Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof

1. A Jimny is not an over-landing vehicle.

2. The position of the roof rack foot piece mountings is not the best either (curving).

3. I cannot see how FR can be accountable for the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post

2. The position of the roof rack foot piece mountings is not the best either (curving).

Point 2 is the answer to point 3. That is my take... if the rack had 3 or 4 foot pieces, then there would be no issue... this is FrontRunner’s design and therefore they should take ownership of the design. If they don’t want to cover the damage, at least change the design. And I recon they will after this...

:-) the Jimny is a bit small for overland but let me tell you, Tom made it work somehow... it’s a brilliant little champ... dubbed mountain goat in our traveling adventures...

I would maybe reconsider point 1. My reason is the following.

I followed every overland article from these guys (guy and girl traveled through Africa and called Team Tane) and about 19 650km. Yes, nearly 20 000km overland trip.

If one has not read/follow this trip, one could make an error in judgement about overlanding in a Jimny.

Read below, this is about 2 years old and try to goolge Team Tane and their Jimny’s name Badger.

I’m sure you will remove point 1.

https://m.facebook.com/teamtane/
    Sent from my iPhone

Default Jimny damage on roof where the roof rack fits on to the roof

I followed their trip closely but I am referring to Jimny’s in general and not a sample of one or two.

Out the box a Jimny is not an over-landing vehicle - Did you notice the modifications on that Jimny (I think it was called The Badger).

Nope - Point 1 remains.
    Last edited by HeinrichC; 2019/08/09 at 07:12 PM.

1. I have not driven one yet, but know from friends who own them that point #1. is false. It's all relative and depends to what degree and how much ### you want to take with. It is certainly too small for me who likes some comfort features, but definitely big enough for the basics. There have been quite a few who went down van Zyl's, looking at the signed rocks at the bottom. I'm not convinced that all had modified suspensions.

2. The used mounting positions obviously have fatigue issues, agreed. But if there are specs for these from the manufactures (and FR), then they should be adhered too. BTW, curved surfaces have better stiffness and fatique qualities than flat sections. But mounting positions should be reinforced sections leading forces to major structural elements.

3. Depends what FR promises or what their specs are

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    1. There have been quite a few who went down van Zyl's.

2. BTW, curved surfaces have better stiffness and fatique qualities than flat sections.

3. Depends what FR promises or what their specs are

Going down Van Zyl’s is not over-landing.

When I refer to over-landing I refer to being completely self sufficient and the ability to travel hundreds of kms, self refuel, camp in the middle of nowhere for more than just one night.

Go and look at the roof rack mounting surface on the Jimny’s roof before you make assumptions.

No one will guarantee 100kg + on the roof of the Gen3 Jimny.

Going through a lengthy exercise with the Everest and load capacity, I ended up limiting the driving weight to 75kg. Static weight is no problem and I think the Everest was 150 or 200kg static weight and 100kg Dynamic roof load. The deciding factor, apparently, one must seriously consider is Dynamic load. When things get bouncy and linear and lateral forces start coming into play, that is when things get interesting.

Like bending a piece of sheet metal enough times, it will crack and split. Are the roof structures and mounting points reinforced to deal with excessive Dynamic loads? I am sure drilling holes in the roof must influence the integrity of the roof structure?
    Last edited by AntonN; 2019/08/09 at 07:55 PM.

Going down Van Zyl’s is not over-landing.

When I refer to over-landing I refer to being completely self sufficient and the ability to travel hundreds of kms, self refuel, camp in the middle of nowhere for more than just one night.

Go and look at the roof rack mounting surface on the Jimny’s roof before you make assumptions.

No one will guarantee 100kg + on the roof of the Gen3 Jimny.
    The overlanding term is relative. By your definition it obviously does not fit. Neither does it by my current standards. But to many it can. There was a granny who recently overlanded to Europe in an ancient plat car. My grand dad traveled to St Lucia in the 50's in a plat car. It was overlanding in those days - took 2 to 3 days what now takes less than 5 hours. There were not many BP garages along the dirt roads back then. Transversing through Kaokoland in a Jimny through could be impossible if you want to tick all the POIs

From the pictures shown of the mounting points it's impossible to tell what structure is behind there. I made no assumptions, just mentioned that curved surfaces are more rigid than flat surfaces. I agree that if there is no structure behind the mounting points used by FR, then those fatigue cracks are guaranteed.

Agreed that 100kg+ on a Jimny roof is looking for trouble. Most bigger 4x4s only allow less than that on top

Many people overland on a motorcycle.
    Totally self sufficient.
    So why not in a Jimny?
    Different strokes....so don't generalise.
    It might not work for you. It might work for me.
    Suzuki Jimny
    Underbody Protection
    40mm Lift with Gabriel HDP's
    Some form of sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    The overlanding term is relative. By your definition it obviously does not fit. Neither does it by my current standards. But to many it can. There was a granny who recently overlanded to Europe in an ancient plat car. My grand dad traveled to St Lucia in the 50's in a plat car. It was overlanding in those days - took 2 to 3 days what now takes less than 5 hours. There were not many BP garages along the dirt roads back then. Transversing through Kaokoland in a Jimny through could be impossible if you want to tick all the POIs

From the pictures shown of the mounting points it's impossible to tell what structure is behind there. I made no assumptions, just mentioned that curved surfaces are more rigid than flat surfaces. I agree that if there is no structure behind the mounting points used by FR, then those fatigue cracks are guaranteed.

Agreed that 100kg+ on a Jimny roof is looking for trouble. Most bigger 4x4s only allow less than that on top
    You talk about overlanding.

We had a presentation from our Jimny Club in PE, where they overlanded from Port Elizabeth to the UK...... in a Morris Minor!!!!

The presentation was amazing!
    Sent from my iPhone

Out the box a Jimny is not an over-landing vehicle
    Neither is a Land Cruiser 76??

I doubt the Jimny shares the 1Ton off road capability of the LC. That in principle sorts the limitations in what one takes along.
    I'd rather do an over land trip in a stock LC than a modified Jimny.... but that's just me.
    Comparing a LC with a Jimny is like comparing a spoon with a spade. You can move a ton of sand with both, but which one would you choose to do it with?

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    I doubt the Jimny shares the 1Ton off road capability of the LC. That in principle sorts the limitations in what one takes along.
    I'd rather do an over land trip in a stock LC than a modified Jimny.... but that's just me.
    Comparing a LC with a Jimny is like comparing a spoon with a spade. You can move a ton of sand with both, but which one would you choose to do it with?
    The point is even the venerable Lc is not equipped for over-landing out the box, a fact I would have assumed would be self evident.

People do overland trips hiking on foot with just what's in their backpacks, it's not about size.

If you want to take everything and the kitchen sink you obviously need a bigger vehicle but a Jimny is perfectly acceptable for over-landing if you are the kind of person that's not interested in lugging too much crap with you.

Cruiser is a superb vehicle for overlanding but don't put down Jimny. It is known as the Giant Killer.

We have overlanded in ours for the past eight years with an RTT (No cracks!) over some of the roughest roads. Only drawback is that scores of people come to chat - they can't believe a Jimny is doing this. Jimny is tough!

When it comes to packing we carry a 52l fridge +DC-DC system, cooler box, full size Tentco Gazebo (plus 2.5m ground tent if we need it) and Ammo Boxes.

Would love to drive a Cruiser but there is a bit of a price differential!
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/08/10 at 02:51 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I think this thread is losing its intention from the OP.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    I think this thread is losing its intention from the OP.
    I do not think so. The thread is pointing out that a Gen3 Jimny has its limitations when it comes to adding too much weight on the roof rack and one needs to accept the consequences and not try to blame Suzuki or Front Runner . It was not designed for such a purpose and it is a huge safety concern for other road users.

Not only is the stock mounting points for the roof rack a bit suspect for coping with excessive force; there are only two bolts per mounting point and these bolts are inline (You do not need an engineering degree to understand this point). Also, you have only four mounting points ie one at each corner) and that is it.

Just have a look at the options for mounting foot pieces on this vehicle; much better indeed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4634.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	536823

Other limitations with excessive weight on the roof of a Gen3 Jimny will be emergency braking, emergency swerving (The good old moose test) and a host of others which comes back to my safety concern.

My “out of the box” comment does not refer to driving the vehicle off the showroom floor to Timbuktu but rather the availability of off the shelf “plug and play” accessories from a range of aftermarket suppliers for this purpose.

The Badger was specially kitted out by Wizerd in Jhb and most of that is not available as off the shelf options at any Metro/City in SA; and you have at the most one or two suppliers to choose from that order it from Wizerd in any case.

Then for those that claim their Gen3 Jimny can cruise fine at highway speed with a RRT while towing a loaded trailer with all the camping gear; please just be realistic and admit your Jimny gets asthmatic at the sight of an incline. You will get about 80/85km/Hr as an average speed if you are very lucky. Not to mention the spike in fuel consumption.

Maybe a Eezi-Awn roof rack might have been better, they install rail that the feet attach to so it can spread the load on the roof.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    The point is even the venerable Lc is not equipped for over-landing out the box, a fact I would have assumed would be self evident.

People do overland trips hiking on foot with just what's in their backpacks, it's not about size.

If you want to take everything and the kitchen sink you obviously need a bigger vehicle but a Jimny is perfectly acceptable for over-landing if you are the kind of person that's not interested in lugging too much crap with you.
    I do minimalist camping and my DC is a squeeze.
    What is "overlanding"? For me overlanding is travelling for an extended period, exceeding 2-3 weeks, and taking all your necessities with you i.e. fuel, water, food, cooking ware, sleeping arrangements and this done over vast distances. It may include visits to multiple bordering countries. For that you take everything and the kitchen sink and modify your vehicle to carry the weight. IMPO the rest is called camping.

As far as a LC goes...
    Our 10 day trip into northern Zimbabwe was enough proof of that. Here are some pics of the typical terrain and "roads" we used. No BF's, no Coopers, no suspension, no dual battery. General "chappie" tyres, a shooting rack and a bullbar....Second last day we ran out of water and had to trek 1 hour through the worst terrain I have seen to get to a river. Scooped about 3-400lts and back to camp. Drove back to Harare in the same LC with not and extra rattle or squeak. No punctures and what an unforgettable trip.

I fully understand the love for Jimny's and will never deny their capability, however, for me, I am already squeezing stuff into my DC. I have no issues with the brand or the vehicle, I do doubt its practicality, for my needs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bush-Lunch.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	919.1 KB 
ID:	536864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2623.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	756.5 KB 
ID:	536865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2625.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	536866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2632.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	762.2 KB 
ID:	536867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3066.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	731.4 KB 
ID:	536868  
    Last edited by AntonN; 2019/08/11 at 06:11 PM.

I do not think so. The thread is pointing out that a Gen3 Jimny has its limitations when it comes to adding too much weight on the roof rack and one needs to accept the consequences and not try to blame Suzuki or Front Runner . It was not designed for such a purpose and it is a huge safety concern for other road users.

Not only is the stock mounting points for the roof rack a bit suspect for coping with excessive force; there are only two bolts per mounting point and these bolts are inline (You do not need an engineering degree to understand this point). Also, you have only four mounting points ie one at each corner) and that is it.

Just have a look at the options for mounting foot pieces on this vehicle; much better indeed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4634.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	536823

Other limitations with excessive weight on the roof of a Gen3 Jimny will be emergency braking, emergency swerving (The good old moose test) and a host of others which comes back to my safety concern.

My “out of the box” comment does not refer to driving the vehicle off the showroom floor to Timbuktu but rather the availability of off the shelf “plug and play” accessories from a range of aftermarket suppliers for this purpose.

The Badger was specially kitted out by Wizerd in Jhb and most of that is not available as off the shelf options at any Metro/City in SA; and you have at the most one or two suppliers to choose from that order it from Wizerd in any case.

Then for those that claim their Gen3 Jimny can cruise fine at highway speed with a RRT while towing a loaded trailer with all the camping gear; please just be realistic and admit your Jimny gets asthmatic at the sight of an incline. You will get about 80/85km/Hr as an average speed if you are very lucky. Not to mention the spike in fuel consumption.
    I am referring to other comments made that is off topic.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Maybe a Eezi-Awn roof rack might have been better, they install rail that the feet attach to so it can spread the load on the roof.
    This seems to be a better option than the FR.
    Sent from my iPhone

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast