MediaRelease: Rhodes passes

Thread: Rhodes passes

Default Rhodes passes

Hi there,

Im looking to do the mountain passes in the eastern cape region in September Holidays.

Do i have any pointers coming from JHB, what passes to tackle, where to sleep and how long the itinarary must be etc etc...

Like those who did it...

Any itenary or plans to share with me?

Goofster

Default Re: Rhodes passes

A week is enough. Take your fly rods with you.

I would base myself in Rhodes. You can make it from Joburg in a day, but it's a long drive. I often sleep over in Smithfield as it makes the next day decent. Get hold of Rhodes Tourist info and they'll give you great advice.

Over Naude's Nek to Maclear and spend a night there to come back via the Bastervoetpad (Lapa Munnik) and then back to Rhodes. It can be a hectic drive.

One day, pop up to Tena Head and then do the patrol road along to Tiffendel and then come back via Wartrail. Beautiful drive.

Chat to the locals about conditions - a beer at Walkerbouts Inn will get you a lot of info.

There are more passes around there - so decide how much time and driving you want to do. Did I mention, if you like fly fishing - take some time for that.
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by goofy50 View Post
    Hi there,

Im looking to do the mountain passes in the eastern cape region in September Holidays.

Do i have any pointers coming from JHB, what passes to tackle, where to sleep and how long the itinarary must be etc etc...

Like those who did it...

Any itenary or plans to share with me?

Goofster
    Hi.

See hyperlink for trip report

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ountain-passes
    Paul.

Google "BEN 10" it is a challenge that was put together by the guys from Mountainpasses as per above links.

If you have time on your hands start from KZN side. You can travel dirt roads from Bergville to Himeville and then enter Rhodes from MaClear side via Naude's Nek pass. On your way back home you can go through the Freestate via Lundeans Nek or Jouberts passes.

Thanks guys, another question, do u do bookings or just drive and see where to overnight?

Off course il have waypoints and some directions...but would u rather book now and follow the scedule, or see there which passes each day to do and find accomodations according this?

September might be quiet in Rhodes, but I would phone ahead anyway in the morning, just in case. We generally avoid bookings as much as possible, we prefer to just wing it.

A few years ago Swambo and I came over Naude's Nek late and arrived in Rhodes after dark. We had no booking, but I knew Walkerbouts, so we went there. All they had available was 'Rose Cottage', directly across from the cop shop. I think we paid R550/night for a self catering family sized place, for the 2 of us. It was a proper cottage. Electric blankets, bath tub, free wood. We ended up staying 5 days. Love that area. I worked a season at Tiff many years ago......I grew another liver

Does anyone know whats happening with The Rhodes Hotel?
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/08/14 at 03:57 PM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Does anyone know whats happening with The Rhodes Hotel?
    I was there in January. Still nothing as far as I'm aware. It's a pity.
    Gavin

So if i decide to take Rhodes as my base, i can do all the passes(or most of it)? Do all basses have circular routes that ends back at Rhodes? Dumb question...i know

Just investigating my options...id also like to stay over at tiffendel high up there...

And off course ive read about bastervoet pass...i very much like to tackle it...it as bad as it sounds?

Goofster

First observation Rhodes passes , thought Jonty Rhodes had died
    2003 Jeep KJ 2.5 CRD

Quote Originally Posted by goofy50 View Post
    So if i decide to take Rhodes as my base, i can do all the passes(or most of it)? Do all basses have circular routes that ends back at Rhodes? Dumb question...i know

Just investigating my options...id also like to stay over at tiffendel high up there...

And off course ive read about bastervoet pass...i very much like to tackle it...it as bad as it sounds?

Goofster
    Yes - it is. If you go from Rhodes to Maclear and do Naude's Nek and Bastervoetpad - it's a helluva long day and you don't want to do that it the dark!

You can stay in Rhodes and do a lot of it, but change your home route when you leave. Not sure I would choose Tiffendel to stay at - unless it's had snow and you want to get some skiing in.
    Last edited by gavpike; 2019/08/14 at 04:10 PM.
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by gavpike View Post
    Yes - it is. If you go from Rhodes to Maclear and do Naude's Nek and Bastervoetpad - it's a helluva long day and you don't want to do that it the dark!

You can stay in Rhodes and do a lot of it, but change your home route when you leave. Not sure I would choose Tiffendel to stay at - unless it's had snow and you want to get some skiing in.
    As I say, we did Naude's Nek in the dark, primarily because we don't plan well enough all the time. If anyone knows anything about Defender headlights, you would probably be better off holding a cigarette lighter out the window. We had never done it before, so I think we missed out. With that said, you might want to do it during daylight hours.

I think Tiff closes end August, regardless of how much snow remains. You can still drive up there in September to have a look, but I think the resort would be deserted. They get going again later in the spring for summer activities, such as grass skiing, no jokes.

Btw, we were in Rhodes at the hight of load shedding. Power was off for such long periods that the one and only cell mast lost battery power and we were cut off from the rest of the world. It was bliss.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/08/14 at 04:26 PM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

I have been in this area many times. Plenty passes that can keep you busy. My 2 last trips can be seen in these posts:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...highlight=Cape
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ighlight=naude