Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    But the number of actual mounting points to the roof, remains the same, irrespective of your mounting system
    If you look at the track, it rests on about 1m of roof length. Your surface area of contact is greater, compared to the foot print of the 4 feet. You are correct, the fastening detail is exactly the same.
    Sent from my iPhone

Oops...

The most I would ever put on my Jimnys roof rack. Just clothes and camping equipment. The rest inside or fuel on the tow hitch

https://youtu.be/HSgHOsYPWfY

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    If you look at the track, it rests on about 1m of roof length. Your surface area of contact is greater, compared to the foot print of the 4 feet. You are correct, the fastening detail is exactly the same.
    Common sense tells me that the only real secure contact points are directly below the bolts that fix the feet to the roof. Although the track may appear to be very rigid, that 1 meter area of the track between the to fixing points will under load, be subject to flexing and will only transfer the stresses to the existing fixing points. Adding additional feet in this area, may be nothing less than useless. And it may create a false sense of security. This is my humble opinion.

Mention was also made of adding another fixing point(s) to the roof that will eliminate the problem I stated above, by means of a rivnut.

On another tread (which I cannot find now) it was stated by a well informed/knowledgeable person from the forum, that rivnuts do not really provide structural strength of note (of the kind experienced by roof racks). From first hand experience (not related to roof racks), I can agree with this. This may be mitigated by reinforcing the recipient plate, and by using a special rivnut that is longer than the standard ones and that thus gives one a larger ridge when collapsed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gavpike View Post
    I said that, but because the track is metal, it spreads the load along the length of the track.
    Common sense tells me that the only real secure contact points are directly below the bolts that fix the feet to the roof. Although the track may appear to be very rigid, that 1 meter area of the track between the to fixing points will under load, be subject to flexing and will only transfer the stresses to the existing fixing points. Adding additional feet in this area, may be nothing less than useless. And it may create a false sense of security. This is my humble opinion.

Mention was also made of adding another fixing point(s) to the roof that will eliminate the problem I stated above, by means of a rivnut.

On another tread (which I cannot find now) it was stated by a well informed/knowledgeable person from the forum, that rivnuts do not really provide structural strength of note (of the kind experienced by roof racks). See post#5 above and where the crack appears to have started. From first hand experience (not related to roof racks), I can agree with this. This may be mitigated to some extent by reinforcing the recipient plate, and by using a special rivnut that is longer than the standard ones and that thus gives one a larger ridge when collapsed.
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/08/16 at 11:37 AM.

I think there is a HUGE difference between the mounting system of a 76 Cruiser as well as a "Landy" (gutter system where only space limits the number of feet you can ad and the load is spread along the whole length of the gutter/roof), and that of a Jimny/GV (and my Amarok for that matter) where only 2 per side points are provided?? Hence the huge difference in loading capabilities. And this being the reason that it was stated that the Cruiser is a real overlander and not a Jimny
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/08/16 at 10:43 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    With a 65kg RTT and some of the worst corrugations I have not had any problems.
    Separately have carried 2 jerries on the rack.

I have an old style Frontrunner - 2011 Jimny - OME suspension. Existing holes were used to mount the rack = 4 feet.. I was told not to exceed 80kg moving load.

Thanks for posting! Looking foward to your new pics. Presume you have spoken to Frontrunner?
    If the "moving" load is 8okg, then the static load is a lot lower? What does the owners manual says?

That is scary, that is the new design. I never seen it before on a new design.

Can you send the pics to Frontrunner to receive their feedback. Maybe their R&D team can look to improve that design.

On another note. I used a sponge type gasget between the rack foot and the roof so that the metal feet donít scrape the roof. I see that happened to yours.

Please keep us updated.
    Well, if he really did load on average 120kg, Frontrunner wont even look at it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Jimny View Post
    Suzuki specifies 30 Kg I think, if Front Runner specifies more using their racks, I would like to see where it is written, and if Suzuki agrees with it.
    Personally I would not put more than 50 Kgs on the roof, including the rack.
    That is why I went with the NeoTrek rack at 10 to 15 Kg, depending on different options, so I can safely load another 30 Kg or so.
    Bigger vehicles with gutter mounts can probably carry 100 Kg plus, but even so, check out the Ozzie videos on how quickly they roll over.....

I think the OP should take up his issues with the sales person at Front Runner, that talked a hole in his head.
    Frontrunner does NOT specify a weight. In their "disclaimer" they explicitly say to adhere tot the vehicle manufacturer specs. And they say that a number of times in/on their packaging as well as in their own instruction manual.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    You could theoretically put a foot on each cross member, you would just have to be able to adjust the height of each vertical piece. The standard kit for a full length rack for the GV comes with 3 feet of different heights to enable you to get a level RR across the curve of the roof. You could add more easily.

Edit: I see in your linked post Tony Weaver makes the point of his 8 legs on his landy rack, and each is reinforced with welding …..
    Yes, but those 8 legs are fixed to the roof gutter that as a whole, that was designed to accept that (or any?) number of legs. The load is thus spread over the total length of the (reinforced) roof frame. And not over four fixing points as is the case with a Jimny
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/08/16 at 11:46 AM.

Yes, but those 8 legs are fixed to the roof gutter that as a whole, that was designed to accept that (or any?) number of legs. The load is thus spread over the total length of the (reinforced) roof frame. And not over four fixing points as is the case with a Jimny
    my point was that if you fit the heavy duty tracks you can emulate this by adding as many feet as you require... the tracks then take the load away from those 4 isolated points.

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

my point was that if you fit the heavy duty tracks you can emulate this by adding as many feet as you require... the tracks then take the load away from those 4 isolated points.
    Common sense tells me that the only real secure contact points are directly below the bolts that fix the feet to the roof. Although the "heavy duty" track may appear to be very rigid, that 1 meter area of the track between the to fixing points will under load, be subject to flexing and will only transfer the stresses to the existing fixing points. Adding additional feet in this area, may be nothing less than useless. And it may create a false sense of security. This is my humble opinion.

Common sense tells me that the only real secure contact points are directly below the bolts that fix the feet to the roof. Although the "heavy duty" track may appear to be very rigid, that 1 meter area of the track between the to fixing points will under load, be subject to flexing and will only transfer the stresses to the existing fixing points. Adding additional feet in this area, may be nothing less than useless. And it may create a false sense of security. This is my humble opinion.
    indeed... IF you only have two mounting points for the track. That can also be modified to add more strength - if you had 4 mount points for the track spread over the length of the track it would give more strength.

The GV has 3 double bolt mounts, and a single bolt mount at each point, over a length of 1.8m.

If the OP had tracks installed with say 4 double bolt mounting points, strengthened with plates under the roof, that has to be stronger than 2 mounting points directly on the roof with just plates under the roof for strength.

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

indeed... IF you only have two mounting points for the track. That can also be modified to add more strength - if you had 4 mount points for the track spread over the length of the track it would give more strength.

The GV has 3 double bolt mounts, and a single bolt mount at each point, over a length of 1.8m.

If the OP had tracks installed with say 4 double bolt mounting points, strengthened with plates under the roof, that has to be stronger than 2 mounting points directly on the roof with just plates under the roof for strength.
    "IF you only have two mounting points for the track" And there in lies one halve op the OP's problem. The other halve is the overloading that took place. And there is no malice in this statement. All of us that use roof racks should take note of this. It is VERY tempting to use all of the available SPACE on a roof rack, ignoring the vital weight factor.

Modifying/adding roof fixing points? Well, it has to be done professionally. Note my remarks about rivnuts.

And even then, take note off the influence of weight on your vehicle dynamics. It may cost you your life, instead of only some cracks in your roof.

Sela.

"The GV has 3 double bolt mounts, and a single bolt mount at each point, over a length of 1.8m."

It has been a while since I sold my GV (for the exact reason of space - even a roof rack would not have helped ) so I can not really remember how many fixing points it has. But I am realy happy to hear that the GV has that many. But I think the static load limit is 85kg's? You can put a LOT of high volume/low weight stuff on top to get to that!

Enjoy the GV

Bodywork donít flex. Your windscreen would pop.
    Everything flexes under load. The effect I am referring to here is similar to pushing up and down with your thumb onto the bottom of a metal can. It will move in and out as you push and release-that is why this poor guy got the cracks in the first place.

Ive read this treat with interest...i can solomy swear that Jimny indeed is made for weekend trips....just aswell for Overlanding...that is if you pack clever and dont mind travelling light. And of course the comfortable levels of those vehicles aint top-notch..it is just a capable vehicle thats goin to take you from point A to Point B(wherever point B may be, i must add) with a smile following big dogs :-p...

Ive owned a jimny as my first 4x4...and man how that vehicle planted seeds in to overland!

On my roofrack, ive always travelled with 2xjerry cans, dome tent(canvas), roll up matress, gas bottle...thats it. Inside the car cooking and cutlery, chair, 1x40l fridge freezer, and 2 ammo boxes. Sleeping bags, My bag of clothes is kept to the minimum.

I travelled more than 40k kms with it, offroad and 60k kms on tar to work and over weekends before i sold it. I cried. My jimny never ever let me down...Lesotho, mozambique, Botswana, Swaziland is under her belt.

I however will advice anyone to not put on a rooftop tent on the roof, that stuff is to heavy, and the negatives will outs the positives with Jimnys...

Jimny owners, pack in right, set your destination, and plan right...GO!!! JIMNYS ARE CAPABLE!

Attaching my Jimbo I miss so badly that I now let Swambo bought A JIMNY! Not regretting it once!

Goofster

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to goofy50 For This Useful Post:

Is that why we have an Amarok, and an Amatrok?

I think there is a HUGE difference between the mounting system of a 76 Cruiser as well as a "Landy" (gutter system where only space limits the number of feet you can ad and the load is spread along the whole length of the gutter/roof), and that of a Jimny/GV (and my Amarok for that matter) where only 2 per side points are provided?? Hence the huge difference in loading capabilities. And this being the reason that it was stated that the Cruiser is a real overlander and not a Jimny

Quote Originally Posted by goofy50 View Post
    Ive read this treat with interest...i can solomy swear that Jimny indeed is made for weekend trips....just aswell for Overlanding...that is if you pack clever and dont mind travelling light. And of course the comfortable levels of those vehicles aint top-notch..it is just a capable vehicle thats goin to take you from point A to Point B(wherever point B may be, i must add) with a smile following big dogs :-p...

Ive owned a jimny as my first 4x4...and man how that vehicle planted seeds in to overland!

On my roofrack, ive always travelled with 2xjerry cans, dome tent(canvas), roll up matress, gas bottle...thats it. Inside the car cooking and cutlery, chair, 1x40l fridge freezer, and 2 ammo boxes. Sleeping bags, My bag of clothes is kept to the minimum.

I travelled more than 40k kms with it, offroad and 60k kms on tar to work and over weekends before i sold it. I cried. My jimny never ever let me down...Lesotho, mozambique, Botswana, Swaziland is under her belt.

I however will advice anyone to not put on a rooftop tent on the roof, that stuff is to heavy, and the negatives will outs the positives with Jimnys...

Jimny owners, pack in right, set your destination, and plan right...GO!!! JIMNYS ARE CAPABLE!

Attaching my Jimbo I miss so badly that I now let Swambo bought A JIMNY! Not regretting it once!

Goofster
    Thank you for this post. I was considering selling my Jimbo but was in 2 minds. Had the guys out to evaluate and was offered what I had paid for her 2 years ago! But I still was not sure as I love the little guy. After reading this I have made up my mind, Jimbo stays, end of story!!

The 30kg claimed by Suzuki is because of the existing rails. When you have a Frontrunner, the weight can be increased.
    Suzuki says 30 kg rack included, Frontrunner sticker says load according to manufacturer specifications so who in the Suzuki or FR stable will give us confirmation of the increased weight?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast