Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    If the "moving" weight (read dynamic) is 80kg, how would most average person determine/measure the static weight?
    Dynamic weight is a very complex number. As the mass of the item that can be loaded will vary depending on the potential energy. The weight is the mass multiplied by 9.8... if you want to get technical then please note the difference between mass and weight.
    This discussion is finding the maximum mass of items loaded on a RR.

Now if you have as you say 80kg Dynamic load limit(it can’t actually be as dynamic load is in Newton’s not kg. I’m guessing they converted the Newton’s back to mass), your mass of objects loaded could vary from 1kg to 80kg. As the force is determined by the distance travelled. Now being a modern rack with all its fancy mounting points for everything, nothing should be launched up from the rack of floating above it thereby creating a distance which would then equate to a force giving you a dynamic load.
    Even if it was launched upwards from the rack the same item with a mass of 20kg would have different forces each time it bounced up as the distance would increase or decrease therefore creating different dynamic loads.
    Therefore dynamic weight limits are useful for engineering in a closed environment but it would be very difficult to apply it to your roof rack loading masses. There are so many variables that you would spend longer calculating every possible scenario than what your length of holiday would be.

I’m assuming the 30kg limit for the Jimny is for the roof rails and is based off of a dynamic load estimate/test performed by Suzuki. A full replacement rack of any design would make this estimate null and void. As the actual STATIC weight the roof can handle is the mass of the car. This is a standard for accident purposes. Now obviously if you drop a ton on the roof it would collapse. But place it gently and in theory the roof should handle the mass placed upon it. So you can see the dilemma when it comes to the loading mass of a roof rack. It all depends on the movement of the items i.e. how much force is created.

Play it safe and keep it low. If a company claims 80kg dynamic load then I would not load more than 60kg even if every item is secured to the rack as something may come loose and a small bump could create the 80kg of dynamic load which would damage the rack.

I generally only keep fuel and wood up there. Stuff you don’t want in the car. Never gone past 50kgs and had zero problems. Although disclaimer I’m not using a FR rack as is the one in question but the same principles apply.

Another disclaimer I have not gone into detail about dynamic load and the calculations just a brief overview so if my brevity has caused something to be misconstrued and another engineer comes along please correct me/or explain better where I may have faulted.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - 40mm Lift Kit, Steering Damper, Tow Bar, DIY Backboard and underbody plates

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheldon93 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    it wasn't the track rails.. the Jimny did not have rails - it was the L bracket which joins the feet to the rack. Mine broke in a similar manner
    Correct it was the L bracket both sides. Did you have any damage on your roof?

Quote Originally Posted by tomthomas View Post
    Correct it was the L bracket both sides. Did you have any damage on your roof?
    no my roof wasn't damaged... But I do have the front runner tracks

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    FR told me 80kg - moving.
    I used the original Suzuki holes for the old roof bars - we did not drill any new. I wonder if this is why I have not had any hassles?
    They mailed me and said that they understand Suzuki's allowed weight is only 30 kg - did not mention what the rack could carry. I used the rail that fits on the 8 roof nuts only. Not sure how it differs from your roof bars but have a look at the images I posted where I moved the position of the bars - images tells the best story

no my roof wasn't damaged... But I do have the front runner tracks
    Glad that you did not have roof damage.. really not a nice experiance believe me. Question then comes to mind on my side which failed first - roof or foot piece and I think the answer to this will never be answered. Tx anyway for your post.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tomthomas For This Useful Post:

The effect of movement on metal fatigue?!
    On the roofrack rails? Isn’t that part a frontrunner issue or concern?
    Sent from my iPhone

it wasn't the track rails.. the Jimny did not have rails - it was the L bracket which joins the feet to the rack. Mine broke in a similar manner
    I know, my explanation was not good.
    Sent from my iPhone

Just as an aside … this thread and my experience got me thinking about loading in general, and I think a lot of us are probably guilty of overloading when we travel. This has me seriously considering getting a trailer and moving the load from my GV to the trailer.

If we are stopped and asked to weigh our vehicles at a weighbridge, it doesn't matter about what you think, (yes officer I have upgraded my suspension for the extra weight ) your vehicle has a set mass it can carry - in my case with the GV it is 417kg, and this has to include all the extras you have added to your vehicle.

I just make it, if travelling alone and without my tent - if I add those I am at least 100kg over … food for thought
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2019/08/20 at 04:41 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

Just as an aside … this thread and my experience got me thinking about loading in general, and I think a lot of us are probably guilty of overloading when we travel. This has me seriously considering getting a trailer and moving the load from my GV to the trailer.

If we are stopped and asked to weigh our vehicles at a weighbridge, it doesn't matter about what you think, (yes officer I have upgraded my suspension for the extra weight ) your vehicle has a set mass it can carry - in my case with the GV it is 417kg, and this has to include all the extras you have added to your vehicle.

I just make it, if travelling alone and without my tent - if I add those I am at least 100kg over … food for thought
    Food for thought. Weight can easily increase without you knowing it. Exactly like after a nice Christmas holiday
    Sent from my iPhone

May I retract my earlier withdrawal please?

On Dave's post re over packing. Yes! We all do that, don't we.
    With that in mind (and because I am maybe more mindful of my age when picking stuff up?) I have compile a spreadsheet of all the stuff that we pack and added the mass of each item. We do not always pack the same - depends on where we go)

So that spreadsheet acts as my check list, and simultaneously, also as a mass calculator.
    So I know beforehand my gross mass, as well as what/how much goes where (bin/canopy, inside, and roof rack which is on the DC)

I learned two things from this, and it is valuable even if you have done the exercise only the first time and has become lazy later on:
    1. You will be shocked how much you pack and how your GVM escalates.
    2. In terms of volume, how MUCH stuff 35kg or 50kg, etc. can actually be. And I mention this with this thread in mind. VOLUME wise, you can pack a LOT on a roof rack (even if you are limited to 35kg as apparently the Jimny is (weight of roof rack excluded). And that is really why I went a roof rack - to pack all the ground sheets, some chairs, and if needed, some or all of the bedding on top. And this is my message to TomThomas. A roof rack can offer a Jimny a LOT, especially if you exceed that limit somewhat - like we all do

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

May I retract my earlier withdrawal please?

On Dave's post re over packing. Yes! We all do that, don't we.
    With that in mind (and because I am maybe more mindful of my age when picking stuff up?)

1. And this is my message to TomThomas. A roof rack can offer a Jimny a LOT, especially if you exceed that limit somewhat - like we all do

Welcome back.. In short this for Jimny owners to see what could happen and each owner can take this in a way he/she deems fit and not about my "hearts desire" neither is it about age neither is it about anything but the relation between the Jimny roof and FR rack. The message is clear and I'm repeating this - roof capacity 30kg in total less rack weight of 24kg thus 6 kg available so what can you load to stay within the set rule? Did you know Suzuki went into a partnership with FR on the roof racks to enhance and increase sales? Did you look at the roof profile vs the rack foot mout, one rounded and the other flat? Did you look at the roof structure where the roof studs are mounted?
    =hatjohan;4209773]Really? One must be very naive to blame FR. "Naive?" You said this.

Well tx for the message but you quoted "It is ALL there in you vehicle owners manual AND in front of your eyes on the FR product" and now "A roof rack can offer a Jimny a LOT, especially if you exceed that limit somewhat - like we all do"

And yes I will load my RTT again after fixing and securing the mounts on the roof - read my post how I did that and this does not make me irresponsible.

Have a great roofracking day👍👍

Welcome back.. In short this for Jimny owners to see what could happen and each owner can take this in a way he/she deems fit and not about my "hearts desire" neither is it about age neither is it about anything but the relation between the Jimny roof and FR rack. The message is clear and I'm repeating this - roof capacity 30kg in total less rack weight of 24kg thus 6 kg available so what can you load to stay within the set rule? Did you know Suzuki went into a partnership with FR on the roof racks to enhance and increase sales? Did you look at the roof profile vs the rack foot mout, one rounded and the other flat? Did you look at the roof structure where the roof studs are mounted?
    =hatjohan;4209773]Really? One must be very naive to blame FR. "Naive?" You said this.

Well tx for the message but you quoted "It is ALL there in you vehicle owners manual AND in front of your eyes on the FR product" and now "A roof rack can offer a Jimny a LOT, especially if you exceed that limit somewhat - like we all do"

And yes I will load my RTT again after fixing and securing the mounts on the roof - read my post how I did that and this does not make me irresponsible.

Have a great roofracking day
    I could tell you about the roof loads I have seen on some Fortuners in the Kalahari ....

Happy days

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

Hi - could not find a post related to my issue so pls bare with me.

I fitted a roof rack on my 2017 Jimny and to my disappointment after doing some corrugation and 4x4'ing I found that my Jimny's roof started to crack on all 4 posts right where the roof rack fits. My roof rack weighs ±24kg and my RTT ±53 plus 2 x 20lt Jerry cans so approximately 120kg on average loaded on the roof.

I must say that the initial cracks was hidden under the foot piece which was not noticeable until I did the rough road.

Anyone encountered a similar problem like this?
    It is a pity you are so uptight about sincere comments (often quite direct - but if you can't take the heat ...)

What part of what we are saying about your TOTAL OVERLOAD of "approximately 120kg" plus the weight of the RR, do you NOT get?! And that it is NOT only about the physical damage you can incur!

I do hope you also report back on all of your future RR misfortunes

By the way, how do you even succeed at your age, to lift a full jerrycan on the roof? I certainly cannot, without real risks.

Enjoy your overlanding
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/08/21 at 10:55 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

21. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Off to Kgalagadi on our annual trip there on Monday with some 70kg on the rack as usual......

I hear racks can break off due to the severe corrugations there - no problems with mine since 2011. Hope my luck continues!

Many thanks for all the useful posts in this thread! Less weight on the roof the better.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/08/23 at 11:03 AM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Off to Kgalagadi on our annual trip there on Monday with some 70kg on the rack as usual......

I hear racks can break off due to the severe corrugations there - no problems with mine since 2011. Hope my luck continues!

Many thanks for all the useful posts in this thread! Less weight on the roof the better.
    Lucky you - safe and happy trip
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2019/08/23 at 05:30 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

Jealous - Enjoy!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Enjoy Paul and have a safe drive - Kgalagadi still on my bucket list so send us some pictures and road conditions.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to tomthomas For This Useful Post:

It is a pity you are so uptight about sincere comments (often quite direct - but if you can't take the heat ...)

What part of what we are saying about your TOTAL OVERLOAD of "approximately 120kg" plus the weight of the RR, do you NOT get?! And that it is NOT only about the physical damage you can incur!

I do hope you also report back on all of your future RR misfortunes

By the way, how do you even succeed at your age, to lift a full jerrycan on the roof? I certainly cannot, without real risks.

Enjoy your overlanding
    Dear Hatjohan,

You question most comments on this forum. Sure you have the answers to life I suppose. Good luck with that.

If you know Tom, then you will know that he can take heat. That was just a stupid comment.
    If you know Tom, you will see him move around and do things like a 40 year old and not the 70 machine he is. Jerry can what?

Hoping that someone will report on future misfortunes, well my friend, I really hope that everyone on this forum judge you by that comment...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to tjoppie For This Useful Post:

Careful, that is double the allowable weight.
    Sent from my iPhone

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast