New to the Jeep brand, 2.8 CRD LTD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New to the Jeep brand, 2.8 CRD LTD

Never in my life did I think I'd own one of these. Took delivery today of the ol' lass, 2006 2.8 CRD LTD (temporary ownership as I bought for my dad as I needed an automatic with some low end torque I could afford).
    I've read the owner's manual, cover to cover, and will be enjoying making a few service tweaks to the car before handing over the keys.

On my to-do list is:
    1. Change transmission oil (no records of when it was changed)
    2. Change both diff oils (no records of when it was changed)
    3. Make waterproof, or close to, carpets that hug the floor contours (vehicle will be spending a lot of time in dusty eastern Free State
    4. Swop the 17" mags with 15" OEM mags (hope they will clear the calipers)
    5. Change all interior lighting to LED

The owner manual gives good guidance regarding WHEN the drivetrains oils should be replaced, thus my feeling it should he a priority - happy to get wisdom from the aged.

Oh...this currently runs 235/65/R17. Checked almost everywhere but can't find the sticker that tells me what tyre pressures I must be running.
    Last edited by Dirk; 2019/08/13 at 11:46 AM.

Default Re: New to the Jeep brand, 2.8 CRD LTD

How much mileage does it have?

Don't the early Crd motors have a tendency to bomb out and need very expensive repairs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

That's true!! I have that baby,and it had got clunk noise in rear wheels........till today I don't know what's wrong ,every jeep mechanic can't solve it.... Please can you tell me what's wrong?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Robert Jr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    How much mileage does it have?

Don't the early Crd motors have a tendency to bomb out and need very expensive repairs.
    Young 230k. Not so sure about the "bombing out" part.

Quote Originally Posted by Hloni View Post
    Do you have record of the timing belt being replaced? needs to be done every 100Km and is a bigish job.

New fluids all round if you don't have records. At 230K km its probably had most of the stuff that commonly breaks replaced already.

Its been a while, but I don't think 15's will fit unless they steelies. I'd just keep your 17's and then go up a size with the tyres. 245/65/17's. From the photo's looks like it already has a 2" lift? Is it spacer or spring lift?
    Last edited by Quiksilver; 2019/08/10 at 10:49 AM.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

Possibly more the injectors and fuel pump from what I have heard, when they break its uneconomical to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    Do you have record of the timing belt being replaced? needs to be done every 100Km and is a bigish job...Its been a while, but I don't think 15's will fit unless they steelies. I'd just keep your 17's and then go up a size with the tyres. 245/65/17's. From the photo's looks like it already has a 2" lift? Is it spacer or spring lift?
    yeah, timing was done 14 months ago at 190k.
    Will test for 15” mags to see if they don’t rub. Wanna run slightly less aggressive profile than the 245.
    Have no idea about the “lift”, how could I confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Robert Jr View Post
    That's true!! I have that baby,and it had got clunk noise in rear wheels........till today I don't know what's wrong ,every jeep mechanic can't solve it.... Please can you tell me what's wrong?
    so I too picked up a “clunk” today as it was really my maiden trip with her. Jozi/Pretoria/Jozi. Will remove towbar as first illumination process. I do doubt it is, as sound comes through at pull off after slowing down for a speed hump if I put foot down.

so I too picked up a “clunk” today as it was really my maiden trip with her. Jozi/Pretoria/Jozi. Will remove towbar as first illumination process. I do doubt it is, as sound comes through at pull off after slowing down for a speed hump if I put foot down.
    That could be a bit of take-up on the drive line, common in older vehicles.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

The 2.8 is a VM Motori engine. The 2.5 and 3.1 were spawn of the devil. The 2.8 slightly better as it at least has a solid head. My advice: Cooling system. Make sure all is working well, beef up the radiator if you can. When you fill up again, use distilled water with antifreeze. Those motors have a 6mm(well, on the 3 1) water jacket so minerals like lime can clog them up.

Those motors were made for european market, not Afrika.

I abide by these rules when it comes to Jeep. If I have to buy a Jeep, buy Petrol. If you have to buy a diesel Jeep, 3.0 V6 or 2.7 (both merc engines). If you have to buy a VM Motori jeep, buy the 2.8.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

This weekend after doing my maiden 300km at a not so bad 9.6L/100km, decided to take a lie down under the blue beast and check out the clicking and clunking 🙈

Nothing seems out of place except for x2 bushes that I wonder whether they might do with replacing - the bolts securing them hadn’t been touched in 13 years, which is a positive yet worrying sign as I have no cooking clue what the cost might be to press new ones into place (maybe go poly on there for longevity).

How do I remove this REAR upper control arm, and can I replace the x2 bushes and Centre ball joints or do I need to replace the entire arm?

Recommendations of supplier in Randburg/Jo’burg area will be appreciated.

edit: found this useful link on HOW to remove on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdvfTFHHe8Y
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	572B9805-2D22-4BED-94DC-AF906E90E8AC.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	536955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3F6A66FB-BFB8-41A5-B7A2-0F589E6062C1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	536956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AFED2C4B-788E-409F-900F-239E00422629.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	536957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EB93FA43-7F78-44C8-9D06-D36243EED5F3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	536958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D606A0B-872B-48B0-81ED-C3030E9ED19A.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	536959  

Many years back there was a service bulletin regarding the lower ball joints. Make sure it was done. It was a dealer recall item and should be on the vehicle's history.

Those 2.8 engines have got an unregulated DPF (diesel particle filter). Make sure it's not clogged, maybe have it removed. Mine clogged up because of not enough open road driving and damaged the turbo. Mis-diagnose of the problem by the dealers didn't help the problem either.
    Since the DPF isn't programmed into the ECU, it shouldn't be to difficult to remove.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    ...Those 2.8 engines have got an unregulated DPF (diesel particle filter). Make sure it's not clogged, maybe have it removed. Mine clogged up because of not enough open road driving and damaged the turbo. Mis-diagnose of the problem by the dealers didn't help the problem either.
    Where does this baby sit? Sounds like something I need to urgently look into this week whilst I'm excited to get hands greasy.

Ja neh, she is shot!! OEM, “Made in Canada” “1106”, so she has served well for 13 years. I’m trying my level best to not have “Made in China”, so will update thread when I get solution by end of the week 🤞🏽

Im actually hoping these guys http://www.mountingsforafrica.com/ will give me a solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I run my tyres at 2.4 Bar on tar, 1.8 on dirt. I just put bigger tyres on the stock rims and this has improved the ride quality significantly.
    Jeep Cherokee 2006 KJ CRD
    2" OME Lift

22. The Following User Says Thank You to John Lindsay For This Useful Post:

Bulli is in Pta but he had a similar model for many years.

I would suggest you touch base with him regarding suppliers and knocking out the dpf, as well as general preventative maintenance on the 2.8.

His number is 0625434275. He can be rude...
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Speak to HenriS on the forum about bushes
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

If you dont come right locally, I've had good service from RockAuto.com
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

Well, I dropped off the arm at Mountings for Africa this morning. R360/mounting, and R280 for the ball joint.

Will collect tomorrow and slap back in after a lick of paint, and give feedback. I’m though not expecting 13 years service life from the bushes I must admit 🙈
    Attached Images Attached Images  

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Hloni For This Useful Post:

24 HOUR TURN AROUND SERVICE:
    Refurbished and lekker new polyurethane rubbers on there. R900 vs an aftermarket one at R2200-2500 (both prices in Pretoria). This, drop off and collection no more than 5L on the

POST INSTALLATION REFLECTION:
    Ah...real MASSIVE improvements! The guys at Mountings for Africa use polyurethane, so beauty of it is if they too hard/soft for my application, we can get the right flex. So happy with actually keeping the original arm as there was nothing wrong with her, just the rubber. Loving my footprint

Will take the car in for wheel alignment next week and hear what they say (I use some honest guys in the are).

There are x2 more rubber bushes (on the swing arms) that I was encouraged to look at, but for now, I’m happy with the “new” ride

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hloni For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast