. Consider Augrabies as mentioned above as a stop over.
    2. Tankwa Karoo NP - MUST HAVE SPARE TYRES for Tankwa Karoo. Langkloof is a really nice site. Quite isolated with only two camping spots adjacent to each other and exclusive bathroom and kitchen for each one with gas geyser and parafin lamps, no electricity. The kloof can get windy quite unexpectedly. I repeat MUST HAVE SPARE TYRES for Tankwa Karoo the slate stones are sharp and famous for wrecking tyres, I have first hand experience and many people we spoke to there had lost at least a tyre.

We've stayed at De Pak Huys just beyond Clan William which is nice but perhaps not for camping with a Bush Lapa Ratel but worth a look. We had problems with the booking though which we did through Safari Now. The booking was confirmed months earlier but when we got there we were not on the site list. Almost a disaster but owners made a plan.

Have not done Karoo NP, so cannot comment from personal experience.

Hope this is of some help.
    Last edited by Absie; 2019/08/14 at 06:02 PM.

Stefan, we've camped here before in the Biedouw Valley, HIGHLY recommended:

Enjo Farm:

https://www.soulcountry.info/cederbe...g-camping.html
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2019/08/14 at 06:16 PM.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Thank you all for the advice already received. Making notes as the replies comes in and will surely book our trip according to all the advice.
    Will do a proper reply tomorrow when i get to my pc, typing on this phone will drive a person to alchohol

I recon we will have to start booking these places else it would be fully booked for December.
    Stefan

2019 Bush Lapa Ratel 4

Hi there.
    So, we checked some spots for the trip and so far this is what we came up with
    Will this be doable if we are 2 vehicles both towing, or maybe just one vehicle if our friends cant join us for the trip?

26 December - Leave JHB to Riemvasmaak hot springs or Khankiri
    - 890km = 10 hours
    - 2 nights camping

28 December - Riemvasmaak to Namaqua NP Delwerskamp or Varswater or Bouldersbaai
    - 510km = 6 hours
    - 3 nights camping

31 December - Namaqua NP to Cederberg Algeria or De Pakhuys
    - 350km = 5 hours
    - 3 nights

3 January - Cederberg to Kaggakamma Swartrug
    - 101km = 3 hours
    - 2 nights camping

5 January - Kaggakamma to Secret Falls
    - 150km = 3 hours
    - 2 nights camping

7 January - Secret Falls to Tankwa NP Langkloof or Perdekloof
    - 230km = 4 hours
    - 2 nights camping

9 January - Tankwa to Karoo NP Main Rest Camp Chalets
    - 370km = 5 hours
    - 2 nights in Chalets

11 January - Karoo NP to JHB
    - 950km = 11 hours

Any other ideas or alternatives that we might be missing for the trip or advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanx for all the advice already received. Make ones life a bit easier to get info from forum members that actually know how to plan a trip like this and what to look out for

Myself and Swambo are very excited to do this type of trips in the future but damn, this is totally different than to just book one camping site for 14 nights and you're done.
    Stefan

2019 Bush Lapa Ratel 4

You are going to be disappointed with Riemvasmaak - the place has been neglected the last few years. Getting up to Secret Falls with a large rig will not be easy and the space at the top is very limited for a large off-road caravan.
    Secret Falls is one of the best camping spots I have been to and is highly recommended - I would discuss the access road with the owner before I attempt to take the BL up there.
    There are other good camping in the Cederberg is Algeria is full (Driehoek, Sanddrif, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Nightjar View Post
    You are going to be disappointed with Riemvasmaak - the place has been neglected the last few years. Getting up to Secret Falls with a large rig will not be easy and the space at the top is very limited for a large off-road caravan.
    Secret Falls is one of the best camping spots I have been to and is highly recommended - I would discuss the access road with the owner before I attempt to take the BL up there.
    There are other good camping in the Cederberg is Algeria is full (Driehoek, Sanddrif, etc.).
    Thank you for the advice.
    Also thought that Secret Falls might be a tough call with a heavy BL. Will have to speak to the owner when making the booking.
    Also heard about Riemvasmaak being neglected. The thing is, Swambo's parents been there and also to Secret Falls so it is one of the bucket list things Will see how I can convince her for alternatives and make it our own.

Thank you for the advice.
    Stefan

2019 Bush Lapa Ratel 4