Kruger self satering with small kids

Default Kruger self satering with small kids

Hi all.
    Working abroad ill be visiting SA in mid Jan 2020 and want to spend a week in Kruger Park. The last time I was there I was 8 years old so vant remember much. My boys are now 2 and 4.
    We dont have camping equipment in SA so looking for advise on what self catering camp in kruger would be best option.
    We will spend 3 days at Kruger Park Lodge and then want to do 4 days in the park.
    1. Are the units generally neat and clean or would you reccomend against it?
    2. Preferably shorter drives with the small kids.
    3. Ideal would be to get a place where there is nice game viewing from chalet? Possible?

Any advice would be great.

Default Re: Kruger self satering with small kids

As a fellow ex Koster-iet, here goes...

Kruger Park accommodations are simple yet functional. I have never experienced dirty linen or cooking utensils. The stoves might be a bit iffy, but everything gets cleaned.
    Viewing game from the "stoep", one has to have perimeter accommodation and hope something comes along to look at.

Game concentration, apparently, is better in the southern part, however it is a game of chance. I have had an instance where I was passed by 5 cars and the next moment two Cheetah emerged from the bush.
    Kids might get bored but in car entertainment for them might alleviate or distract from their boredom.

My favourite camps are, Shinwedzi, Satara, Letaba, Berg en Dal and Tsendze for camping. Sanparks site has a lot of info on camps and accommodation.

Just go and experience it!

Quote Originally Posted by kleinbul View Post
    Hi all.
    Working abroad ill be visiting SA in mid Jan 2020 and want to spend a week in Kruger Park. The last time I was there I was 8 years old so vant remember much. My boys are now 2 and 4.
    We dont have camping equipment in SA so looking for advise on what self catering camp in kruger would be best option.
    We will spend 3 days at Kruger Park Lodge and then want to do 4 days in the park.
    1. Are the units generally neat and clean or would you reccomend against it?
    2. Preferably shorter drives with the small kids.
    3. Ideal would be to get a place where there is nice game viewing from chalet? Possible?

Any advice would be great.
    The chalets are absolutely fine, clean and reasonably equipped. Not too many camps offer the chance of game viewing from the chalets the closest would be Olifants where you can view the river from the top of the mountain. Lower Sabie and Letaba are favourites of ours because the rivers offers so much game viewing opportunities but unfortunately not from the chalets.

Sorry for being a wet blanket but malaria is your biggest problem and should be your first concern. Your kids are very young. If you are not willing to give them prophylaxis, I would strongly recommend you reconsider the trip.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

All camps are safe and friendly ...Our Boys both went at 3 months . Best camps that they liked (If we were not camping like you ..Punda Maria , Sirheni , Bateleur Shingwedzi , Balule and Orpen ..(Balule take everything ..they just supply Bungalows and a Toilet outside

If I were you I'd book in at ngwenya lodge and then do day trips into the park. Your boys will enjoy the kids activities at the lodge and daily, morning and/or afternoon in the park.

If you get a river facing chalet an ngwenya you can sometimes view game from your chalet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    If I were you I'd book in at ngwenya lodge and then do day trips into the park. Your boys will enjoy the kids activities at the lodge and daily, morning and/or afternoon in the park.

If you get a river facing chalet an ngwenya you can sometimes view game from your chalet.
    Good Option

Good idea to book a guided night drive - kids will enjoy. We were fortunate to stumble upon a pack of loin with a kill.
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

Thx for the feedback guys. Week booked at lower Sabie looking forward.