Cruiseuh? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cruiseuh?

Default Re: Cruiseuh?

Luxury 200. Anything else 70 series. The size of the 200 counts against it when you start doing some serious offroad trips. The way a 70 Series were designed limit damage to body panels. There is also no limit to accessories for the 70 series being kit for overlanding or modifications.

But yes I would love a 200 series to join the other two Cruisers. In my humble opinion you just cannot do with a station wagon that you can do with a bak at the back. I love the 76 but once I start packing stuff I prefer the 79 no need for stuff on roof rack no battle to find the right spot for every little item. But that is me.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Luxury 200. Anything else 70 series. The size of the 200 counts against it when you start doing some serious offroad trips.
    This is when I usually beg to ask.

Of the 365 days a year, how many of those do you spend on "serious off road trips"?

If the answer just a few, why condemn yourself to an uncouth city ride the rest of your life in a 70 series?

Is it not better to buy a luxury vehicle like the 150 or 200, then rent a 70 series for those few days a year that you need it?
    Last edited by byaru1; 2019/08/15 at 07:05 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post

Of the 365 days a year, how many of those do you spend on "serious off road trips"?

If the answer just a few, why condemn yourself to an uncouth city ride the rest of your life in a 70 series?

Is it not better to buy a luxury vehicle like the 150 or 200, then rent a 70 series for those few days a year that you need it?
    I bought a Prado thinking it will use it for trips also. End up buying a DC 79 for that. I use the Prado as a daily drive so dont want to drive around with a kitted vehicle daily, doing more than 40 k per year. Secondly one equip a vehicle as how you want it, a hire vehicle might not be quit suitable. Depends how many trip you do, but those hired vehicles are not cheap either and many times you must book months ahead, so a quick weekend trip is out.

I did one trip with the Prado as it is, did quit good but I dont like to drive it on those narrow over grown tracks, and having a polish undercarriage which will not be good for resale.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Luxury 200. Anything else 70 series. The size of the 200 counts against it when you start doing some serious offroad trips. The way a 70 Series were designed limit damage to body panels. There is also no limit to accessories for the 70 series being kit for overlanding or modifications.
    This probably sums up my key decision point - packing space. Luxuries aside (not critical for me), the load tray is the one thing I’ve missed since I sold my Hilux years ago and this the 200 cannot provide.

so we’ve now established that any stats documented for any of these vehicles are utter rubbish and that you have to see for yourself... on that point the 200 (on paper) has around a 20% better fuel consumption compared to the 70s V8. Has anyone had this experience or is the paper wrong again?

buy the 79 v8 double cab, if you want comfort and have the cash a ome lift kit ,some 33 or 35 inch tyres to sort out the gearing , bp51 shocks on each corner, all your problems solved. the turning circle will bug you for a week till you used to it , then you don't even think about it.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post

I am not going to argue. First you do not know where I drive regularly. The 76 V8 and 79 v6 is a perfect suit for what I do.

Maybe I will post here within the next year when I done all the mods on the two 70 Series Cruiser. At this stage I will rather buy an FJ Cruiser to compliment the Two 70 Series Cruisers than buying a 200 Series. As said I would love a 200 Series but it does not make sense for what I do.

I did not just wake up one morning and decided today is the day to buy a 70 Series. It came with more than a years research including 100 Series, 200 Series and Patrols. Then 33 years of 4x4 ownership and many years of 4x4 experience modeled my choice. I have build several project 4x4`s and have a very good understanding of 4x4 mechanicals.

I have said you cannot compare the 200 Series with a 70 Series with comfort and luxuries they are not in the same league. the 200 series are better in almost everything. Maybe except 4x4 capabilities. I do not stay in a city so I have no problem with any 70 series as a daily drive. The Cruiser are also not the only vehicles I own. I can however see myself buying an FJ for Swambo.

Tell me you hate this
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by grips; 2019/08/15 at 09:31 AM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

I am not going to argue. First you do not know where I drive regularly. The 76 V8 and 79 v6 is a perfect suit for what I do.
    Yes of course.
    My reply was meant for @boesman88 (OP) who asked:

I am contemplating a replacement for my Prado 120. I am keen on a Landcruiser... but cant decide which one to take between the 76, 79dc or the 200. I know its comparing apples with pears, but perhaps you can help me decide.
    So please you are the pro and hats off.

I did not just wake up one morning and decided today is the day to buy a 70 Series. It came with more than a years research including 100 Series, 200 Series and Patrols. Then 33 years of 4x4 ownership and many years of 4x4 experience modeled my choice. I have build several project 4x4`s and have a very good understanding of 4x4 mechanicals.
    Now I know sir!
    Last edited by byaru1; 2019/08/15 at 10:25 AM.

We recently went on a quick tour of Piesangskloof.
    I drove my LC200, there was a standard Amarok, 2 Jeeps and a Hilux.

I was amazed at my 200's capabilities! The only thing I wish I did was change to rocksliders beforehand, as the side skirts got a bit damaged (this was more my fault than the vehicles').

We now added the bash plate, rock sliders and front runner roof rack with a few accessories; and I can tell you now it looks proper offroad!

LC200 all the way (if your budget allows).

[QUOTE=Boesman88;4206095]My preference would be the 4.2 for longevity QUOTE]
    I drive a 4.2 - it is definitely not a towing vehicle. Given your description, get the 200. It will do everything you want and more in great comfort and style.
    Regards,

Nico Roets

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    I've had a number of cruisers, including a 79 V8 and a 200. I sold the 79 for 3 main reasons, it had a very harsh aftermarket suspension, the clutch gave me endless issues (because I had a 76mm freeflow exhaust and chip), our young laaiti in his chair had to be in the middle with his feet between the front seats.

The 200 is in a class of its own, cannot be compared.
    Which aftermarket suspension? Just curious...as I have just invested in aftermarket suspension for my 79!

Quote Originally Posted by waynestrydom View Post
    We recently went on a quick tour of Piesangskloof.
    I drove my LC200, there was a standard Amarok, 2 Jeeps and a Hilux.

I was amazed at my 200's capabilities! The only thing I wish I did was change to rocksliders beforehand, as the side skirts got a bit damaged (this was more my fault than the vehicles').

We now added the bash plate, rock sliders and front runner roof rack with a few accessories; and I can tell you now it looks proper offroad!

LC200 all the way (if your budget allows).
    He mentioned he is uncomfortable taking the LC200 into narrow off road tracks.. well I think it may be wider than the 79 but it's no hummer h2. Really if the UN and all african governments use them 200s in volumes it says a lot about the 200. They probably of course use the GX versions. In fact most I have seen are the 5-speed manuals, some with the 4.0v6 1GR engine and others with a detuned 4.5 d4d v8, but all doing duty in the worst places you could imagine. In most of east and south east africa, you will find the japanese domestic market grey import 4.6 v8 petrols, all of which are doing duty as usual. All these have no kdss.

In short, I doubt you could.go wrong with the 200. If budget allows, get it, and for your needs, looks like.the entry model will do.

By the way, I notice that the South African 200 VX-R does not have the JBL Synthesis 17-speaker audio system available in other Africa markets. I wonder why..
    Last edited by byaru1; 2019/08/19 at 11:32 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

This is my 150, and yet I stare longingly and with great jealousy at any tan colored 70 series wagon or d/c I see.
    If your heart wants the solid axle stuff, there's no turning it off, even with your head screaming NO !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparewheel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    Which aftermarket suspension? Just curious...as I have just invested in aftermarket suspension for my 79!
    Hi CalDriver, it was Old Man Emu. I however must add, it was not a fault w.r.t the kit itself, more a mistake made in the selection of the ratings of the kit fitted by the installer, they selected the front coils way to hard and the leaves at the back way to soft.

I had a few other LC's with OME and they performed brilliantly.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3