Brakes on Toyota Surf

Thumbs down Brakes on Toyota Surf

Hello, I hope someone can shed some light on this problem.

1998 Toyota Hilux Surf 4Runner Gen 3 KZN185.

When I brake firmly the Car seems to pull right and the backend seems to want to come round to the front.

Does anyone have any idea why or what could be the cause ?

It's wierd and a bit scary.

My Land Cruiser pulls up straight when braking.

Regards,
    Nick

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman",serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style>

Default Re: Brakes on Toyota Surf

It could be a seized brake caliper, jack front up and start the car, apply brakes whilst someone tries to turn wheels by hand. I suggest to start there.
    Quote Originally Posted by branyster View Post
    Hello, I hope someone can shed some light on this problem.

1998 Toyota Hilux Surf 4Runner Gen 3 KZN185.

When I brake firmly the Car seems to pull right and the backend seems to want to come round to the front.

Does anyone have any idea why or what could be the cause ?

It's wierd and a bit scary.

My Land Cruiser pulls up straight when braking.

Regards,
    Nick

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman",serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style>

Sounds to me like a rear brake problem. I suggest you take off the drums and have a look.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Also check your suspension bushes and rubbers, if they are getting tired they can allow the right front wheel to move ever so slightly back under braking. This will allow the vehicle to veer to the right.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Sounds to me like a rear brake problem. I suggest you take off the drums and have a look.
    I am with Francois sounds like a brake lining that came loose.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Do the rear brakes lock up under braking?