This VW/Ford NON-SENSE regarding Amarok - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: This VW/Ford NON-SENSE regarding Amarok

Quote Originally Posted by unrealchris View Post
    Jsut wondering who has the most experience with bakkies in SA? Ford or VW
    Everybody knows it is VW, but with reason.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post

The news that VW is considering (or decided) to base the next Amarok on the Ranger is just bad news for me
    Out of curiousity: What news? And where was it announced? What is planned?

Quote Originally Posted by hein100 View Post
    Ek verstaan die nuwe ford 2.lt is reeds n vw engine
    Nie waar nie. Dis iewers op hierdie forum, kompleet met web skakel, genoem dat dit 'n volledige, unieke nuwe enjin is, totaal onafhanklik ontwerp/gebou - niks met VW te doen nie. Die feit dat dit bi-turbo's het, is maar net deel van die tegnologie wat altyd aan die improviseer is.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GroenHoender For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    You are loyal to the brand and you buy their product.

The 'brand' gladly takes your cash but it's not loyal to you, in fact it doesn't even know who you are.

In half a century of life I have seen many good products but I have not come across a brand that deserves my loyalty.
    Absolutely agree with this.

I was a complete Toyota fan/supporter and all my vehicles was bought from the local Toyota dealer in my town (my dad as well). I was litterally on a first-name basis with most of their salespersons. Then one day, I walked onto their floor, asking for suggestions for a Toyota bakkie (keep in mind that all my Toyota choices/bought vehicles started small and grew up as I progressed in my profession). They laughed and said I could not afford a bakkie. It pissed me off so much that I went home without even bothering to look their vehicles.

And then, via internet, contacted the various car dealers if they can bring a demo bakkie to me for a personal hands-on experience and private time with sales persons. Everyone from Isuzu, VW and Ford (twice, from 2 different dealers!) arrived with brand-new bakkies at my work. Two of these dealers even loaned a bakkie to me, for a week. Heard nothing from Toyota, ever.

Made my choice, bought it, and about a month later, I visited the Toyota dealer in my town, to drop my dad off to retrieve his car from their workshop. And the facial expressions of the salespersons (when they saw/found out) told me a lot.

What was even more impressive for me, was the salesperson of the brand that I bought, did their utmost to keep me happy and informed (on recalls, offroad drive tests, workshop follow-ups, etc) and remained regularly in contact with me via email (no advertisements, just inquiries/general chats) to make sure that I am happy. I never had that in the 15-something years I was with Toyota. And I am deaf.

By the way, I am/was just as equally impressed with the VW bakkie (but it was just outside my budget - however, friends of mine have their Amarok's). We regularly go together on 4x4 tours. All I am saying is that it is not about the brand, but the support/service.

Sorry for derailing the original topic.
    Last edited by GroenHoender; 2019/08/19 at 11:01 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GroenHoender For This Useful Post:

Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I understand the VW Amarok drives on a derivative of the old Navara chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    Audi and Lamborgini
    and Seat

One should distinguish between 'ownership' and 'corroboration'.

VAG owns eg SEAT, Lamborghini, Scania etc.

The idea with Ford is different - it is 'corroboration' - working together.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by PUW View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I understand the VW Amarok drives on a derivative of the old Navara chassis?
    Never heard of that.

For starters, the Amarok is the only double cab with 8 braces / beams on a ladder chassis. Can't remember the exact number, but other d/cabs only use about 5.

Also, the rear leaf springs are situated alongside the chassis and not on top. That way it is longer, hence the more comfortable ride.
    Last edited by clubbie; 2019/08/19 at 02:39 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PUW View Post
    You are indeed wrong

Groetnis

Koos

Quote Originally Posted by clubbie View Post
    Never heard of that.
    Also, the rear leave springs are situated alongside the chassis and not on top. That way it is longer, hence the more comfortable ride.
    Clubbie the F-Series Fords had the leafs outside the chassis as far back as 1952. My 1995 Ford Ranger had the same setup.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Clubbie the F-Series Fords had the leafs outside the chassis as far back as 1952. My 1995 Ford Ranger had the same setup.
    I am talking current d/cabs, Hilux, Ranger, Isuzu, Navara and so on.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hein100 View Post
    Ek verstaan die nuwe ford 2.lt is reeds n vw engine
    As far as I know it was developed before the new agreement.

In my opinion, and I'm sure there were many threads talking about this issue. It's a benefit to both, VW could bring refinement and Ford could bring tech to the table.

Unlike the a-class navarra issue, both manufacturers already have extensive experience in building bakkies.

Well, I will be watching the partnership closely. I am due for a new car in 2 years time, just at the end of the current Amarok life cycle.

There are 2 concerns for me with the next Amarok.
    1. Will it still be available with a V6, and if so at what cost.
    2. Will it still has all it's unique VW tech wrt ZF box and traction control.

If the answer is no to either, I will much rather get the outgoing model, at a substantial saving, and with more money to spend on accesories.

I intend to use that for everything from 4x4, work and back and going on holiday.

Let's see how it play out.
    Last edited by clubbie; 2019/08/19 at 03:47 PM.

Well, I will be watching the partnership closely. I am due for a new car in 2 years time, just at the end of the current Amarok life cycle.

