New to the Jeep brand, 2.8 CRD LTD - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: New to the Jeep brand, 2.8 CRD LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Hloni View Post
    Where does this baby sit? Sounds like something I need to urgently look into this week whilst I'm excited to get hands greasy.
    Can't remember anymore, has been some 8 or 9 years since.
    It must be some thick part of the exhaust pipe behind the turbo, no too far away from it. If in doubt, ask one of the ehaust places to cut it out for you.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Firstly I would suggest get a build sheet from the link below

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...d/details.html

This will let you know what's in and what's out, mine states dpf removed so I only had the empty canister sitting there fooling me into believing I had a dpf.
    Took it to a shop and they charged me to remove the "empty" canister.... always great for them when you go unprepared...

An informed Jeeper is a happy Jeeper, unless its the price!
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2.8 Unlimited
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Overland

Quote Originally Posted by HansieK View Post
    Firstly I would suggest get a build sheet from the link below

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...d/details.html

This will let you know what's in and what's out, mine states dpf removed so I only had the empty canister sitting there fooling me into believing I had a dpf.
    Took it to a shop and they charged me to remove the "empty" canister.... always great for them when you go unprepared...

An informed Jeeper is a happy Jeeper, unless its the price!
    It states DPF removed on the build sheet? Pretty surprised by that TBH.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    It states DPF removed on the build sheet? Pretty surprised by that TBH.
    DPF Canister was empty, I double checked!

I want to see everything, I'm that guy that will stand next to you when you torque a bolt on any part of my Jeep.

Also have to state I have a wrangler crd and not a cherokee. Perhaps that's where the confusion or suprise came from.

But then again if there's no picture how can you believe me. So attached screenshot of buildsheet.. I don't have a pic of the empty canister so ja can't prove it
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by HansieK; 2019/08/17 at 12:31 AM.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2.8 Unlimited
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Overland

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HansieK For This Useful Post:

What on 🌎 does this dpf canister look like, and ja, how do we actually KNOW itís empty? Data sheet might say itís there, but previous owner could have removed it. This 13 year old girl has changed a few hands.

Decided to take the plunge, remove the swing arms and check whatís happening inside there. As can be seen in pics below, only the diff side is really perished, front mount mounts still look fine.

Big question: DO I REPLACE ALL FOUR, or just the x2 rear ones? Iím tempted to replace all 4 as the stresses on the older ones might be more now that the rear and also the upper control arm has been renewed.

Will give Mountings for Africa a shout again next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4317A3FA-72CD-40C9-ACF5-8086FAD409AC.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	537597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	606BCD77-7819-455E-9585-15D79CE4615C.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	537598  

Replace all four

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeinrichC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    Replace all four
    Agreed - considering you are doing the labour and clearly are happy to give this Jeep some love it makes sense (assuming the pricing is linear)
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

Was saying to a friend earlier today:
    Yeah, there are certain things which nature takes itís cause on, and if one is wise and replaces those, one gives the car another full lease of life.

If I were selling the car, Iíd only do the ďworn outĒ rubbers, but Iím hoping my dad will value and drive this until he kicks the bucket, so we have to ensure whilst I have the energy and inclination, that I do the best I can.

So as you can see, I try not to take short cuts. Yes, I find hacks around not paying top dollar, however ensuring i keep quality. So me replacing the bushes rather than the complete arm with something more modern (polyurethane vs standard rubber) is me spending a bit extra whilst saving Randelas.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    Agreed - considering you are doing the labour and clearly are happy to give this Jeep some love it makes sense (assuming the pricing is linear)

Dropped off the lower control arms today. Should be ready in 2 days time - baking/curing time for these bushes is around 16 hours, so it's safer with them than me impatient client

Painted the torsion bar to pass time, and I think not a bad outcome overall. Will slap final coat tomorrow or Wednesday.

Will be slapping these boys under the girl tonight, take her for a test drive and feel how jiggy she be. Truth of the matter though is I have no clue how she should ride as this is my maiden voyage in these babies.

Anyone in Joíburg who drives a KJ CRD who wouldnít mind me taking their pride and joy for a ride for me to know how close I am from factory quality Iíd appreciate it. There is a KJ Limited for sale down the rode in Robindale for sale, might just be tempted to go test drive that one (feels unethical as I know Iím not interested in taking her home &#128584...alas.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Doubt you will find any that still rides factory new. Except maybe yours now
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

I drive the 2.8 VM Diesel.

I recommend Caltex delo400 oil for the engine.
    My ODO reads 180 000km for 2005 model but after 5 years of the Odo not reading I guess closer to 300 000km.

What gearbox? 5-45RFE auto? ONLY use ATF4+ oil and there are two filters in the bottom of the auto box.

16" rims from the scrapyard can work. 235 70 16 standard or 245 70 16 works well.

If you have issue with the transfercase feeling that it does not disengage part time/full time, check on the linkage at the transfer case. There is a bush there that wears out. Small little thing. Jeep does not sell it and wants you to buy the complete linkage. Jeep sells one for the JK wrangler loose for less than R20 and it is the exact same thing.
    Getting the Kids to 4x4 - Priceless!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kobusdP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kobusdP View Post
    I drive the 2.8 VM Diesel.

I recommend Caltex delo400 oil for the engine.
    My ODO reads 180 000km for 2005 model but after 5 years of the Odo not reading I guess closer to 300 000km.

What gearbox? 5-45RFE auto? ONLY use ATF4+ oil and there are two filters in the bottom of the auto box.

16" rims from the scrapyard can work. 235 70 16 standard or 245 70 16 works well.

If you have issue with the transfercase feeling that it does not disengage part time/full time, check on the linkage at the transfer case. There is a bush there that wears out. Small little thing. Jeep does not sell it and wants you to buy the complete linkage. Jeep sells one for the JK wrangler loose for less than R20 and it is the exact same thing.
    Thanks Kobus for insight and input.

Ended up leaving the 17" on there as I got a good set of tyres. 2 rear ones got off the forum, and the others I bought.

Will look at those linkage you make reference to. Will get me a bush none the less in the interim from Jeep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2