Alucab Gen 3 Rooftop Tent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Alucab Gen 3 Rooftop Tent

I'm looking at buying one of these, anybody has one mounted on a Double Cab Hilux? Please share a pic or two.

Then, I see that you can load on the roof, so it can obviously handle a bit of weight on the roof? Any idea how much?

The guys with Double cabs/SUV's - where do you now load your jerry cans etc that would normally go on the roof?

Any other feedback on this tent or other recommendations also welcomed.

Thanks for the info.
    NJ Vermaak

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D | '85 PUCH Geländewagen | Bush Lapa Miskruier 404

2. The Following User Says Thank You to njvermaak For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Alucab Gen 3 Rooftop Tent

I have 2 x 50W solars on mine - handles it without any issues. But keep in mind - if you put anything up there - and don't remove it before opening the lid of that coffin, you have to push that weight up with the weight of your lid. I cant recall how much weight it can handle - sorry.
    DGO Fiddler

This is not exactly the answer you are looking for, but we have ours mounted on a Zambezi aluminium canopy on a SC LC79. The biggest disadvantage is that fuel cans must now be carried inside when going on long trips. Our cans are still in good condition and we never had any real problems with smell or spills.

If you are looking for motivation to buy it - don't hesitate. It takes literally a minute to set up or take down. I bought a waterproof electrical connector from a boat shop and fitted that to the canopy to have power into the tent. The reading lights and cellphone charge points is a big bonus. The only disadvantage was that the mattress was in our opinion too firm and AluCab was not interested in providing a different mattress.

You can not unfortunately put a heavy load on the lid. Those racks are more for mounting solar panels.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SAJeep For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by njvermaak View Post
    Any other feedback on this tent or other recommendations also welcomed.

Thanks for the info.
    They have a standard double cab mounting kit, selling as a extra.

I fitted mine with the kit with Frontrunner load bars on a Frontrunner roofrack on a Prado 120
    See link and scroll until the picture with rubber duck on the tent (not my photo)
    https://www.mudstuck.co.nz/blogs/jou...-roof-top-tent

I only load lightweight stuff on the load bars on the tent. The prado have standard 180 liters of fuel capacity, so we are not in need of jerrycans.

We put a eggshell foam on the existing mattress for more comfort, and there is still room for bedding .
    However I think there is no space left for the standard ladder. We use a Frontrunner telescopic ladder which we store in the vehicle.

We don't use the electrical kit with lights which was not standard when we bought, to me it was money wasted but for someone else the powerpoint maybe useful.
    The inside storage pockets is a must which was also a extra when we bought the tent.

We have the Alu-Cab awning attached to the tent, which we are very happy with.
    The sides can be handy , but we only used two of the three sides twice, normally with vehicle only there is no space space left for the sides.

I see they have a side entrance rain cover now, which we will definitely be interested in as we used the right side entrance and not the the back entrance.

I also noticed on there website that they have a shower cubicle as well now, should be handy for dressing and undressing ( Changing clothes inside the tent is a little bit challenging for taller and older people which is lately more or less my body description now.)

Overall we are happy with the workmanship and the ease of opening and closing. (Two to three centimetres increase in height dimension would be more comfortable to accommodate the extra mattress that we installed for easier closing though)

It is pricey but I guess you get what you pay for, I think CustomLeisureTech are a good alternative as well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyPeeler For This Useful Post:

I also have mine fitted on a Prado - and yes I can recommend the product 7 days of the week.

What I also can mention is - you have little mounting blocks besides the loading bars - this pushed my vehicle height above my garage door limit - and I replaced those with low profile blocks - I must have scored 2 or 3 cm.

Similarly - I think I bought the last version which they made without the electrical fittings and lights - saved me some 8k right there.

I also have the telescopic ladder. Not crazy about it - but it works

I have a Carmaquip mattress on top of my AluCab mattress, and I sleep like a baby - and it closed with that plus double folded duvet, sleeping bag, pillow and my clothes. And the ladder fits in too.

My only "complaint" would be that once my ladder is fitted on the side, I can't open the Prado's back door.
    DGO Fiddler

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Thanks for info all, I got a quote this morning and at 38k this tent should be able to perform concerts!I can't justify that for basically a bed.

The main reason I was going for an Alucab is beacuse it can take the load on the roof, I would need to carry an Oztent on the roof for longer stays and for the laaitie to stay in.

I quite liked to Bundutop but where do I carry the Oztent?

Is the Alucab really worth the premium it comes at?

Any other recommendations from those with hardshell tents?

We currently have a tentco 1.4m on the roof, but it takes to long to take down and I can't leave all my bedding inside which is becoming an issue.
    NJ Vermaak

11. The Following User Says Thank You to njvermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPeeler View Post
    I think CustomLeisureTech are a good alternative as well.

Sorry, missed that one.

Hows the build quality on their products? I recently saw one of their awnings and was, well......
    NJ Vermaak

Hows the build quality on their products? I recently saw one of their awnings and was, well......
    Not sure about the build quality on orders, only saw their show products on the Getaway show, which was in line with their price.

We bought the Alucab Gen 3 tent about three years ago where the power coating, electrical kit, inside storage bags was all add ons,
    In hindsight with all the extras we took, I would have been happy with just the basic tent and the inside storage bags.

It seems lately AluCab include all the extras (I might be wrong) at a higher price which I think is a pity as it narrows the buyers segment.

I think the base price with power coating was around R26k three years ago.

My suggestion is wait for Getaway show in beginning October and have look at different products which will maybe on the show. I haven't see Eezi Awn's Clamp shell tents in reality yet.

I have no personal experience with the Custom Leisure Tech canopies, but my neighbouring camper at a recent MTB race had one on his vehicle, so I asked him about it. For what it's worth, he was very impressed with it - his set-up and other arrangements were quite neat and organised, so I would think a credible comment.

He said to me he keeps it on his bakkie as it did not have a big influence on fuel consumption. Said his awning attached to the side of the vehicle had a bigger influence on fuel used.
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

16. The Following User Says Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

2 pics of the rooftop tent. You can actually see the awning he mentioned (that had a bigger influence on fuel consumption) on the left side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLT-Canopy1.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	537261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLT-Canopy2.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	537262  
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

Have you had a look at the Outlook Penthouse ?

I had a similar predicament 3 years ago, and this was the only one that worked. It has full length roof rails and can carry 50kg on top of it. I transport our kayaks and bicycles on it, our small rubber duck on a regular basis, and on trips I have often carried firewood, spare tyres, etc. The gas struts are strong enough to open the tent with a load on it.

Another advantage (but also a disadvantage) is that the tent is only 190mm high, as opposed to the 300mm+ of the others. My Isuzu can pass through a standard garage door with it mounted on the canopy and you can pass under any 2.2m boom at a shopping centre, etc. Storage space inside the tent is limited due to the 190mm height but the standard mattress works fine for us and we can store our bedding, pillows and the standard ladder inside it.

I have not used the tent for almost a year as we now have 2 dogs travelling with us as well, and a ground tent works better.

Johan
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

Alu cab used to have to models - standard and luxury. I got the last standard - and believe me - I would not be able to spend 38k (website shows it's just short of 40k, excluding loading bars and fitment )

There must be something else available. I do believe the Alu Cab is the best one - but that doesn't mean I am right.

Good luck in your search !
    DGO Fiddler

I believe the american/Austrailian market is driving up the prices locally why sell here when you can sell them there at a far greater price

Sorry, missed that one.

I have done a lot of business with Paul (he has just built me a unique canopy to my design) and I can assure you that his workmanship is top class. He will sort out any niggles that may arise without hesitation.

The Aussies are buying his clam-shell tents by the 100's which I think is a great endorsement of his quality.

Talk to him.
    Phil
    '10 Hilux D-4D AT - Land Cruiser Lite
    '14 Amarok 2.0 BiTdi 4M AT
    Summit Everest

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something - Plato

22. The Following User Says Thank You to philth For This Useful Post:

To see how quick it is to set up, watch the video. It is long winded, but forward about 3 mins into the video.

Watch "ALU-CAB GEN-3 ROOF TENT REVIEW. 4xOverland" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/Zm8XzsOyxYw

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAJeep For This Useful Post:

It was also the exact reason I bought an RTT. I was prepared to fork out the money for the easy set up. Especially for overlanding where you can move location every day.
    DGO Fiddler

The guys with Double cabs/SUV's - where do you now load your jerry cans etc that would normally go on the roof?
    We have enough room for a short front runner rack forward of the AluCab tent on our Land Cruiser 79, but if you look at TechPro's (new-ish self drive rental company) website they are mounting jerry cans on the AluCab Gen3 tent, laid down sideways. You can see it in a few of the photos on their website. Takes great faith in your jerry can seals, but it is fairly low profile and looks slick.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

https://www.quickpitchsa.co.za/quick...roof-top-tent/

interesting indeed - anyone with an idea on price or more info about the product?
    Last edited by EHoffmann; 2019/08/17 at 03:14 PM.
    DGO Fiddler

29. The Following User Says Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Some photo's to illustrate post #12 ...

Photo no 1 : 4000km round trip from Windhoek to Southern Cape. 24kg kayak, 8kg road bike and 14kg mountain bike on roof.

Photo no 2 : 1500km Damaraland trip with complete spare tyre for Ford Ranger, sand tracks and 4 bags of firewood on roof.

Photo no 3 : no problem to fit into standard garage with tent on canopy.

In the 1st 2 instances the tent could be used with the load on top.

Johan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-03-11-02-Knysna.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	537604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-11-341-Damaraland.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	255.4 KB 
ID:	537605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-04-03-001-Ludwigsdorf.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	537606  
    Last edited by J Snyman; 2019/08/17 at 07:10 PM.
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Snyman For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast