Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof

Hi - could not find a post related to my issue so pls bare with me.

I fitted a roof rack on my 2017 Jimny and to my disappointment after doing some corrugation and 4x4'ing I found that my Jimny's roof started to crack on all 4 posts right where the roof rack fits. My roof rack weighs ±24kg and my RTT ±53 plus 2 x 20lt Jerry cans so approximately 120kg on average loaded on the roof.

I must say that the initial cracks was hidden under the foot piece which was not noticeable until I did the rough road.

Anyone encountered a similar problem like this?

Default Re: Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof

Overloaded for a Jimny and also depending how you packed the weight on the roof rack.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeinrichC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tomthomas View Post

I fitted a roof rack on my 2017 Jimny and to my disappointment after doing some corrugation and 4x4'ing I found that my Jimny's roof started to crack on all 4 posts right where the roof rack fits. My roof rack weighs ±24kg and my RTT ±53 plus 2 x 20lt Jerry cans so approximately 120kg on average loaded on the roof.

I must say that the initial cracks was hidden under the foot piece which was not noticeable until I did the rough road.

Are you crazy? Max load on jimny roof is 35kg? Not surprised it broke, thats too much even for a land cruiser.
    Last edited by GKE; 2019/08/08 at 09:10 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GKE For This Useful Post:

I recall the thread. Can you post a pic of your roofrack? As I recall, Frontrunner changed the design from being 4 feet to having 2 rails. That somewhat relieved the issue. This is how mine looks.

Sent from my iPhone

This guy had a similar issue. But the initial 4 feet design, required a rivnut to be fitted. This was the result when he realised a crack.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    I recall the thread. Can you post a pic of your roofrack? As I recall, Frontrunner changed the design from being 4 feet to having 2 rails. That somewhat relieved the issue. This is how mine looks.

Yes I do have the same roof rack with the same foot mounts. See the image with the damage - look like it initially cracks under the foot piece not noticeable and then later worsens where you can see it. I got mine fixed at a panel beater where he removed the nuts from the roof and I will now use 2 rails with 3 legs/brackets on each side. The rails will come on next week after which I will post more photos how it was done.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1465.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	443.9 KB 
ID:	536657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof rack.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	536658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof rack 2.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	536659  

With a 65kg RTT and some of the worst corrugations I have not had any problems.
    Separately have carried 2 jerries on the rack.

I have an old style Frontrunner - 2011 Jimny - OME suspension. Existing holes were used to mount the rack = 4 feet.. I was told not to exceed 80kg moving load.

Thanks for posting! Looking foward to your new pics. Presume you have spoken to Frontrunner?
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/08/09 at 02:22 AM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

My roof rack weighs ±24kg and my RTT ±53 plus 2 x 20lt Jerry cans so approximately 120kg on average loaded on the roof.
    Whow, 120 Kg !
    Section 4-13 of the handbook clearly states 35 Kg max !
    Must have been fun going around corners.....
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gustav Jimny For This Useful Post:

That is scary, that is the new design. I never seen it before on a new design.

Can you send the pics to Frontrunner to receive their feedback. Maybe their R&D team can look to improve that design.

On another note. I used a sponge type gasget between the rack foot and the roof so that the metal feet don’t scrape the roof. I see that happened to yours.

Please keep us updated.
    Sent from my iPhone

That is scary, that is the new design. I never seen it before on a new design.

Can you send the pics to Frontrunner to receive their feedback. Maybe their R&D team can look to improve that design.

On another note. I used a sponge type gasget between the rack foot and the roof so that the metal feet don’t scrape the roof. I see that happened to yours.

Please keep us updated.
    Yes I'm busy with Front Runner and Suzuki P&A but feedback to this moment not very positive - busy doing a full report which I will publish once all came to the party. Damage like this is bad news however not only was the roof damaged but the front leg of the foot rail where it fits to the rack also broke - see image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1E2B09D9-AC52-4126-8951-D3A006D141AB.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	536722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marked foot 1.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	536723  

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    Are you crazy? Max load on jimny roof is 35kg? Not surprised it broke, thats too much even for a land cruiser.
    Well GKE, I don't mind you calling me crazy but a correction 30kg's rack included as per the Suzuki specks in the manual but you need to love a manual to know this. Who reads it to the letter - the saying goes - if all else fails read the manual and OK maybe I should before hand. However after this I called a dealer and the going answer was between 100 to 150 kg so ....... But let me put it this way 30kg's max allowed with the roof rack weighing 24kg's leaves me with 6 kg's that I can load on the rack. Question is what is the purpose of a rack if I can only load 6kg's?

PS Google then you will find Cruizers can do up to 100kg, with a few at 150kg and very few at 200kg (the new 200 Series Land Cruiser for example).

Well GKE, I don't mind you calling me crazy but a correction 30kg's rack included as per the Suzuki specks in the manual but you need to love a manual to know this. Who reads it to the letter - the saying goes - if all else fails read the manual and OK maybe I should before hand. However after this I called a dealer and the going answer was between 100 to 150 kg so ....... But let me put it this way 30kg's max allowed with the roof rack weighing 24kg's leaves me with 6 kg's that I can load on the rack. Question is what is the purpose of a rack if I can only load 6kg's?

PS Google then you will find Cruizers can do up to 100kg, with a few at 150kg and very few at 200kg (the new 200 Series Land Cruiser for example).
    The 30kg claimed by Suzuki is because of the existing rails. When you have a Frontrunner, the weight can be increased.
    Sent from my iPhone

The 30kg claimed by Suzuki is because of the existing rails. When you have a Frontrunner, the weight can be increased.
    Thats not really correct. The manufacturer takes handling and braking performance into consideration. Just because you have a FR rack doesn't mean you can load it like you want. But it up to you guys, all i know is i would hate to swerve out at highway speed in a jimny with 120kg on the roof.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GKE For This Useful Post:

sorry to hear about your cracked roof.
    I hope you get it sorted.

100 plus kilos on a Jimny roof is not a good idea.
    I would not put 50kg on a Jimnys roof. the car is just to small and unstable for it.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ocin For This Useful Post:

I bet you the dealer will not be willing to put this on paper - they are salespeople and will say anything to make a sale. I had to swerve violently to avoid a pothole, more like a bunker, many moons ago in Moz in our defender with a RTT. It was hairy. There is no way that this would have been possible with the Jimney with a RTT - it would have had to plow straight through

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

The 30kg claimed by Suzuki is because of the existing rails. When you have a Frontrunner, the weight can be increased
    Suzuki specifies 30 Kg I think, if Front Runner specifies more using their racks, I would like to see where it is written, and if Suzuki agrees with it.
    Personally I would not put more than 50 Kgs on the roof, including the rack.
    That is why I went with the NeoTrek rack at 10 to 15 Kg, depending on different options, so I can safely load another 30 Kg or so.
    Bigger vehicles with gutter mounts can probably carry 100 Kg plus, but even so, check out the Ozzie videos on how quickly they roll over.....

I think the OP should take up his issues with the sales person at Front Runner, that talked a hole in his head.
    Last edited by Gustav Jimny; 2019/08/09 at 02:50 PM. Reason: I read the handbook !
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

Thats not really correct. The manufacturer takes handling and braking performance into consideration. Just because you have a FR rack doesn't mean you can load it like you want. But it up to you guys, all i know is i would hate to swerve out at highway speed in a jimny with 120kg on the roof.
    Apologies, but please be more polite. Nowhere ‘I was trying to do what I want’ or being unpolite in my responses.

If so, kindly quote me. Otherwise, I would just classify you as someone who is trolling me.
    Sent from my iPhone

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Jimny View Post
    Suzuki specifies 30 Kg I think, if Front Runner specifies more using their racks, I would like to see where it is written, and if Suzuki agrees with it.
    Personally I would not put more than 50 Kgs on the roof, including the rack.
    That is why I went with the NeoTrek rack at 10 to 15 Kg, depending on different options, so I can safely load another 30 Kg or so.
    Bigger vehicles with gutter mounts can probably carry 100 Kg plus, but even so, check out the Ozzie videos on how quickly they roll over.....

I think the OP should take up his issues with the sales person at Front Runner, that talked a hole in his head.
    That always played on my mind (the quoted weight of 30kg) I load normally a gazebo of 17kg and 2x Ammo boxes of 10kg each. Together with the weight of the roofrack, that equates to 60kg. That was the largest amount I loaded.

I never felt unsafe driving on the road with 60kg inclusive of the rack weight. I must add, I am a very cautious driver.
    Sent from my iPhone

Thanx for everyone who shared their experiences and rendered advise regarding this sad incident - and pls continue as any advise is valuable. I can now understand how guys with the same issue must feel. The short and long is that I do not want this to be an argumentative discussion but purely to share my damage and what goes along with it with other Jimny owners so that the Jimny community out there be made aware of issues of this nature that can be costly. I do have a more detailed report with question on facts awaiting feedback which can also help us but will only publish ounce finalized.

My full intention is to get the roof rack back on the roof as I would not want to overland or camp in any other way as what I did the past 18 months in my Jinmy. Up to now I got my roof fixed and in the same process removed the roof studs which I will no longer use. OK your question will be why and how but more about this next week when all repairs are done and the roof rack on its rightful place.

You sure have a way with words... especially the "Are you crazy" comment... Loading a RTT with 2 Jerry Cans cannot be labelled as "load it like you want"...

100kg+ might be a push for the Jimny but Tom didn't travel at full weight for 80% of the time. In absolute remote places, those Jerry's were filled (the +40kg)... and then travelling speeds were between 5-30km/h. On highways etc. weight were under 100kg (if I remember correctly) and driving behind the Jimny for 1000's of km, I never saw the vehicle veering left/right even if he quickly changed lanes.

I drive a Land Cruiser 76 with a FrontRunner roof rack... it was loaded over 140kg (6 Jerry Cans's & some ammo boxes). The only reason why my roof rack came back in one piece was because of the mounting foot pieces... I have 4 on each side. The Jimny FrontRunner racks have a terrible foot piece and therefore I feel that this issue, and any other future Jimny issue, should be the responsibility of FrontRunner.

Roof rack load weight is a debate that can go on for hours because we all have opinions... whether it's from a book or from personal experience. What is important though is how your roof rack is mounted, irrespective of your vehicle.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to tjoppie For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast