Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof - Page 5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof

Quote Originally Posted by tomthomas View Post
    Suzuki says 30 kg rack included, Frontrunner sticker says load according to manufacturer specifications so who in the Suzuki or FR stable will give us confirmation of the increased weight?
    When I bought my FR, I think I can recall I spoke to a Dylan at FR that said that the roof rack can take 100kg. I don't have anything in writing though.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by tjoppie View Post
    You sure have a way with words... especially the "Are you crazy" comment... Loading a RTT with 2 Jerry Cans cannot be labelled as "load it like you want"... 100kg+ might be a push for the Jimny but Tom didn't travel at full weight for 80% of the time. In absolute remote places, those Jerry's were filled (the +40kg)... and then travelling speeds were between 5-30km/h. On highways etc. weight were under 100kg (if I remember correctly) and driving behind the Jimny for 1000's of km, I never saw the vehicle veering left/right even if he quickly changed lanes.I drive a Land Cruiser 76 with a FrontRunner roof rack... it was loaded over 140kg (6 Jerry Cans's & some ammo boxes). The only reason why my roof rack came back in one piece was because of the mounting foot pieces... I have 4 on each side. The Jimny FrontRunner racks have a terrible foot piece and therefore I feel that this issue, and any other future Jimny issue, should be the responsibility of FrontRunner.Roof rack load weight is a debate that can go on for hours because we all have opinions... whether it's from a book or from personal experience. What is important though is how your roof rack is mounted, irrespective of your vehicle.

FR told me 80kg - moving.
    I used the original Suzuki holes for the old roof bars - we did not drill any new. I wonder if this is why I have not had any hassles?

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    When I bought my FR, I think I can recall I spoke to a Dylan at FR that said that the roof rack can take 100kg. I don't have anything in writing though.
    Hi Rebel tx for replying however I've been in contact with Jay Jay WC rep and Jaco the Sales manager HO and they stick to their sticker on the rack referring to manufacturers load specks so needles to say no one will put this in writing. The joke about this is if you stick with what they give you in writing you can only load 6kg on the Jimny FR rack so what is the purpose of the rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Dvan View Post
    Many people overland on a motorcycle.
    Totally self sufficient.
    So why not in a Jimny?
    Different strokes....so don't generalise.
    It might not work for you. It might work for me.
    Tx D well said and believe me after fixing my damage I will do it again in my Jimny. Only difference is that I've changed the foot mounts with rail mounts but more how it was done later

The joke about this is if you stick with what they give you in writing you can only load 6kg on the Jimny FR rack so what is the purpose of the rack?
    I'd guess the same as having and driving a car faster than 120Km/h. You use it outside its stated parameters, you take the responsibility if something happens.
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jab2 For This Useful Post:

Hi Guys tx so much for all the comments, advise, chuckles and deviations - all of which added value to this discussion. I've now gotten my issue resolved with the help of Opposite Lock fitment shop and not from Suzuki or Front Runner except that FR offered to replace the foot rails as a gesture of goodwill. Suzuki blamed external factors i.e. roof rack and Front Runner said "we feel that the vehicle failed before our roof rack did. We understand that the Jimny has a load rating of 30kg on the roof. We do offer the roof rack and state you should check the load capacity of the vehicle as well as loading the rack in accordance to the road conditions." so come on which was first the chicken or the egg or the egg or the chicken?? To mention, neither Suzuki nor FR got professional input on the damage. All in all I came second in this one and learnt my lesson. Fact is to take note of this as you will be on your own if you own a Jimny same model as mine which is kitted with a Front Runner roof rack where you load more than the manufacturers load speck with the same foot pieces. Read the previous posts regarding the allowed weight.
    Further to this see the image where the cracks started around the 2 roof studs not noticeable underneath the foot piece of the roof rack and the question is when did this start? Fitting a roof rack it stays on thus you will not be aware of any hidden damages as in my case until you take it off.

Another problem was where the FR foot piece also broke both left and right hand sides. No explanation from FR?

Question now was, and reading all the comments in this discussion,

1. Do I get rid of my current camp gear and stop camping / over-landing?
    2. Change back to a trailer again with a 1300cc?
    3. Or sell/trade to a larger vehicle?

Logically a “no-no” for all of this.
    So I got Oppositelock to action the repair

1. Fixing the damage on the roof and in the same removing the 8 studs from the roof
    2. Replace the old foot piece with a rail fitted at a strengthened position and not on a single plate of the body as was with the studs
    3. Fitting the roof rack on 6 mountings, 3 on each side, spreading the weight.

So Guys I'm on the road again RTT and all. Thanks to Oppositelock who has been the driver in this process to get me sorted.

I trust that sharing this with the 4x4 community forum added value to the way we use to think about our roof racks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marked foot 1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	537793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foot piece.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	537794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fitting 4.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	537795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fitting 5.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	537796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1546.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	537797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1580[1].jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	423.6 KB 
ID:	537798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marked foot 2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	537803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1545.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	537804  

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomthomas For This Useful Post:

Glad you got sorted and well done to OL for doing a good job.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2016 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI SE S-Tronic 3Dr

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Hi Rebel tx for replying however I've been in contact with Jay Jay WC rep and Jaco the Sales manager HO and they stick to their sticker on the rack referring to manufacturers load specks so needles to say no one will put this in writing. The joke about this is if you stick with what they give you in writing you can only load 6kg on the Jimny FR rack so what is the purpose of the rack?
    Who are you blaming for that?

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Who are you blaming for that?
    Well one can think for yourself.... see the latest marketing news letter from FR
    Front Runner Rack Accessories are built to endure the world’s roughest terrain while still offering easy on and off mounting as well as flexibility in arranging gear across the top, bottom or sides of the rack. Check out Front Runner’s 50+ solutions for securing outdoor sports gear, camping supplies, water, off-road rescue equipment, roof top tents, and much more. Start customizing the perfect off-road tough rack system now!

Well one can think for yourself.... see the latest marketing news letter from FR
    Front Runner Rack Accessories are built to endure the world’s roughest terrain while still offering easy on and off mounting as well as flexibility in arranging gear across the top, bottom or sides of the rack. Check out Front Runner’s 50+ solutions for securing outdoor sports gear, camping supplies, water, off-road rescue equipment, roof top tents, and much more. Start customizing the perfect off-road tough rack system now!
    Really? One must be very naive to blame FR.

It is ALL there in you vehicle owners manual AND in front of your eyes on the FR product

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    FR told me 80kg - moving.
    I used the original Suzuki holes for the old roof bars - we did not drill any new. I wonder if this is why I have not had any hassles?
    If the "moving" weight (read dynamic) is 80kg, how would most average person determine/measure the static weight?

Really? One must be very naive to blame FR.

It is ALL there in you vehicle owners manual AND in front of your eyes on the FR product
    Agree. Common sense has to prevail. If I make and sell a RR which can handle 500kg, will I be to blame if the manufacture's specs are exceeded? Manufacture's specs trump everything. And BTW, I did load my home built RR on my Defender by about that amount once on a 100km trip.

You do not find claims against the fuel companies because their fuel enabled them to speed, or against the vehicle manufactures, who put in too strong motors causing them to speed.
    Last edited by mikeml; 2019/08/19 at 05:19 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

OK, so this is my last comment on this tread.
    I am happy for you that you problem has been solved and that you may again load your roof rack to your heart's content.
    May I recommend that you once again re-read All of the tread, also regarding the inputs by many others, on the following:
    • The effect of movement on metal fatigue
    • That the vehicle manufacturer recommended carrying capacity on the roof should be heeded, not only for the sake of the physical ability of a roof to do such, but also about the vehicle dynamics. YOUR LIFE (and that of other road users) depends on you understanding that

Oh, on the question who came first, the chicken or the egg? Maybe it was the rooster

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

I have a FR roofrack, and intend to load in excess of 50kg on it. It has the "thule" type mounts on the current rails.

25l water, my tent and side awening.

If that is too much asked, then it is not worth it to have a roof rack.

Surely less than double the claimed allowable weight will be fine.................

Surely.....

Suzuki Jimny
    Underbody Protection
    40mm Lift with Gabriel HDP's
    Some form of sound.

Default Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof

OK, so this is my last comment on this tread.
    I am happy for you that you problem has been solved and that you may again load your roof rack to your heart's content.
    May I recommend that you once again re-read All of the tread, also regarding the inputs by many others, on the following:
    • The effect of movement on metal fatigue
    • That the vehicle manufacturer recommended carrying capacity on the roof should be heeded, not only for the sake of the physical ability of a roof to do such, but also about the vehicle dynamics. YOUR LIFE (and that of other road users) depends on you understanding that

Oh, on the question who came first, the chicken or the egg? Maybe it was the rooster
    Lets quickly ignore the fact that the roof broke and ask the following question: Wonder why the Front Runner rail broke?

Maybe due to the rail failing, it had some effect on the area on the vehicle.

Maybe an investigation must be done to understand how 3CR12 stainless that have been powder coated broke on a 90 degree bend.

We all focus on the one thing, the roof - but not the question about the two rails that broke. My guess is that one thing led to another.
    Last edited by Rebel 4x4; 2019/08/19 at 07:20 PM.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Agree. Common sense has to prevail. If I make and sell a RR which can handle 500kg, will I be to blame if the manufacture's specs are exceeded? Manufacture's specs trump everything. And BTW, I did load my home built RR on my Defender by about that amount once on a 100km trip.

You do not find claims against the fuel companies because their fuel enabled them to speed, or against the vehicle manufactures, who put in too strong motors causing them to speed.
    Remember, the track rails broke on two places as well....

Your thoughts?
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Dvan View Post
    I have a FR roofrack, and intend to load in excess of 50kg on it. It has the "thule" type mounts on the current rails.

25l water, my tent and side awening.

If that is too much asked, then it is not worth it to have a roof rack.

Surely less than double the claimed allowable weight will be fine.................

Surely.....

You only now have half the problem. You don’t have the FR rails, so that won’t fail you......
    Sent from my iPhone

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Lets quickly ignore the fact that the roof broke and ask the following question: Wonder why the Front Runner rail broke?

Maybe due to the rail failing, it had some effect on the area on the vehicle.

Maybe an investigation must be done to understand how 3CR12 stainless that have been powder coated broke on a 90 degree bend.

We all focus on the one thing, the roof - but not the question about the two rails that broke. My guess is that one thing led to another.

The effect of movement on metal fatigue?!

Remember, the track rails broke on two places as well....

Your thoughts?
    it wasn't the track rails.. the Jimny did not have rails - it was the L bracket which joins the feet to the rack. Mine broke in a similar manner
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2019/08/19 at 09:19 PM.

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast