Hilux Revo: Cellphone Dash Mount & TPMS

Default Hilux Revo: Cellphone Dash Mount & TPMS

Good day Community,

I want to find out from fellow Hilux Revo owners what they have done in terms of a cellphone dash mount to keep the cellphone in view while driving? I had a vent type mount in the previous car, but that doesnt fit in the middle vents of the hilux dash and i dont want to have it on the RHS of the steering wheel for 2 reasons... 1. Affirmative shopping while driving... 2. Feels odd to have it on the RHS to be honest.

I have seen some TPMS apps available on for the Android devices in the playstore and it made me think it could be a nice addition to the Hilux, seeing that the pre-facelift 2.4 didn't come out with the on board TPMS. Essentially all TPMS systems use Bluetooth to transmit the signal from each wheel to the controller, thus allowing you to monitor the actual pressure of each wheel. So, why not have the cellphone be the controller? What are your thoughts? Anyone with some experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.4GD-6 D/C 4x4 A/T

Default Re: Hilux Revo: Cellphone Dash Mount & TPMS

I know it is a lot more expensive than a phone holder, but perhaps explore the option to fit a radio that is Android/apple carplay compatible and then you don't have to worry about the phone!

Regards
    Riaan

2.8 GD6 AT 4x4 DC
    BL 466

thanks Riaande, i am considering that option too... just budget doesn't allow for that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Birra View Post
    Good day Community,

I want to find out from fellow Hilux Revo owners what they have done in terms of a cellphone dash mount to keep the cellphone in view while driving? I had a vent type mount in the previous car, but that doesnt fit in the middle vents of the hilux dash and i dont want to have it on the RHS of the steering wheel for 2 reasons... 1. Affirmative shopping while driving... 2. Feels odd to have it on the RHS to be honest.

I have seen some TPMS apps available on for the Android devices in the playstore and it made me think it could be a nice addition to the Hilux, seeing that the pre-facelift 2.4 didn't come out with the on board TPMS. Essentially all TPMS systems use Bluetooth to transmit the signal from each wheel to the controller, thus allowing you to monitor the actual pressure of each wheel. So, why not have the cellphone be the controller? What are your thoughts? Anyone with some experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
    I am using the X bracket from Ram and suction cup on the lower right side of the screen also installed a USB switch on the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDonkie View Post
    I am using the X bracket from Ram and suction cup on the lower right side of the screen also installed a USB switch on the bottom
    +1 on the RAM X-Grip. Also using one. I drilled 2 holes in the dash and mounted a diamond 1" ball. I've found that a properly installed RAM mount does not diminish resale value. Sold a drilled and mounted ball in by last bakkie and all the potential buyers were impressed by it being there.

On my cruiser I have 2 drilled and mounted above the radio on top of the dash. One for the GPS other for the phone.

I know the OP said he doesn't want it on the right hand side close to the window for affirmative shopping reasons. But I'm going to put this out there anyway. RAM sell a post mount for motorcycles. This post can be used with a M6 bolt to replace one of the bolts on the grab handle. This provides you with a ball mount around the grab handle area.

Maybe try this?

https://www.rammount.co.za/product/RAM-166-UN7U/

Not sure about the cost
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

ram stuff is proper, have a mount for my ipad in the cruiser and no issues at all

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
    Maybe try this?

https://www.rammount.co.za/product/RAM-166-UN7U/

Not sure about the cost
    What I have

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

I passed a local China Shopping complex and went into one of the Cellphone shops. Got myself one of these magnet type holders:

Spent R80.00 and i am very pleased with the outcome. It is very sturdy and the magnet is attached with a sort of "rubber/poly" type adhesive. Seems like it will come off with some effort without leaving marks/residue.

Now to find a TPMS app to work with the phone and test with some friends transmitter and see if it works.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190813_160851.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	537168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-08-13 at 15.51.22.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	537169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-08-13 at 15.47.46.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	537170  

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Birra For This Useful Post: