Cruiseuh? - Page 2





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: Cruiseuh?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    George
    Posts
    2,707
    Thanked: 989

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Check the classifieds a pristine white 200 V8 just got posted this morning, R500k if I recall and under 200k km mileage, recent model.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,945
    Thanked: 718

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I think many are sceptical about longevity on the v8.
    I am for one, reason I bought v6's . And the 100k N$ exstra!! But yes if there is no option rather a V8 than a LR, or anything else .

    The v6 dont have injectors, injector pump and a turbo that costs way over 100 k Rand.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/08/14 at 01:49 PM.
    Johan Kriel

    LC's and Echo Chobe

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:


  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,328
    Thanked: 3008

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boesman88 View Post
    I am contemplating a replacement for my Prado 120. I am keen on a Landcruiser... but cant decide which one to take between the 76, 79dc or the 200. I know its comparing apples with pears, but perhaps you can help me decide.

    As much as I would like to claim that I do 6 months trans-Africa solo adventures, the reality is that I would realistically spend one longish holiday a year overlanding around our neighbouring countries, a couple weeks at a Sanpark and a few weekends away. Small family of 3 and I need to tow a Commander during some or all of the above trips. The rest is normal daily mixed driving

    All three vehicles have their own appeal, and I love all the engines - 4.2, both 4.5s and the v6.

    My preference would be the 4.2 for longevity which means the 76 or 79 but unsure if it will comfortably pull my Arc. My Prado v6 struggles a bit towing the Arc plus consumption when towing is well, not the best and Iím sure it will be the sane in the 79. Then the 70ís V8 is strongish (but less powerful than my wifeís 2.4 tuna?!). The 4.5 200 vx appears to be the strongest by a country mile- should this be the obvious choice? Any views?
    Prado 150 V6??

    Or, if you're looking at new, maybe wait for the 2,8 GD6 and see how it goes? Should be a VERY nice vehicle I think.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:


  6. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    8,558
    Thanked: 2206

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    I am for one, reason I bought v6's . And the 100k N$ exstra!! But yes if there is no option rather a V8 than a LR, or anything else .

    The v6 dont have injectors, injector pump and a turbo that costs way over 100 k Rand.
    The v6 does have a pump and injectors just smaller and cheaper. of het die NAM v6 Cruisers nog carburetors
    Last edited by grips; 2019/08/14 at 01:54 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:


  8. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pta
    Age
    41
    Posts
    367
    Thanked: 26

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Prado 150 V6??

    Or, if you're looking at new, maybe wait for the 2,8 GD6 and see how it goes? Should be a VERY nice vehicle I think.
    Iím not sure the 150 V6 is that much of an improvement over the 120 V6 power and consumption wise.

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pta
    Age
    41
    Posts
    367
    Thanked: 26

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    The v6 does have a pump and injectors just smaller and cheaper. of het die NAM v6 Cruisers nog carburetors
    😂😂 of all the fuel injected cars on the road today the 1GR is surely the safest bet durability wise

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boesman88 For This Useful Post:


  11. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Posts
    527
    Thanked: 468

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    I've had a number of cruisers, including a 79 V8 and a 200. I sold the 79 for 3 main reasons, it had a very harsh aftermarket suspension, the clutch gave me endless issues (because I had a 76mm freeflow exhaust and chip), our young laaiti in his chair had to be in the middle with his feet between the front seats.

    The 200 is in a class of its own, cannot be compared.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Lifeís a journey, enjoy the ride

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:


  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    8,558
    Thanked: 2206

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boesman88 View Post
    Iím not sure the 150 V6 is that much of an improvement over the 120 V6 power and consumption wise.
    The 150 have the dual VVTI engine pusing 207kw and 381nm vs the 120 with 179kw and 377nm. On paper it looks like a small difference but the dual VVTI huge gains in power and consumption.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:


  15. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanked: 594

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boesman88 View Post
    Iím not sure the 150 V6 is that much of an improvement over the 120 V6 power and consumption wise.
    On paper yes, but many who have owned a 120 before say the 150 is heavier on petrol.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:


  17. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanked: 594

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:


  19. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    39
    Posts
    6,773
    Thanked: 333

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Ag nee wat... The 200 is overrated, can't even be compared to a ranger!
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco



  20. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Randburg
    Posts
    67
    Thanked: 76

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    The 150 have the dual VVTI engine pusing 207kw and 381nm vs the 120 with 179kw and 377nm. On paper it looks like a small difference but the dual VVTI huge gains in power and consumption.
    I have had both. The 150 will not run away from the 120 and my 150 was heavier on fuel.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZV For This Useful Post:


  22. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    19
    Thanked: 4

    Smile Re: Cruiseuh?