If the answer is no to either, I will much rather get the outgoing model, at a substantial saving, and with more money to spend on accesories.

I intend to use that for everything from 4x4, work and back and going on holiday.

Let's see how it play out.
    Can you imagine the Amarok v6 with all its tech and the raptor suspension
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Can you imagine the Amarok v6 with all its tech and the raptor suspension
    That would be awesome!

If not, I will just build my own...

[QUOTE=clubbie;4209718]Well, I will be watching the partnership closely. I am due for a new car in 2 years time, just at the end of the current Amarok life cycle.

Let's see how it play out.[/QUOTE

The current 6 speed Ford Ranger Auto box is ZF.

[QUOTE=grips;4209937]

Let's see how it play out.[/QUOTE

The current 6 speed Ford Ranger Auto box is ZF.
    Is it different to a 3.2 2015 Ranger?

Drove that in auto, and the box was very disappointing.

The Amarok I had and the BMW I currently have, both have 8sp ZF boxes. No other auto I have driven, including my wife's current 2016 Merc GLE, my old Lumina or previous gen Touareg, came close to smooth shifting and shifting patterns.

In the 4 years I had the Amarok, it was always in the right gear, same with my BMW.

[QUOTE=clubbie;4209944]
    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Is it different to a 3.2 2015 Ranger?

Drove that in auto, and the box was very disappointing.

The Amarok I had and the BMW I currently have, both have 8sp ZF boxes. No other auto I have driven, including my wife's current 2016 Merc GLE, my old Lumina or previous gen Touareg, came close to smooth shifting and shifting patterns.

In the 4 years I had the Amarok, it was always in the right gear, same with my BMW.
    My very first test drive in the Ranger were a 3.2 Auto, I agree it were very disappointing. My reason for posting on the Ford auto box is because it is also a ZF unit. The F250`s at one stage also used ZF boxes.
    I do agree on the v6 Amarok 8 speed and its smoothness. If I have lived in a City and needed a double cab it would have been the Amarok v6.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

A few key issues.
    The current facelift Ranger has a sophisticated 2l engine with a good 10 speed gearbox.

This is right in with VW thinking. In many respects there is little to distinguish this Ranger from the Amarok except possibly the ride.

So if VW want to work with Ford to create a better vehicle awesome. Maybe they can tweak the Ford ride and it is win win. I am sure that each brand will have its halo model as Mercedes did with the Navara based bakkie.

this may push Ford to ensure a large engined halo model is re-introduced. This will make the true blue Ford fans happier. I was reading somewhere that Mercedes are considering joining this party. This makes sense as then the 2 German engineering champions can ensure the Ford is truly awesome.

As the Ford Ranger halo models are made here in SA one hopes this means that the Amarok and X-class will also be made here. It would be nice to support a locally built vehicle without having to compromise on ride comfort and gadgets.

I believe this is a collaboration that can work. The new Ford is only due 2022. So there will still be lots of the current Amaroks bought before then.

A last note on the 86. It was designed and sold as a drift car on a budget with tyres to match the engine to match the chassis so youngsters could play without breaking the bank. It was never intended to be a sports car. Its inherent competence is shown by how many have stretched it beyond this concept and turned it into a sports car. In my opinion if you buy an 86 and change the tyres you have missed the point and lost out on all the fun. So like the Corolla 16v's of old it is a Giant slayer operating way beyond its intended design brief.

2012 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE - Amazingly competent
    2014 Crosspolo 1.2TSI - General runabout
    2011 KTM 990 Adventure - The classic can do bike
    Sadly sold: 2004 Disco 2 V8 - My beach cottage no more
    Finally retired: 2006 Volvo XC70 - Swambo's platkar that could

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMatt View Post
    A few key issues.
    The current facelift Ranger has a sophisticated 2l engine with a good 10 speed gearbox.

This is right in with VW thinking. In many respects there is little to distinguish this Ranger from the Amarok except possibly the ride.

So if VW want to work with Ford to create a better vehicle awesome. Maybe they can tweak the Ford ride and it is win win. I am sure that each brand will have its halo model as Mercedes did with the Navara based bakkie.

this may push Ford to ensure a large engined halo model is re-introduced. This will make the true blue Ford fans happier. I was reading somewhere that Mercedes are considering joining this party. This makes sense as then the 2 German engineering champions can ensure the Ford is truly awesome.

As the Ford Ranger halo models are made here in SA one hopes this means that the Amarok and X-class will also be made here. It would be nice to support a locally built vehicle without having to compromise on ride comfort and gadgets.

I believe this is a collaboration that can work. The new Ford is only due 2022. So there will still be lots of the current Amaroks bought before then.

A last note on the 86. It was designed and sold as a drift car on a budget with tyres to match the engine to match the chassis so youngsters could play without breaking the bank. It was never intended to be a sports car. Its inherent competence is shown by how many have stretched it beyond this concept and turned it into a sports car. In my opinion if you buy an 86 and change the tyres you have missed the point and lost out on all the fun. So like the Corolla 16v's of old it is a Giant slayer operating way beyond its intended design brief.
    The news on MB possibly getting involved is new to me. This is not going to sit well with "Beurvoort", now he will have 2 battle fronts open.

Sterkte Koos.... Hehe.....

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast