Do you need PDP if towing?

Default Do you need PDP if towing?

On Wednesday on the way to local cattle auction I was pulled over by the local spietkops. I was towing a double axle 2ton trailer loaded with weaners. Spietkop informed me that I need a PDP for towing/transport goods. He said I need PDP even if I tow caravan!

Was he talking BS or has law recently changed?
    Cruzer VX

Default Re: Do you need PDP if towing?

Not as far as I know....

The permit is issued in addition to an ordinary driving licence. A PrDP applies to the following motor vehicle categories:

• a goods vehicle with a gross vehicle mass exceeding 3 500kg
    • a breakdown vehicle or a bus
    • a minibus weighing more than 3 500kg or designed to carry 12 or more people (the driver included)
    • light motor vehicles, indicated in the economic sector for carrying passengers for reward (taxi-cab)
    • a motor vehicle designed to carry 12 or more people
    • any vehicle for which an operating licence is issued
    • dangerous goods vehicle (e.g. fuel tanker).

From: https://www.gov.za/services/driving-...driving-permit
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzer VX View Post
    On Wednesday on the way to local cattle auction I was pulled over by the local spietkops. I was towing a double axle 2ton trailer loaded with weaners. Spietkop informed me that I need a PDP for towing/transport goods. He said I need PDP even if I tow caravan!

The National Road Traffic Act states that the driver of vehicle that transports persons for reward shall have a PrDP for category P-Passengers.

115. Certain drivers of certain vehicles to hold professional driving permit

115. (1) Subject to the provisions of subregulation (2), a professional driving permit shall be held by the driver of-

(a) a goods vehicle, the gross vehicle mass of which exceeds 3 500 kilograms;

(b) a breakdown vehicle;

(c) a bus;

(d) a minibus- (i) the gross vehicle mass of which exceeds 3 500 kilograms; or (ii) which is designed or adapted for the conveyance of 12 or more persons, including the driver;

(e) a motor vehicle used for the conveyance of persons for reward or is operated in terms of a operating licence issued in accordance with the NLTTA; [Subreg. (e) replaced by R.4, G.N. R.871 w.e.f. 1 January 2006 enforceable from 1 July 2006]

(f) a motor vehicle the gross vehicle mass of which exceeds 3 500 kilograms to which regulations 273 to 283 apply as contemplated in regulation 274; and [G.N. G.N. R.727 has put subreg (1)(f) into operation on 3 August 2001] [Subreg. (1)(f) substituted by R.25, G.N. R.881 w.e.f. 23 July 2004]

(g) a motor vehicle conveying 12 or more persons including the driver.

Other operators of ambulances do so at fee (Netcare, ER24, etc). It is therefore a requirement for them to have a PrDP. It may be possible that your vehicle has a GVM that exceeds 3 500 kilograms. If this is the case then a PrDP will be required or it is designed to carry 12 or more personís including the driver. I hope this sheds some light.

You do not need a PDP for towing a caravan or a trailer. If you transport people, dangerous goods or anything, for reward. Then you need a a PDP.
    Last edited by Pieterk; 2019/08/10 at 10:45 PM.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

Double
    Last edited by Pieterk; 2019/08/10 at 10:46 PM.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzer VX View Post

What were you towing with?