    I recently had to make a similar decision and in our case it came down to functionality ito loading ability and versatility. We enjoy overlanding, visit neighbouring countries and tow a Bushlapa insect. We also wanted to have the option to tent-camp when required and towing the Bushlapa was not an attractive option and for that reason we decided on the 79 V8. It is not my daily ride so when using it for weekend camping or longer holidays the vehicle is usually loaded which results in me not even feeling the harder suspension. It is not an ideal city vehicle especially with regards parking at malls with their sub miniature parking bays. The V8 towing experience though is fantastic. The bakkie/loadbody gives freedom to load 'dirty' goods (wet/muddy groundsheets etc) which I will never consider loading in a 200 - just me.

  23. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    George
    Posts
    2,707
    Thanked: 989

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    That's the one

    Toyota Land Cruiser VX 200 - Super clean
    Year: 2008
    Mileage: 168500
    The car has also been fully wrapped in VPS from new, so should the new owner wish to remove this, it will look like a brand new vehicle underneath.
    Price : R499,995.00

    As these things go is the above decently priced, how much does the latest model sell for?

    A very clean 2007 Toyota Landcruiser 76 4.2 D has just popped up for R290k:
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...84#post4206784
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/08/14 at 07:25 PM.

  24. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pta
    Age
    41
    Posts
    367
    Thanked: 26

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    right - with reliability not a decisive aspect (much of a muchness between the lot) - the 4.2 will be too pap (am trying to get more power than my current v6 after all) - so that engine is out the running.

    in terms of sheer size - the 200vx with a mounted spare on the back is the same length as the 79 dc, but a fair bit higher and about 100mm wider which puts it in the tank category (Leopard 2A7 or JoJo 20k L - you decide) - it is a monster and certainly takes up more space than a 79. Add a RTT and it has to sleep outside. The wheelbase is shorter which provides a better turning circle Iím sure than the 79. How much more difficult is the 79 to drive as a daily drive compared to the 200 and why? Cant be sheer size as many will make you believe...

  25. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    st lucia
    Age
    40
    Posts
    201
    Thanked: 90

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Mostly turning circle and 200 auto box would make it easier if you wife is going to drive it

  26. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ebene
    Age
    41
    Posts
    401
    Thanked: 66

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boesman88 View Post
    I am contemplating a replacement for my Prado 120. I am keen on a Landcruiser... but cant decide which one to take between the 76, 79dc or the 200. I know its comparing apples with pears, but perhaps you can help me decide.

    Any views?
    I think if you can afford the LC200, this would be a no-brainer. The earlier models were 173kW/600Nm, current models are 195kW/615Nm. I believe the GX models also have no adaptive suspension (kdss) but will be cheaper.

  27. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    edenvale
    Age
    38
    Posts
    90
    Thanked: 12

    Thumbs up Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Problematix View Post
    I'm the happy owner of both the 100 and the 200. Both are magnificent vehicles. I've found all sorts of excuses not to sell the 100. Sure, she's neither quick of the mark, nor as luxurious as the 200. But she's got plenty of torque and despite her age (15-yrs with 220k on the clock), she's never let us down and she offers a remarkably comfortable ride (no passenger or driver has ever complained about back pain after some long distance driving).

    But face it, 15-yrs is getting long in the tooth in any car terms and insurance-wise, she's almost as expensive as the 200! This will eventually be her demise.

    The 200 is a dream machine, and in my mind probably a better bet if you have a 5yr+ window on keeping the car. You'll still pay a premium for the series jump, but if you find a low mileage car, it's a much more (updated) car / value for your money.

    Please can I get first option on your 100 series?

  28. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ebene
    Age
    41
    Posts
    401
    Thanked: 66

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    I've had a number of cruisers, including a 79 V8 and a 200. I sold the 79 for 3 main reasons, it had a very harsh aftermarket suspension, the clutch gave me endless issues (because I had a 76mm freeflow exhaust and chip), our young laaiti in his chair had to be in the middle with his feet between the front seats.

    The 200 is in a class of its own, cannot be compared.
    I agree.

    LC200 totally uncomparable here. Different beast. If you have the $$, get it.

    I've travelled a bit around Africa and can see that the 200s are all over the place both privately and with UN, governments etc all under harsh conditions. I have been driven in some already with 600,000kms and above and feeling like it can take another 600,000km more with ease.

  29. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ebene
    Age
    41
    Posts
    401
    Thanked: 66

    Default Re: Cruiseuh?

    Quote Originally Posted by nicom View Post
    I recently had to make a similar decision and in our case it came down to functionality ito loading ability and versatility. We enjoy overlanding, visit neighbouring countries and tow a Bushlapa insect. We also wanted to have the option to tent-camp when required and towing the Bushlapa was not an attractive option and for that reason we decided on the 79 V8. It is not my daily ride so when using it for weekend camping or longer holidays the vehicle is usually loaded which results in me not even feeling the harder suspension. It is not an ideal city vehicle especially with regards parking at malls with their sub miniature parking bays. The V8 towing experience though is fantastic. The bakkie/loadbody gives freedom to load 'dirty' goods (wet/muddy groundsheets etc) which I will never consider loading in a 200 - just me.
    You then would get the 200GX. More meant for duty than the VX/VXR. I think it even has vinyl seats ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •