Educate me on Xtrails please.





Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,102
    Thanked: 580

    Default Educate me on Xtrails please.

    So I've been looking for a Softroader or SUV for a while. Prices on stuff like clutches have kept me a little catfoot for Xtrails. However one of my customers wants to sell his diesel 4x4. Price is a little high for the mileage. Looking for R85k and it has done 267k km.

    So this has meant that I have investigated them a little more, but need some background info.

    1. We had a Nissan Grand Livina 1600. Although that motor couldn't be killed, it was high revving. Around 4000 rpms in 5th at 120km/h. Is the Xtrail engines (2.0 and 2.5) the same?
    2. At some stage the interior seems to have been uprated. Cupholders in front, bigger armrest, and drawers i. The boot. Can someone tell me what year this happened.

    Anything alse to be aware of / weary of?
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    cape town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,197
    Thanked: 622

    Default Re: Educate me on Xtrails please.

    make a basic list of things that might need replacement in the future like
    clutch
    diesel pump
    water pump
    injectors
    etc.

    Now phone around to get prices for those parts.

    Then buy the petrol x-trail

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ocin For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,102
    Thanked: 580

    Default Re: Educate me on Xtrails please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocin View Post
    make a basic list of things that might need replacement in the future like
    clutch
    diesel pump
    water pump
    injectors
    etc.

    Now phone around to get prices for those parts.

    Then buy the petrol x-trail
    Yes I would prefer the petrol (although that clutch is also some moola)...hehe. When I asked about the high revving, was actually referring to their petrol motors.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    cape town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,197
    Thanked: 622

    Default Re: Educate me on Xtrails please.

    the 2.5 petrol sit at 3100rpm at 120km/h.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,102
    Thanked: 580

    Default Re: Educate me on Xtrails please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocin View Post
    the 2.5 petrol sit at 3100rpm at 120km/h.
    Is that in 6th gear?
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    cape town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,197
    Thanked: 622

    Default Re: Educate me on Xtrails please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    Is that in 6th gear?
    yes

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,901
    Thanked: 104

    Default Re: Educate me on Xtrails please.

    For that price you can probably get a 4L Pathfinder auto


    2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond


  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,102
    Thanked: 580

    Default Re: Educate me on Xtrails please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    For that price you can probably get a 4L Pathfinder auto
    Opens up a whole new can of worms, doesn't it? Been looking at one of those too. I start looking for a sedan, half an hour later, I am past the Pathfinders shopping for a 5.7 hemi WK...
    Last edited by Nitebob; 2019/08/10 at 03:12 PM.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,723
    Thanked: 935

    Default Re: Educate me on Xtrails please.

    I'd be weary of older diesel X-Trails. On Carsurvey.org several people reported serious problems. They generally rave about the 2.5 petrol, but clutch and dual-mass flywheel failures sometimes occur. I drove a rental 2.5 XE 4x4 6-speed manual for ~3500 km's in Namibia and absolutely loved it. Good on gravel, good on fuel, good on power and quite a smart car. Based on this experience I was actually looking to buy one 2nd hand but then came across the Pajero. I'd go with the torquey 2.5 rather than the gutless 2.0 petrol; I once test drove a 2nd-hand 2-litre and it was awful although there may have been something seriously wrong with that particular car.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,102
    Thanked: 580

    Default Re: Educate me on Xtrails please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    I'd be weary of older diesel X-Trails. On Carsurvey.org several people reported serious problems. They generally rave about the 2.5 petrol, but clutch and dual-mass flywheel failures sometimes occur. I drove a rental 2.5 XE 4x4 6-speed manual for ~3500 km's in Namibia and absolutely loved it. Good on gravel, good on fuel, good on power and quite a smart car. Based on this experience I was actually looking to buy one 2nd hand but then came across the Pajero. I'd go with the torquey 2.5 rather than the gutless 2.0 petrol; I once test drove a 2nd-hand 2-litre and it was awful although there may have been something seriously wrong with that particular car.
    Yes dual mass flywheel clutch combination can get up to R26k easy, and that is aftermarket parts. But what're you going to do? Every vehicle has its achilles heel it seems...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    GERMISTON
    Age
    43
    Posts
    72
    Thanked: 39

    Default Re: Educate me on Xtrails please.

    I drove the 2.0 and had the clutch done by Rex diff and gearbox @ 13.5 k, but I suppose that was better than the 18k I paid for my Navara's

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,102
    Thanked: 580

    Default Re: Educate me on Xtrails please.

    Quote Originally Posted by DUP75 View Post
    I drove the 2.0 and had the clutch done by Rex diff and gearbox @ 13.5 k, but I suppose that was better than the 18k I paid for my Navara's
    Were you happy with the power in the 2.0?
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •