This VW/Ford NON-SENSE regarding Amarok

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default This VW/Ford NON-SENSE regarding Amarok

My second Amarok has now reached 221 k km, and still grows on me, which is the reason I am staring this thread. Let me just from the start say, I have nothing against the Ford Ranger, and it would probably be my second choice DC.

The news that VW is considering (or decided) to base the next Amarok on the Ranger is just bad news for me, and over this past weekend I discussed the issue with two other Amarok owners. They echoed my sentiments. The identity of the Amarok being German engineered would be gone.

I do not only think, but know VW is going to learn the X class/ Navara lesson all over again. I think the problem started with VW marketing the Amarok under the Commercial umbrella. Under this umbrella it would not be strange to have joint agreements with other manufacturers, as these are after all commercial vehicles were identity does not count that much, but rather dealer network and back up. The Amarok should be falling under the passenger vehicle umbrella, because essentially (the DC) it is bought as an alternative to an SUV and therefore a family passenger vehicle with off road capabilities and practicality. It has drawn customers like me based on the identity of it being a thoroughbred VW. In other words many of the customers like me are brand ambassadors (having owned, and still owning 10 other VW products). The Fordrok will definitely not appeal to us, and may even lead someone like me to move away from the brand in total.

I am feeling so strong about this, that I believe those VW enthusiasts who echoes my sentiments, should join me in sending e-mails to the VW CEO in voicing our opinion about this issue. VW please wake up and have a serious chat with your brand marketing department. You are going to lose customers, and it will not only be restricted to Amarok buyers.

Groetnis

Koos

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:

Default Re: This VW/Ford NON-SENSE regarding Amarok

The days of VAG building over engineered vehicles with little expense spared are gone. Dieselgate etc. has cost them a lot of money and it's now an era of savings. It's simply much cheaper to develop a vehicle together with another major player. Their products going forward are not going to be what they used to be, my best guess is that everything is being done with cost savings at the forefront whilst trying to push perceived quality.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    The days of VAG building over engineered vehicles with little expense spared are gone. Dieselgate etc. has cost them a lot of money and it's now an era of savings. It's simply much cheaper to develop a vehicle together with another major player. Their products going forward are not going to be what they used to be, my best guess is that everything is being done with cost savings at the forefront whilst trying to push perceived quality.
    Exactly my point. The money they think they are going to save in development, will be all lost as a result of low sales volumes resulting in lower EBITDA for this specific model line up. We are then not even calculating the damage done to brand loyalty. As I said, there is no better example than the x-class fiasco.

Groetnis

Koos

I am still surprised that Merc and VW haven't work together on the Amarok / Xclass. They have done very succesfully so with the Sprinter / Crafter buses.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post
    Exactly my point. The money they think they are going to save in development, will be all lost as a result of low sales volumes resulting in lower EBITDA for this specific model line up. We are then not even calculating the damage done to brand loyalty.

Groetnis

Koos
    The bold statement is still hypothetical though: people might like the outcome of this collaboration. I think it's too early to say.

Brand loyalty: I am not a fan as it is not a 'two way' relationship.

You are loyal to the brand and you buy their product.

The 'brand' gladly takes your cash but it's not loyal to you, in fact it doesn't even know who you are.

In half a century of life I have seen many good products but I have not come across a brand that deserves my loyalty.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    The bold statement is still hypothetical though: people might like the outcome of this collaboration. I think it's too early to say.

Brand loyalty: I am not a fan as it is not a 'two way' relationship.

You are loyal to the brand and you buy their product.

The 'brand' gladly takes your cash but it's not loyal to you, in fact it doesn't even know who you are.

In half a century of life I have seen many good products but I have not come across a brand that deserves my loyalty.
    I should have said "in my opinion". Each to his own, but I have experienced good value for money or money well spent with the VW brand, from the young age of 18 years until now. Never had reason to look elsewhere. For some of us that which we drive is not just a means of transport.

Groetnis

Koos

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:

Ek het 'n paar Ford gehad vanaf 1973 en my eerste VW GTI was die 1981 model daarna het 'n paar Fords en VW gekom met 'n Legend 35 en 'n Fortuner (Om Moer Kar wat 'n stuk rubbish) en toe die Ranger 3.2 met 2 Polo TDI 74.96kw staan nou op die erf..

My siening is dat dis nie 'n slagte idee as vervaardigers saamwerk en iets goed op die mark sit nie..Ranger met 'n VW 2lt/V6 met daai 8 spoed of Ford se 10 spoed auto mag werk ...Dan die ander punt is, koop die rygoed en maak jou stelling of....
    TDI
    Boskriek 814
    Dries de Kock

Dom vraag. Maar wie se VW gaan ford engines ens gebruik. Gaan dit mie n geval wees dat Ford VW se engines ens gaan gebruik nie. So alles Amarok dan net n Ford dop. Soos Merc gemaak het.

Arrow Re: This VW/Ford NON-SENSE regarding Amarok

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Schimper View Post
    Dom vraag. Maar wie se VW gaan ford engines ens gebruik. Gaan dit mie n geval wees dat Ford VW se engines ens gaan gebruik nie. So alles Amarok dan net n Ford dop. Soos Merc gemaak het.
    Ek verstaan die nuwe ford 2.lt is reeds n vw engine

2017 VW Amarok BiTDi 4Motion D/Cab
    2012 VW Touareg V6 TDi Bluemotion
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hein100 For This Useful Post:

Ek kan ongelukkig nie onthou watter artikel dit was nie, maar het gelees waar VW CEO gese het die samewerkings ooreenkoms gaan oor besparing deur sekere parte soos bv onderstelle en suspensie te deel. VW sal egter steeds uniek bly as dit by motors kom... Ons moet maar wag en kyk. Ek ry myself 'n Amarok en is baie lief vir my bakkie. Alhoewel ek niks teen die Ranger het nie sal ek my ou Amarok nie verruil vir 'n nuwe Ranger nie. As ons egter die nuwe Amarok teen 'n meer kompeterende prys kan kry oor hy plaaslik in d Ford fabriek gebou word kan dit werk.

If you look at Amarok sales figures world wide vs the Ranger, VW`s joint venture with Ford makes sense from a manufacturing and economic view.

I also hate these hybrid things and left the Ford brand during the Samcor years. I do understand the feelings of the VW fans.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hein100 View Post
    Ek verstaan die nuwe ford 2.lt is reeds n vw engine
    Ek dink nie so nie. Waar het jy dit gehoor?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

If you people realise the scale of collaboration between manufactures over the years then you would not be so much worried about this one.

VW and Ford has a history of collaborating.

1. The earliest one that comes to mind is the VW Sharan and Ford Galaxy.

2. Some BMW’s, Mini’s and Land Rovers used a Peugeot/Citroen engine.

2. Some diesel A-Class Mercedes’ used the 1.5 Renault/Dacia engine.

3. The Peugeot 107, Citroen C1 and Toyota Aygo is in essence the same car.

4. The Mitsubishi ASX and the Subaru XV.

5. The Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ.

6. Chrysler 300 and Mercedes E-Class.

7. Grand Cherokee and Mercedes M-Class.

8. Mazda MX-5 and Fiat 124 Spyder.

The list is endless and this cross manufacturer collaboration has been going in for eons.
    Regards
    HeinrichC

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HeinrichC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post
    Exactly my point. The money they think they are going to save in development, will be all lost as a result of low sales volumes resulting in lower EBITDA for this specific model line up. We are then not even calculating the damage done to brand loyalty. As I said, there is no better example than the x-class fiasco.

Groetnis

Koos

No offence, but it's not like thousands of Amaroks roll of the floor every month. June saw 225 Amarok sales only - maybe with a reduced price the sales may increase?
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Netler View Post
    Ek kan ongelukkig nie onthou watter artikel dit was nie, maar het gelees waar VW CEO gese het die samewerkings ooreenkoms gaan oor besparing deur sekere parte soos bv onderstelle en suspensie te deel. VW sal egter steeds uniek bly as dit by motors kom... Ons moet maar wag en kyk. Ek ry myself 'n Amarok en is baie lief vir my bakkie. Alhoewel ek niks teen die Ranger het nie sal ek my ou Amarok nie verruil vir 'n nuwe Ranger nie. As ons egter die nuwe Amarok teen 'n meer kompeterende prys kan kry oor hy plaaslik in d Ford fabriek gebou word kan dit werk.
    Unfortunately, we all know that any manufacturing efficiency gains from such a collaboration will not be passed onto the customer but will be passed on to the shareholder.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    No offence, but it's not like thousands of Amaroks roll of the floor every month. June saw 225 Amarok sales only - maybe with a reduced price the sales may increase?
    Uys that is what I am trying to say in my post above. The figures is not 100% correct but about 80 000 Amaroks sold world wide per year vs 350 000 Ford Rangers.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Uys, as Grips stated, give or take some but 80 000 Amaroks per year is a viable number. Compare that to less than 17 000 X class per year worldwide. In any case, as per my original post, this is not a Ranger vs Amarok issue. This is about the unique (to me) identity of the Amarok being lost.

Groetnis

Koos
    Last edited by Beurvoort; 2019/08/13 at 07:59 AM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:

We are moving in the direction where individual car ownership will not be the norm.

Cars will become like a Uber utility, you "hire" the (driverless) car for a trip.

So cars will not be tailored to individual likes/ dislikes but rather a vehicle that is cheap to manufacture, maintain and run.

Just a matter of time, 10 years or do in Europe, USA.

I'm sure VW, Ford, Toyota will collaborate more closely going forward.
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2019/08/13 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    We are moving in the direction where individual car ownership will not be the norm.

Cars will become like a Uber utility, you "hire" the (driverless) car for a trip.

So cars will not be tailored to individual likes/ dislikes but rather a vehicle that is cheap to manufacture, maintain and run.

Just a matter of time, 10 years or do in Europe, USA.

I'm sure VW, Ford, Toyota will collaborate more closely going forward.
    So what you are saying is that in the future there will be no more manufacturer section on the forum, as it shall all be much of a muchness.

Groetnis

Koos

When I was young(er) I used to be kind of a brand loyalist especially towards VW and German cars in general.

But over the years I have learned that the Germans takes built in obsolescence to a whole new level of absurdity. There cars are so technologically packed with gizmos and electronics yet reliability is down the toilet - yes I said it - T O I L E T

These days, I buy whatever suits my needs, and, perhaps "perceived" reliability and to be honest, the Japs & Koreans are way ahead of the pack.

That being said - I will never buy a VW/Ford amalgamation - especially since I regard Ford - the company as criminal empire if you read up on their history of denial of blatant faults, people dying in their cars that catches fire etc etc - they are a BAD company - their vehicles I guess are OK'ish but the company leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

My 2cw
    Last edited by WAJ; 2019/08/13 at 08:10 AM.
    High: KIA Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4 - SOLD

Platkar Haaihoendaai i20 1.4

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast