Buying a Renault Duster.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Buying a Renault Duster.

Hi guys,

Looking to buy a Renault Duster 4x4. See quite some 2014 and 2015 models with around 100000 km on the clock. Are there a lot of differences between the 2 years? Any thing to watch out for?

Thanks already!
    Last edited by Dirk; 2019/08/13 at 07:33 PM.
    2018 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL DC

Default Re: Buying a Renault Duster.

Yes, pls do not buy a Duster with over 100 000km. Mine started making all funny sounds and stuff at 96000km, serviced at dealer.

Do yourself a favour and wait for a low km one.

Well, as with any second hand 4x4, a vehicle with 100.000km is a hit and miss affair. I could get a fairly cheap Fortuner automatic 2013 model with 90.000km on the clock. I almost "bit the bullet" until it became clear, the vehicle has driven in 4x4, 85.000 out of 90.000 on gravel, Lesotho roads and it became uneconomical to repair.
    Last edited by Gomario; 2019/08/10 at 05:05 PM.
    I love Mozambique!

On the Indian site, a Duster has done over 175kms.

Gen 1 was from 2013 to mid-2015. From late 2015 the Gen 2 was introduced.

Gen 1 was Euro4 emissions standard and Gen 2 was Euro 5.

Gen 2s have been assembled in Romania. Gen 1s were produced in India. Make sure they have been waxoyl treated for rust.

The chip is different. Late 2015 Renault went to the Continental (Siemens) SID 310 chip. So, the output is slightly different. The Gen 2 has lower carbon dioxide and better fuel mileage, but the Gen 1 is quicker.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Dassie View Post
    On the Indian site, a Duster has done over 175kms.

Gen 1 was from 2013 to mid-2015. From late 2015 the Gen 2 was introduced.

Gen 1 was Euro4 emissions standard and Gen 2 was Euro 5.

Gen 2s have been assembled in Romania. Gen 1s were produced in India. Make sure they have been waxoyl treated for rust.

The chip is different. Late 2015 Renault went to the Continental (Siemens) SID 310 chip. So, the output is slightly different. The Gen 2 has lower carbon dioxide and better fuel mileage, but the Gen 1 is quicker.
    Is there a difference in build quality?
    Also, in regards to the engine, what is the difference between euro 4 and euro 5 engines?

Thanks already!

The consensus is that the Romanian build is better. It also has more features.
    The Euro rating is about emissions.
    The Euro 4 produces 143g/km (4x2) and 137 (4x4).
    The Euro 5 produces 127g/km (4x2) and 135 (4x4).
    They both have the same 80kW and 240Nm rating.
    The impact is the following:
    The Euro 4 does 0-100kph in 11.8 sec (4x2) and 12.5 sec (4x4).
    The Euro 5 does 0-100kph in 12.2 sec (4x2) and 12.8 sec (4x4).
    The Euro 4 gets 5.5 l/100km (4x2) and 5.3 sec (4x4).
    The Euro 5 gets 4.8 l/100km (4x2) and 5.2 sec (4x4).
    The 4WD has lower gear ratios throughout.

Also second going for the Romanian version - apparently better rust proofing though I am not seeing the Indian one's rust.

I only have good things to say about the diesel engine - it's a very popular engine (think I read once it is one of the most produced engines around due to the nissan/renault link). I had one in a Renault Kangoo - 250k strong, think over 10 years, and still felt as good with no problems. I think the engine is really good though am sure their may also be failures.

But I agree - fortunately a lot of duster's around - if you are patient, paying touch more for lower mileage always good

The consensus is that the Romanian build is better. It also has more features.
    The Euro rating is about emissions.
    The Euro 4 produces 143g/km (4x2) and 137 (4x4).
    The Euro 5 produces 127g/km (4x2) and 135 (4x4).
    They both have the same 80kW and 240Nm rating.
    The impact is the following:
    The Euro 4 does 0-100kph in 11.8 sec (4x2) and 12.5 sec (4x4).
    The Euro 5 does 0-100kph in 12.2 sec (4x2) and 12.8 sec (4x4).
    The Euro 4 gets 5.5 l/100km (4x2) and 5.3 sec (4x4).
    The Euro 5 gets 4.8 l/100km (4x2) and 5.2 sec (4x4).
    The 4WD has lower gear ratios throughout.
    Thanks very much for this! Very helpful.
    I read that there could be an issue with the catalytic converter with the models. Is this true?

Also, parts availability, is that the same with both models?

Thumbs up Re: Buying a Renault Duster.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjeepnut View Post
    I read that there could be an issue with the catalytic converter with the models. Is this true?

Hi there .....the diesel cat is small so it collects soot faster......so it can block up faster than a bigger if driven in town continuously/all the time.

The 80kw-240nm 1.5dci is the only motor I would buy.

Do not under any circumstances buy the "New" 66kw 200nm detuned version of this motor.

Why ?After A test drive with my brother we found:

1.They cut costs by putting in 1.6L model parts.
    -Gearbox is the same 5 speed with the same gear ratios !!!!!!!!!!
    -Tachometer is the same -rev limit 7000rpm !!!!!Blatant cost cutting.
    2.There is absolute no reserve power !!!!!!!!
    3.On the open road the gearing in 5th means at 120kmh your are doing 3200rpm with only 600rpm left in rev band=unsafe
    4.Fuel Consumption-zero'd at this speed on the trip computer said 10.2l/100kms=pathetic.Definitely a used 80kw version is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by dougman View Post
    I only have good things to say about the diesel engine - it's a very popular engine (think I read once it is one of the most produced engines around due to the nissan/renault link). I had one in a Renault Kangoo - 250k strong, think over 10 years, and still felt as good with no problems. I think the engine is really good though am sure their may also be failures.
    The 1.5 dCi engine has also been used by Merc and Volvo with Merc getting more power out of the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjeepnut View Post

All cats clog over time. Some exhaust shops have seen cats clog as early at 30k, although 60k is more common. Do the cat and DPF delete the same time as the EGR delete and save for just one software remap. Then you've opened it more than even the Merc version. However, de-cats smell more when reversing.

Renault SA controls the parts inventory levels and here they are cutting major corners. The same happened in India even though it was assembled there. The UK Duster owners order online. I did the same and got the part in within three days as I paid for the courier service...and I saved money. When I had tried to order the part from Renault SA, they took my money for the order, but then 12 days later when I enquired, they said the part was on back-order with unknown ETA. I cancelled the order. However, all vehicles not made in SA have experienced some difficulties with obtaining some parts. So, yes, both models

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy PE View Post
    ...Do not under any circumstances buy the "New" 66kw 200nm detuned version of this motor.
    The 66kW also uses the magneto injectors, which have a larger pore size, whereas mine has the piezo-electric with smaller pores for a finer spray.

I've owned 4 different Renaults - in all instances I was impressed with the product but the service arrangement is an entirely different story - to the point that I'd never buy another Renault. Make sure you know where your vehicle would be serviced and that they're up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by StorminH View Post
    I've owned 4 different Renaults - in all instances I was impressed with the product but the service arrangement is an entirely different story - to the point that I'd never buy another Renault. Make sure you know where your vehicle would be serviced and that they're up to the task.

I'd never service any vehicle at a dealer unless under maintenance plan. And then I'd rather pay the MUCH lower cost of second hand and import parts myself and never go to a dealer. My Jeep has not once been near a dealer since I've owned it. Between indy and local/imported parts i've got along just fine.

THAT being said, if that is not something you feel like dealing with I agree. Go Toyota and be done with it.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

All cats clog over time. Some exhaust shops have seen cats clog as early at 30k, although 60k is more common. Do the cat and DPF delete the same time as the EGR delete and save for just one software remap. Then you've opened it more than even the Merc version. However, de-cats smell more when reversing.

Renault SA controls the parts inventory levels and here they are cutting major corners. The same happened in India even though it was assembled there. The UK Duster owners order online. I did the same and got the part in within three days as I paid for the courier service...and I saved money. When I had tried to order the part from Renault SA, they took my money for the order, but then 12 days later when I enquired, they said the part was on back-order with unknown ETA. I cancelled the order. However, all vehicles not made in SA have experienced some difficulties with obtaining some parts. So, yes, both models
    Wow, you know a lot about the Duster I want to buy a 4x4 one too but I am a bit unsure for now. I watched lots of YouTube videos and I am impressed. I like the interior of 2019 model. Not the best but better than the old and good enough for me. What I want to know is: Can I fit 235/70R16 tires on it without major modifications? Internet info is not 💯 It looks like the hight is not an issue. And on the back, the width seems to be fine too. But in front, the width is a problem on the inside wall when full turn the steering wheel. Can you confirm that and is it a big job to make them fit?
    I love Mozambique!

My originals are 215/65/16 (686). A mate of mine replaced his with 225/70/16 (721) to fill the wheel well, but his tyres "rub the inner lip of the mud flap and brush the liner when full lock reverse". The 235/70/16 at 735 OD is even more. I guess you could just remove the wheel liner entirely, but it does help quieten some of the engine clacking noise as well as keep a lot of dirt out of the engine bay.

235/60/16 (688) will give you truer odometer reading than OEM without under recording and possibly causing excess speed in speed trap areas. It is also 9.3% wider than stock. Rather than getting the 235/70/16, get an aggressive grip (A/T or even Mud A/T) 235/60/16. If you are going to get a 4WD, you'll want the extra space around your wheels when going off-road. You can throw a lot of sand in the Atlantis Dunes.

So life has thrown a curve ball like always, but that's the way it is. The time has made me think, I would love to go more off-road bit realistically, for now, I don't think it will happen soon.
    How much of a difference is there between the 2wd and 4wd?
    I drive on plot roads sometimes but not much. Also, I drive an average of 30000 to 40000 km a year, so services could maybe add up.

Any advice regarding this? I love the idea of having a 4wd but, is it worth it?

From my opinion, who had a 4wd 1st Gen Duster and did 100k in 2 years, pls pass.

They are made for the 15k a year crowd, not for the rep/drivealot type.

Although I enjoyed my Duster, the noises and stuff just didn't add up when I reached 96000km in year 2.

The 2nd and 3rd gen models are def better quality.

My 2c

I do go off-road, but rarely find that I need to engage 4wd lock-up. The AWD mode, like on the X-trail, works a treat. So, the 2wd might be sufficient, but I enjoy knowing the 4WD mode is available if required.

What I do enjoy is the extra clearance height this vehicle offers over the competition.

I took care of the "noises" with my own sound insulation. It's now probably quieter than a third generation model.

If you don't do your own maintenance, get an extended plan. Otherwise, the low mileage services are cheap for the diesel model.

I do go off-road, but rarely find that I need to engage 4wd lock-up. The AWD mode, like on the X-trail, works a treat. So, the 2wd might be sufficient, but I enjoy knowing the 4WD mode is available if required.

What I do enjoy is the extra clearance height this vehicle offers over the competition.

I took care of the "noises" with my own sound insulation. It's now probably quieter than a third generation model.

If you don't do your own maintenance, get an extended plan. Otherwise, the low mileage services are cheap for the diesel model.
    Does the 4wd have more ground clearance then the 2wd?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast