Gatvol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gatvol

Angry Gatvol

Hi all

I bought a 2004 4.0 V6 Prado in Durban, blew the head gasket on the way home to Underberg KZN, private deal no recourse - bought a used low mileage motor from Jap Auto, new water pump radiator water pipes etc and installed by proper mechanic R80K, drove to George and blew the damn thing again in Graaf Reinette. Anyway long story short I've hired a storage unit in George where the Prado now lives.
    Does anyone on the forum know of any persons in George who may want to buy my headache - R70K and it's theirs with an extra motor that is here in Underberg - I have a friend in George who has the keys to the unit who will show the vehicle - unfortunately no Pics
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Defender 110 Tdi County
    1990 Honda 750 Africa Twin
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered:
    "Man, because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices his money to recuperate his health. Then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present, the result being that he does not live in the present or the future, he lives as if he is never going to die. Then dies having never really lived"

Default Re: Gatvol

Ouch

Sorry to read this, Man
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Ouch

Sorry to read this, Man
    Thanks Petri just life man - How's this the most reliable car I now own is my 1998 Landy LOL
    "Man, because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices his money to recuperate his health. Then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present, the result being that he does not live in the present or the future, he lives as if he is never going to die. Then dies having never really lived"

4 or 5 sp ?
    UZJ 42 LX: Olive (Sold)
    HDJ 75 RV Troopy

I am a bit confused. The 2004 Prado VX is rated as a 4spd auto. But it feels as if there are 5 distinct gears

Put it this way at 140km/h the revs are about 2700
    Last edited by Mikey Mike; 2019/08/14 at 01:12 PM. Reason: more info

Second engine also a blown head gasket?
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Seems that way - not prepared to investigate further, or spend a cent more on the vehicle

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikey Mike For This Useful Post:

Besides the mechanical issues I've dealt with I also fitted new Goodrich AT'S R20K, 2front wheel bearings, two Emu front shocks R7.5K and upper and lower control arm bushes
    Last edited by Mikey Mike; 2019/08/14 at 01:37 PM. Reason: syntax

How many kilometer did the vehicle clocked.

Mike............I know you must be uber gatvol here.

But maybe, just maybe, take it to the right guy and try fixing it??

The 120 V6 really IS a nice car.

Cant you maybe use those 2 blocks and make something out of this??

If I may.....what did you pay for the car??

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Hi Petri

Thanks for the advice, it's taken a lot of thought to get to this point, even if I go ahead and repair, I'll never trust the vehicle again, I cant be driving around in a country with my wife in the car where you end up murdered when you run out of petrol, never mind break down, in this case better out than in. - R140K
    Last edited by Mikey Mike; 2019/08/14 at 01:55 PM. Reason: more info

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikey Mike For This Useful Post:

Really sorry to hear.

These motors blow headgaskets for an underlying problem. I don't believe it is necessary to replace the engine, with 90 percent of the V6 headgaskets blow without damage to motor.
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

If youre really gatvol, contact webuycars, take the (massive) knock they will hammer you with and move on. They do buy non runners.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Really sorry to hear.

These motors blow headgaskets for an underlying problem. I don't believe it is necessary to replace the engine, with 90 percent of the V6 headgaskets blow without damage to motor.
    Yes that is true I have rebuild a 1GR with blown head gaskets while ago. No damage other than the gaskets.

Mike - I'm almost starting to get irritating here I guess, just rying to share my thoughts.

Get someone to have a look at that engine for you man.........even if a Member here can just get something rolling down there.

Start a Thread for this and just ask..........thats all you can do - just ask.

Clock says 149, but after the work I've done not so sure about that.

Hi Hannes

Then it will be an even better prospect for whoever buys it
    Last edited by Mikey Mike; 2019/08/14 at 02:03 PM.

my post 15 refers............even if someone can just check for damage, then get the car somewhere with a carrier.

LOTS of VERY clued up Guys in here - they'll assist where they can.

And I'll zip my pie - hole now

Hi Petri

All is well I understand they are great cars with a huge following, this one is just not for me

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikey Mike For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    If youre really gatvol, contact webuycars, take the (massive) knock they will hammer you with and move on. They do buy non runners.
    Thanks for the advice I'll go online and see if they have a branch in George

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast